Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Meanwhile one post before yours: 'he is not an English youth and that is that. Lampard knows where his bread is buttered'

Abraham and Tomori aren't direct competition for Pulisic but this thread has built up a narrative that Lampard is biased towards young English players and is picking them unfairly over others even though they aren't any good. Mount has been the main focus of that because he's direct competition (you laughably called him a championship standard player earlier today) but the others get brought in as supporting evidence (you criticised Abraham in that same post but now want to tell us he has nothing to do with Pulisic).

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27152 bct81, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/chelsea...n-pulisic-lack-of-playing-time-is-frustrating

"continue" as in he feels he is already working his hardest. Pretty clear he feels he is working his hardest and Lampard has nothing more to say to him to help him. Put a fork in it.

I have already said I don't believe Lampard. So when he says "his time will come" ... that tells me when CP gets loaned out his time will come. Likely after transfer ban is lifted and they get other talent in. Till then CP is just merchandise on the shelf he may/may not use.

"sometimes it is being tough" ... translated ... Pulisic came to Chelsea and this is way it is. Shut up end and enjoy London as an American tourist. I don't want to hear more questions about this. I have my English youth upwelling talent and that is where I will focus.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/09/28/pulisic-lack-of-chelsea-playing-time-very-frustrating/

from the comment line below on the nbc sports story ... I don't disagree with the poster's attitude btw.

"They bought him to get Americans to watch. He doesn’t belong at that level. Yes he’s by far the best American player today, but that makes him barely playable on a team with players from real fútbol nations. He’s fine, but absolutely not starting material. I know the US needs a hero to root for, but the rest of the world doesn’t care and Chelsea sees him as a marketing tool."

3. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    My days, I'm just going to keep myself from viewing this thread for the rest of the season. The takes here are outrageous. Pulisic is a good player, it takes time to adjust to a new league, and he's lacking confidence judging by the nature of his play. Even the best players go through ebbs and flows in form. Look at Hazard at Madrid, for example. He's looking like a shadow of himself due to a lack of confidence, adjusting to new teammates, and a new league. People need to calm down.

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I see. I like to see their ratings the last 3 games.

I lot of those high ratings are due to their phenomenal early streak. That's streak is gone, I am afraid.

Mount has been pretty average, below average in recent games.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I hope this doesn't end like a Chicharito and ManU situation.

6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't alone. People love the drama. Thread needs a new start.

Klopp has rarely put new players in his system. Culture does mean something. Pulisic just needs time and I don't think Chelsea wants more of the De Bruyne, Salah type situations to keep happening.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Death-To-America crowd on Twitter are certainly loving Lamps.

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd be okay with a Pulisic loan to Real Madrid where he scores a big CL knockout goal. :p

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Let's see if they still do in the next few weeks when they start losing games on the road. They have been fortunate to have a bunch of home games.

10. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Not through anything they did. That header should have been a goal

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Its comments like this that make top leagues around the world want to sign American players.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    All touches from grimsby game. Kudos to the dude putting these together.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    This match was the story of just how poor B&H are as individual footballers. I genuinely cannot understand how you can call yourself a professional footballer if you can't control the simplest of first touches, if you can't pick out a simple pass. How can you hire these guys?

At any rate, Brighton were terrible and they were still in it most of the match.

Pegasus repped this.
  14. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well silver linings. CP played a lot of football in his teens, some time just training will add years to the end of his career, and he will be tanned rested and ready for USMNT with no need to come back early or skip call-ups. But most importantly I don’t have to watch or root for this Chelsea team since he’s not on the pitch. Been tough to watch mostly and they were never my favorite team anyway. I’ll ask Alexa to alert me if he’s in the starting line up... which will probably be in January when lampard gets the boot. Winning the hearts of the Chelsea fans by playing the youth academy kids won’t make up for not winning on he pitch and he’s gone by Boxing Day.

CP is young and has plenty of time - quality will win out in the end and hopefully he will look back on this fall as an important time in his career.

PalmettoSpur and Poet repped this.
  15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    For critics of Lampard here, do you think Chelsea is going to fire him if his team ends up in the top 6 of the league by Xmas?

16. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    #27166 shnaggletooth, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Not sure what Klopp has to do with this topic. Regardless, yes -- CP needs time, but it doesn't appear that he'll get much playing time to improve his situation. The injured players are finally returning and doing well out of the starting gate. This was the scenario many predicted. They are winning games for Lampard, and he'd be a fool to bench on-form starters in place of Pulisic, who might only get cleanup minutes at best from this moment onward. Frankly, I'd do the same thing if I were Lampard. His job is to accumulate league points, not to act as a development coach. Is he winning with Williard and Mason Mount? Then stick with Williard and Mason Mount -- why replace either one with Christian Pulisic?

That $70--plus million transfer fee is the worst thing that could ever had happen to Pulisic. Not only did it unfairly inflate expectations for him, but it makes it nearly impossible for him to get dealt (when Chelsea can finally deal him), because Chelsea will expect some other club to make them whole for the original purchase. Who the hell is going to pay something close to $70 mil for CP?

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Puli's contract is five years. Lampard is not going to last that long.

adi21 and Centennial repped this.
  18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You agree he's not good enough for this level, or that he was bought for marketing reasons?

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Chelsea won't even be 6th this week as one of Arsenal or ManU will jump them after they play tomorrow. The question is will Chelsea get back to 6th - my guess is not. Looking to Xmas Chelsea has a not-too-bad league schedule (but a lot of CL games mixed in): (Bold is home) Citeh, Spurs and probably Arsenal away are obviously problematic and important games. Dunno how real West Ham are this year. I think they won't maintain their good fortune. Everton away could give trouble too. Watford won't. Burnley loves a good tie, it seems.
    I'd guess with Arsenal and ManU both on their heels, Chelsea will enter Xmas in 8th. Will that be low enough to pressure Lampard? Nah. They'd have to lose a serious run of easy home games - You could imagine a bad run starting Nov 23 with a loss to City and going winless into Xmas with maybe some bad CL results in there and some player discontent/Lampard craziness almost being enough, but even then I doubt it. It would have to go really, really wrong for Lampard to be fired at winter break. And he shows no signs of being a complete nutter.
    10/6 Southampton
    Oct 19 Newcastle United
    Oct 26 Burnley
    Nov 2 Watford
    Nov 9 Crystal Palace

Nov 23 Manchester City
    Nov 30 West Ham United
    Dec 4 Aston Villa

Dec 7 Everton
    Dec 14 Bournemouth

Dec 21 Spurs
    Dec 26 Southampton
    Dec 28 Arsenal

20. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Good analysis, but I think the simple answer to the question is duh, no.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, but who has time for that kind of reductive reasoning..? I'm no Proust.

22. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    #27172 matabala, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Always someone else to blame, eh? Your shtick is beyond wearisome. What part of CP isn't the best option for this Chelsea side do you not comprehend? I've never read so many excuse makers and Chicken Littles in my many years of BS YA. Reality is apparently a difficult concept for the virtual youngsters formatted by the conforming comfort of their own computer screen.

23. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    i think staying at Dortmund would have been just as good for his career development..

I love them but not only that, just being in Germany and staying there would have helped him. Going to Chelsea at such a young age (who are notorious for not giving much time to younger players) and then getting upset about the situation is kind of dumb in my eyes.

He has no one to blame but himself for not doing some research on the situation he was getting into.

24. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    He talked to Sarri who left for Juventus, so in a way, you can't blame CP if the coach who signed-off on his transfer suddenly quit to join another team

Lampard probably feel he's under no obligation to play CP. since he wasn't the one who signed off on his transfer.

25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Dortmund’s attackers are just as good. He wouldn’t play much there now.