Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    We undoubtedly saw him on a CL caliber squad already, in addition to seeing him play in the champions league, literally. Leicester also have a strong chance to be back in the CL, it seems the power in the premier league is shifting

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Of course, he posted something on his instagram or twitter feed of him dunking a year or two ago. Implies a vertical leap of about 40".

3. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    #29403 Noriega7, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    That explains his ability to challenge guys 4-5 inches taller for headers.

CP is about 5'8, so if he can actually dunk on a "NBA height" rim that's about 10 feet high, that's extremely impressive and freakish leaping ability...

Just to compare, only a few guys in NBA history that are under 6'feet tall, had the ability to dunk a ball...So doing it at 5'8 put CP in a special group.

Winoman and orcrist repped this.
  4. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Find the video althought it's hard to check on how high the rim is....Looks fair height to me.,

Pegasus, Namdynamo, Bajoro and 5 others repped this.
  5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I'm 5'10" and used to be able to dunk, and I wasn't the only person on my HIGH SCHOOL team under 6' who could dunk. It's worlds harder to make the NBA or a high level college team sub 6 feet than it is to build up your vertical to dunk.

CP is a big basketball fan. There is no way he's putting video of himself dunking on a 9 foot hoop. Though I confess that I recently dunked on a 9 foot hoop to freak out my son and his friends a few times before they figured out it was low...

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me a traitor, but I had no interest in seeing CP fly back to the States and then to some tiny island to play in meaningless games for an idiot coach, so I'm stoked they found some reason for his to get left off the roster. I only wish they could've done the same for McKennie, Dest and Sargent.

Heal up CP, have a nice mini break!

Namdynamo, Bajoro, madvillain and 3 others repped this.
  7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Das war kein Dunk!

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I am absolutely with you bud.

You can field our U21 squad and still beat Cuba 8-0.

9. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be able to beat Canada without Pulisic provided they actually "show up" for the game and have a decent game plan. Neither seemed to be the case with the prior Canada match.

10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure about that? I guess we are going to find out... because if Canada beats us again then they are the #2 team in CONCACAF and we are a joke. Way too much talent... even w/o CP to be losing to Canada 2-0. I literally have no faith in the team anymore because GB continues to have them play a terribly uninspiring brand of football. I have a bad feeling about this Orlando game.

11. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of having a "decent game plan" is coaching up that "decent game plan". I agree our current coaching does not inspire confidence given recent results.

TimB4Last, Winoman and HScoach13 repped this.
  12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

It ultimately comes down to Herdman vs 3G, and Herdman is the clear winner here.

13. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he learned from experience.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping he would sitout Cuba but play against canada. oh well.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's had consistent injury issues so it is wise to not press it.

16. Three Rivers

Three Rivers Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warum nicht?

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sorry but that's a strawman argument. There are a few people that excused SG doing that, (as there are people that excuse people from their own countries or clubs excuse their own players), but the vast bulk don't over here.

I think the only real difference is that most latin supporters excuse diving whereas most English fans don't.

WrmBrnr and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Absolutely love that he's staying in London and building equity with his team mates and club.

LouisianaViking07/09 and laxcoach repped this.
  19. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, most of his teammates are away on international duty so I doubt he'll gain much additional understanding with them by sticking around. However, I'm glad USMNT and Chelsea prioritized his long-term health this season over shoter-term impact in the Canada game. It could be a mess without him, though.

WrmBrnr and Winoman repped this.
  20. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you pointed out some valid differences in his play pre and post benching - I think it is a stretch to credit the not playing for helping him play better. Yes after the super cup he was not as effective, but the better way out of that is to play yourself out. Be with your teammates, learn how they act and what they do in real game situations, it's like jazz not american football. Time on the bench never helped me and I bet you if you surveyed a 1000 players maybe 1 of those thousand would say "yeah, not playing totally helped me play better". All the benching did was reduce the amount of real in-game time he had with his teammates and delay where he is now. Unless you think it made him mad and play harder, which I don't buy, since that has never been his problem.

MPNumber9 and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a nice read. TY.

He has exceeded my early expectations.... and now I have to admit that my expectations have gone thru the roof. Based on his current form, burgeoning confidence and quality of teammates I am now expecting him to net an assist or goal roughly every 90 minutes played.... That is hard to do over the course of a season.

I am eager to see how he plays against Man City... Intl Break right now just straight up sux... I wish that game were set for this weekend. Hard to get geeked for a GB led, Pulisic-less USMNT squad.

22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with this premise most of the time but I do think there are times when taking a step back can help a player in the long-run and I think this might have been the case for CP. He was on very little rest and had to deal with a move to a new team, league and city/country. Things were probably moving a mile-a-minute when he was thrust into the fire. I see this kind of thing all the time in baseball... where a hitter just isn't comfortable initially after a trade to a new team and needs a breather to get his brain right. Getting benched allowed him to take time to get used to the new system and his teammates w/o a ton of in-game scrutiny. The difference in his body language and the way he attacked opposing Ds after returning was glaring. Success breeds success and then the hat-trick put it over the top. Now he knows he belongs and he looks fearless on the pitch because of it.

y-lee-coyote and Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just imagine if we leave all those guys out and destroy Canada without them, playing better than with them.

Next roster would have 23 MLSers. And Egg would be here forever.

24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    They should be able to beat Canada 4-0 without Pulisic .... but with Berhalter demotivating the team, 1-0 will be wishful thinking.

madvillain and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.