Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same initial thought, and there was a little hyperbole ("not just fitting in, but standing out") in the piece, but it was a pretty good little segment. The interviewer seemed to know very little about his national team experience and also didn't go into the failure to qualify, but I still think for the neophyte, it was a good intro to who Pulisic is and why it might be of interest for non-traditional soccer fans to keep an eye on him.

I am of the opinion though that he's never going to be that superstar that we need to really grow the interest in soccer. He may have the talent and the success, but he has very little on screen charisma. He talks a lot about confidence on the field, but he seems very insecure in discussions with interviewers (doesn't hold eye contact, speaks in very simple platitudes). That's not atypical and for him I don't get the sense that he really gives a rat's a$$ about it, but it also makes him not the ideal spokesperson for bigger brands that are generally important to make someone a true global icon.

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The headline probably should have read:

“Christian Pulisic takes the American soccer media by storm!”

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    That's easy to fix. Get yourself a celebrity wife.

Beckham was nowhere near a household name, until he gets with Victoria.

4. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    CP also does not have Beckham's look and hair do.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    he’s got the arm tats

6. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    That's a bit harsh. He is a just turned 21 years old soccer player. That he is not a polished media spokesman should not be a surprise.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In short, he needs to date Billie Eilish.

Centennial repped this.
  8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    His game is plenty charismatic. People will tune in to see what he might do. Then when he does it, that's charisma enough. If he stays healthy he will generate gobs of excitement and interest. His boring interviews don't matter. He's an introvert. People understand that. His game is extroverted.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So far he doesn't get on Twitter he still has a shot.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Freddy Adu have a celebrity girlfriend for a while?

Didn't work out that great for him...

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, perhaps not in terms of his soccer career, but as a general rule I would say don't knock it until you've tried it.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    ma
    Maybe for you. The movie is Bend it like Beckham, not Bend it like Posh.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm sure it's just me, but I would love to see CP publicly call out Lampard for playing CP when CP said he (CP) was 100% (but wasn't).

neems repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate hurdle in an otherwise promising 1st season for Chelsea.

Chelsea will probably be missing him as well, as they try to get top 4. But it's a chance for CHO to step up and deliver on some of his promise as well, and keep them in the fight until CP gets back.

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHO has certainly come around in his last two appearances. He doesn't look nearly as dynamic as CP... but he has more size and is still quite quick. Furthermore, I still think he may not be 100% recovered from that injury so I expect him to get better as the season progresses both physically and based on the reps. CP is missing crucial time and I think CHO can pick up some of the slack.... but Frank has to be concerned with how thin they are a Winger with Pedro looking like a shell of his former self and CP on the shelf. Seems like they have to get a winger during the window.... but Frank says he is prepared to go without:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/17/frank-lampard-prepared-no-chelsea-signings

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would imagine Posh doesn't make it bend, but makes it rather rigid. SO maybe straighten it like Posh?

Streaky Bacon and Winoman repped this.
  18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    It only works if you put in the effort. Adu was resting on his laurels the second he signed with DC United.

19. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    “Bend it like Posh”, not ashamed to admit I’d watch that movie.

ebbro and Winoman repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    You bet Posh Bends It for Beckham.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I find her hideous. A head atop a toothpick.

lmorin repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In some parallel universe, today it's a day of Yank on Yank violence, with Deandre Yedlin facing Christian Pulisic on the same side.

In this one, though, both are injured.

Method repped this.
  23. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Rarer for one or both of them to be healthy than actually playing, unfortunately.

24. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    He had just broken through and was starting to get recognition as a player. She absolutely boosted him, but his looks and abilities alone would have probably made him a star eventually.

Pulisic doesn't really have competition for stardom in the US. He doesn't need that special "It" factor some players have. He just needs to be competent on the field.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    It's unfortunate. This game is on national TV, on NBC.