Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    He might not be a lock if they start falling out of the top 4. But I still think they can very realistically get him even if they end up in Europa territory or worse. For that kind of money, at his age, sometimes you just want to be closer to your family and friends. And he can obviously walk into a good run of starts at Chelsea, because he's better than any of the current wingers. And he has many years ahead to play in Champions League.

They should be spending some of that Russian money on a left back though. That is the most glaringly deficient position.

2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Is there any sort of rule of thumb about carrying a large salary for a bench/cup player? Might they be inclined to unload him if he’s not getting regular league first team minutes?

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Assuming Sancho is coming this summer.

I don't see any reasons why both Sancho and Pulisic can't be on the field together on opposite wings.

CHO has not shown that he's clearly better than Pulisic. Heck, he's not even at Pulisic level yet. Given the current form/productivity, I find it hard to find a legit manager picking CHO over Pulisic in the 11.

Willian is on his declining years, and I don't think Chelsea and the board is going to give Wilian a multi year contract to stay around.

Pedro is as good as gone. Looks like it's going to be CHO, Pulisic, and hopefully Sancho next year.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I would think it would make them more reluctant to unload/ loan him if they can't find another team willing to pay his wages. Still, I think it will work out for him either way. He has the right attitude and a lot of teams would love the exposure that comes from having an american star.

5. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I agree. Pedro and Willian are not long term solutions. I think the development wingers will be Pulisic/CHO/Sancho. Depending on whether they get another AM, you might have to add Mount into that equation though. And we all know Lamps loves him some Mount.

6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    legit manager ...

7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The good news for Pulisic is that this team has been playing like shiite. He needs to impress when he gets back.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    CFC playing like shite is not in CPs best interest and I doubt if he considers that "good news." He doesn't really need all that pressure to be the "savior" he just needs to be a "part" of the team. The last thing he needs is to feel so much pressure that he reverts to trying to play hero ball.

dams repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He already has that pressure. He need the internal motivation to prove himself to be who he knows he can be. He's Rey! He's the Prince That Was Promised! He's Batman

Chelsea continues to suck which helps him to regain a starting spot but it could also imply the whole squads need an overhaul which could be detrimental to him.

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    In other news, RIP Kobe.

11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine that anyone costing that much is a lock for any team at this point. I don't know that Chelsea can afford that much when they have a couple of other pressing needs at the moment in defense and a back-up to the 9 position.

12. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Why? You want Chelsea to forget about defending?

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I wouldn't put the choice quite so starkly, but yes.

14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    There are 7 other players out there.

15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Yes, that's how modern good teams defend.

EruditeHobo and superdave repped this.
  16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Leicester City 2/1
    Man U 2/17
    Spurs 2/22
    Bayern Munich 2/25

WheezingUSASupport and smokarz repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Offense is your best defense.

18. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    That's probably why the very good offensive players of Liverpool don't play defense.

superdave repped this.
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TO forget about something, don't you first have to think or know about it? I mean if they are thinking about defending now, then yes they ought to just go ahead and fugged about it, It would be an insult to feces to call their defense shite.

20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

It's not the players, it's the system. Chelsea is not Liverpool. Lampard is not Klopp.

Liverpoo/Klopp is one and only. The reference is pointless.

21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Klopp gon Klopp I wouldn't include Liverpool in the one and only though. He did pretty good at BVB. He just needs resources, and his type of players are not cheap. He could have done what he has done at 'pool at a couple of handfuls of clubs that have similar, or even more resource.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I do agree with this. When I think of Klopp, I think of his systems; they way he get his teams to play.

Could he do the same thing elsewhere, yes. Could he could it with other players, yes. Could replace Mane, Salah, and Firmino and still achieve the same level of success. I would think Yes.

It's his system and his style, not necessary the players. That's what I am trying to say.

Sadly, when I see Lampard's team; I am not exactly sure how or what his team plays to be honest.

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe you should have tuned into Klopp's first handful of months at Liverpool... sure, they made a couple cup finals, but they also finished 8th. The same season, Arsenal finished 2nd. On 71 points. But he was given time, and look what he did with it.

I'm not saying Frank is some great manager, but until he gets at least a couple transfer windows to build the team in his image no one will ever be able to fairly label him as anything other than a scapegoat for a somewhat imbalanced squad, which is what Chelsea are right now. And anyone else you bring in is most likely going to need the same kind of timeframe, whether they are better than Frank or not.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    True on both points.

neems and EruditeHobo repped this.