Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Sarri had no input on transfers and no player should ever join Chelsea because of a manager. They change em like John Terry changes his side piece.

striker and DeCoverley repped this.
  2. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    I'm aware that CP was really a board's transfer but I suspect CP's people thought his style fitted Sarri's style of football.

And I'm sure they were under the impression Sarri would still be there...Maybe they would had thought about it a bit more if Lampard was the coach.

3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A measure of Lampard’s character ... that is why.

4. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His strength at Dortmund was penetrating dribbling and getting behind the D to lay off a pass for the easy tap in by a teammate (such as Auba or Reuss) .... that is just not how Lampard wants Chelsea to play.

So he may never be good for Chelsea as is.

shnaggletooth, USA-Zebuel and lmorin repped this.
  5. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or changes for his teammates WAGs.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    any different than now?

7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    In the Premier League there are lots of sides that sit in a low block against the better sides. Brighton played that way today, nearly all their team was in their own half a lot of the time. I saw a lot of Pulisic when I was watching Sancho at Dortmund and he really struggles when there no space to run into, he lacks the strength, physically and mentally, to put himself about. That's why Lampard will favour Mount over him because if he's not doing much attacking wise he'll be putting pressure on opposition players and closing space.

Pulisic will work better against the bigger sides like Liverpool, as we saw in the Super Cup thing, they'll back their players to beat Chelsea on the front foot and allow space in behind.

I might be biased but I think Hudson Odoi is a different level of talent to him because he can pretty much do everything in those wide forward positions. I don't think he has a weakness. Willian and Pedro are ageing and neither are brilliant, (they are on their day but don't show that level enough) so he'll get plenty of chances going forward.

I think Lampard mentioned that's he's not been at in training every session so he needs to correct that first.

matabala repped this.
  8. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the game today per ESPN. Not encouraging:
    I'd like to see him on one flank and CHO on the other.

smokarz repped this.
  9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they're still a thing and if I can catch it in time I move things. I had a bit of life in the real world get in the way of my modding today. But I agree, it would so much better if people started them, so the meta conversations could be continued in the regular forum threads without folks having to sort their way through the pbp commentary. And oddly enough there are some people who treat the request to do so as tantamount to me parboiling their house pet.

frankburgers repped this.
  10. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That gives you confidence when your boss can not articulate guidance. Truth is that is an avoidance answer by Lumpy - probably because he is tired of being asked. The difference is that Pulisic is not going to whine so only path for Lampard is to loan him out or wait till Mount is injured, or Willian and Pedro stink it up or CHO injures his Achilles again.

11. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since we are close to 1100, would a reset make sense and there can be a reminder?

I think a lot of regular writers forget some people prefer to read and really rely on these threads for accurate info from knowledgeable folks. Even with Twitter and Reddit around now.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    theres more to point to pulisic being at this level as a player than lampard as a manager

lmorin, Hobo, adi21 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Proposed title for new thread:

"London Blues : Christian Pulisic at Chelsea."

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    At least Chelsea can keep a clean sheet against one of the worst attacks in the Prem. That's something.

15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This gets my vote.

Starting to look like the Adu at Benfica thread ages ago.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Sounds like he's not a fan of Lamp either.

Listen, every coaches and mangers have their favorites and certain types of styles or players that they like.

Unfortunately, Pulisic is not the type of player that Lamp seek.

He needs to sit down and have a frank discussion with Lamp and the board by January if he's not able to get off the bench. A loan would be best for everyone. Pulisic wants to play, Lamp has no place for him on his roster. Everyone wins.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Look for them to be back in the negative goal differential by November.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team in the midst of a transfer ban isn’t going to loan out a player that can contribute. Just buckle down, toughen up and make the most of his minutes.

EruditeHobo and striker repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, they have S'ton and NUFC next - both of whom can't score to save their lives. Burnley + fixture congestion probably = shipping a few goals. Watford opens Nov - they're horrible. Then Citeh, Palace (not scoring much) West Ham (scoring ok.)

Biggest Chelski issue right now - Games All the Time. 2 games, a short break, then 18 games in less than 80 days. Can't imagine CP doesn't get minutes. He'll have to do something with them.
    Oct 19 Newcastle United
    Oct 23 Ajax
    Oct 26 Burnley
    Nov 2 Watford
    Nov 5 Ajax
    Nov 9 Crystal Palace

Nov 23 Manchester City
    Nov 27 Valencia
    Nov 30 West Ham United
    Dec 4 Aston Villa

Dec 7 Everton
    Dec 10 Lille
    Dec 14 Bournemouth

Dec 21 Spurs
    Dec 26 Southampton
    Dec 28 Arsenal
    Jan 1 Brighton
    Jan 4 FA Cup

20. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    https://understat.com/league/EPL

Chelsea are 2nd in xG this season. They were 5th last season. Lampard looks like a promising manager actually. They're probably the most exciting side I've seen this season.

[​IMG]

The 3 English players he's picking instead of poor Pulisic are literally Chelsea's highest rated players this season, I'm going to trust his judgment here.

The only thing Pulisic has been good for is getting dispossessed and bullied by defences. A staggering 3.5 turnovers a game and a 33 dribbling percentage.

Had a chance to force his way into the side against Grimsby but got outshone by a winger fresh of a 6 month Achilles tear.

Lampard picking players solely on performances rather than pricetag bodes well for him long term.

Jenks, EruditeHobo, wellno and 2 others repped this.
  21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Shhhh. Don’t bring facts itt.

It’s clear CHO is better than him but willian and Pedro stink. Especially willian.

Gacm32 and Blue_Demon repped this.
  22. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when you have three subs a game and 6 players (not including CP) then a loan is still a better option - at least you get some of his wages accounted for. No brainer since they are not going to play him.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

No I agree, I don't advocate for Pulisic to throw in the towel and quit at the first sight of a challenge.

However, the evidence is piling on that Pulisic is just not the Lamp's type of players.

It's worth to have a direct/honest chat with Lamp by January. Something like...

"Hey Frank, I know I am not you're type of players and you have many better options on your squad, but I want to get on the pitch and play. Can we work out a loan for me to get some minutes elsewhere?"

24. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry folks but my bet is CP gets a total of 10 minutes the next 5 games. Marina at some point will look hard at whether they get more money back by loaning him out. Lampard is not going to play him ... he is not an English youth and that is that. Lampard knows where his bread is buttered and it is in the English media. Even if they are mid table - Roman is not going to unload Lampard and therefore CP is going to live in a permanent dog house. My bet is after 5 more games you will start to hear rumblings from his agent. I could be wrong of course but that is my sense.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I agreed with your argument, but you presented pretty poor evidence.

Tomori and Abraham has nothing to do with Pulisic.

Deeneaus repped this.