Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    I think that he may have been playing more on the right side for the first several games in the league. He doesn't seem to play the same way when he is on the right, and is much less effective, from what I've seen. When he cuts inside, well, we're seeing what happens when he is on his strong foot coming through the middle of the box.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  2. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    #29427 Noriega7, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Good point.

The question is, "on average" does the player who doesn't play for a long stretch of time settles faster than the player that is at least getting continuous regular bench minutes ?

I still believe players who plays regularly will settle faster than the guy that is left on the bench for 2-3 months...You are more likely to learn while you're playing instead of not playing at all.

For every players like CP who got back on the team after a long lay-off and produced, I can point to 5 players who couldn't settle after being benched for so long...

Basically, CP's case is not the normalcy.

We simply never hear about the players that were benched to help them settle, but never improved after they got re-introduced to playing time.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably depends on the player.

But either way, the point remains that only one thing happened -- CP was brought along somewhat slowly, or if you want to call it "benched" briefly after not starting amazingly, you can -- and then after that he began to be impactful and went on a tear when Chelsea's fixtures eased up a bit, the team could gel a little bit, and now he's in fantastic form. That's objectively what happened, depending on the language you want to use.

Maybe it could have happened another way! But it did happen this way. So giving Lampard some credit for that, for getting CP sorted out tactically/positionally, and perhaps even mentally/emotionally, that's not some gigantic stretch. Certainly not as much as claiming that CP would have done better if he were played more, earlier! Because you're comparing something that didn't happen to something which happened.

Doesn't necessarily mean that's the exact reason it happened, and it doesn't mean you're wrong... but without knowing a lot of the behind-the-scenes specifics and taking some of CP's own quotes on the matter... downplaying the possible elements which contributed to what we actually witnessed, what did happen with his play, seems silly.

zanderbz, ebbro, orcrist and 2 others repped this.
  4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is only logical to give Lampard some credit for Pulisic's current form. In the alternate universe, where Pulisic started every game, maybe he would be in better form, maybe worse form? Who knows and who cares. He's in great form now and Lampard's team selections and trainings are a factor in that. I don't see any fault of Lampard here, although I may not have liked having my boy benched and left off the squad for that brief period.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    #29431 smokarz, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Method repped this.
  7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    What I always wanted to see most in our Yanks is some meanness and nastiness in their games. I am starting to see that in Pulisic.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    CP's career was ded saved by him getting the early hook v. Canada.

That's some truth soup served cold, bruh.

superdave repped this.
  10. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    #29435 matabala, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    That is NOT a 10' rim. He has good jumping ability but there's no way he's getting his wrist 6-8" above a legit 10' rim as in the video. That's a Euro training room with a 8-9' basket.

Stop the frame when he still has his "plant" foot completely on the floor and his arm fully extended. Then look at the distance between the bottom of the net and his ball hand. That is nowhere near the distance you should see between the bottom of a standard 10' net and the outstretched arm of a guy with a 5'8" reach.

striker repped this.
  11. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I played basketball in NYC. I met many guys 5'8 or shorter that had incredible leaping ability. My son, who played soccer at a high level could hang on the rim. He is 5'8. So, nothing is impossible. Btw, a lot of big guys can't get off the ground.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Haha def a 10’ rim

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I’m 5ft 11 and can’t dunk. Although the video clip of Pulisic looked more like a layup.

ttrevett repped this.
  14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have read stuff where he says he's got good hops and can dunk

15. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Why else would the interviewer ask if that was indeed a legit height rim? He correctly had his doubts.

Pulisic could learn a few things....

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word. He plays way better on the left side.

17. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I think it helped lose the game for the US, that's about it.

wsmaugham repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank does not ******** around! 20k being late to training!
    If you don't pay your fine in 2 weeks it gets doubled!!
    Damn.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Lampard probably first understood fines of that magnitude when his oldest child went to day care.

20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant. Frank has this team humming right now... but there are tougher tests ahead. I am eager to see how well they perform against Man City and Valencia. The former will tell us a lot about whether they are truly ready to challenge for a CL slot and the latter is a near "must-win" if they want to keep this year's CL dream alive.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No one wants to give Beerholder the props, but when history is writ, that will be the turning point... You heard it here first.

laxcoach repped this.
  22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A first class plane ticket going an ocean away from Egg Head was the turning point.

23. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are all truly idiots and he is genius. All hail the egg.

freisland repped this.
  24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what I'm getting out of this is that Lampard is using the same system as Dortmund. Because I heard that Pulisic is just a system player.

laxcoach, Namdynamo, ebbro and 2 others repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Puli had his best games coming in from the left for Tuchel, so yeah.