Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be getting more PT regardless.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Not complicated everyone: Lumpy lost a match at home in the UCL that he should have won. This was a coaches loss. The game plan, the subs, the line-up.

For me it is a particularly telling loss because Lumpy thinking Wolves and Norwich are the same as Valencia in UCL at home...

I will say it again: If Ross Barkley is the answer, the question is not: which player can we insert to make our team a winner in the UCL.

Willian, didn't have the simple layoff pass that CP provided. Pedro did not have the pace and motivation to scare anyone the way CP has shown in this competition in the past.

CP didn't need to start, but he damn well needed to finish.

adi21 repped this.
  3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Why do you have to miss BvB games? They are still on TV.

WrmBrnr, Cris 09 and Dr.Phil repped this.
  4. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And we are finally developing players who are not just described with words like grit.

5. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    As a thought experiment I've knocked up a list (based on current ability not potential and roughly sorted by how debatable I think the picks are):

All the top six go unsaid.

Leicester - Vardy, Maddison, Ndidi

Wolves - Joao Moutinho, Neves

Everton - Sidgursson, Richarlison, Digne

Palace - Zaha

Bournmouth - Ryan Fraser (second in the league for assists last season), Wilson (14G + 9A last season)

Watford - Gerard Deulofeu

West Ham - Filipe Anderson's form has earned him a Brazil call up, Declan Rice

Norwich - does bigsoccer want to buy into the the Pukki hype?

Burnley - Ashley Barnes perhaps

That's 15/20, the rest I wouldn't bother argue for. I reckon you'd have a hard job arguing Pulisic is better than 5 of those on current ability.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    May I refer you to hundreds of pages of this very thread complaining about his playing time last season?

zanderbz and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I look forward you your post in a few months once CHO is starting over CP.... it’s really alarming how much this thread wants to Stan for Christian. I hope he FINALLY improves in the final third and takes the next step... let’s hope that starts Sunday. But it hasn’t happened yet.

wixson7 repped this.
  8. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m telling you, watch his all touches videos from 2017, he’s improved tremendously in the final third. He’s putting it on a platter for folks. The problem is the middle third. He’s combining well with teammates but not getting the ball close to goal.

Vorian Atreides repped this.
  9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    CP hasn't pulled up trees or anything but he hasn't looked like he doesn't belong or anything. I don't think he has been worse than Barkley or Pedro by any means. Pedro got the call when Mount went down and did nothing. That may or may not mean "Next" since Pedro does have some track history to rely on, but it is a long and grueling season and it isn't like the gaffer actually had a derisive laugh at his expense after his first outing ala tony pulis on brek shea.

I am cool with him putting in a shift and holding a spot in the rotation. He doesn't have to be Eden Hazard 2.0 to keep that spot. I am fine with him playing 1500 mins a year in all comps for CFC. That is probably close to a third of the minutes.

zanderbz and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    FWIW, Chelsea fans are writing Puli in the starting team against 'Pool.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I bet Pulis is going to have a really good game against Pool. He wants to show Klopp he belongs on his roster.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    This is literally a thread for people to discuss Pulisic. I'm actually not sure why anyone who's not a big fan would want to read it. I appreciate those who try to bring proper perspective and honest evaluations ... but this is literally a "Stan" thread.

btlove, onefineesq, appwrangler and 2 others repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, they'll say that until he comes out and doesn't score against L'pool then they'll be clamoring for Willian again. Fickle bunch.

While I'm not excited that he's been planted on the bench for 2 games in a row, is this not what we(as in USMNT fans) would want for our best and our brightest, to be tested at the highest level every day, to have to win a spot over high calibre players, and then also produce on the highest stage to keep that spot? This is what everyone beefs about with MLS: the spot in the starting XI is an afterthought, he doesn't have to do anything but have a pulse and he plays week in and out.

Especially given what we've seen from a kid like CP, he's going to put his head down, not complain and work his socks off to get to the level that Lamps thinks he needs to be. While we all wish CP was already at the level where he was miles better than Pedro or Willian, it just ain't so. Again, I'd rather see him under pressure at Chelsea than starting every game at another team that doesn't have any other options. The kid will be alright. If he's still a rotational player in two years, well then we know what his ceiling is.

striker and derek750 repped this.
  14. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Chelsea problem is not Pedro, Willian, or CP. While Pedro and Willian are getting a little older, they are pretty world-class players, and CP has shown as lately as the pre-season some fantastic play. But somehow at game-time these guys all look less than they are. To me that speaks to coaching (literally what Lampard is telling them - specifically I would love to know what he's telling CP but it looks like he's telling him to do less of some of the great things he can do), tactics, and other personnel - how the midfield is linking to the forwards or whats going on defensively. A better backline would solve a LOT of problems. Not just the center backs. Right now everything depends on Kante the superhuman to come in and fix all of that link up play and free up everyone else. That's a lot to ask and its not the only time he's going to be out injured.

Klopp is in sharing his opinion on CP - gotta feel like CP would be playing a bit freer at 'pool.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpo...opp-pulisic-super-exciting-player-for-chelsea

smokarz repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Only Norwich City have given up more EPL goals than Chelsea...

Only. Norwich. City.

Chelsea have more GA than Wolves, Watford or NUFC.

Chelsea's defense is bad.

It will demoralize the team eventually.

They can't win important games if the defense does not get better.

That is my Ted Talk.

Dirt McGirt, eliwood, russ and 3 others repped this.
  16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    You still have 16 more minutes to fill. Do you tapdance?

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    It is a long season. Take a deep breath.

zanderbz repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I.

Talk.

Slow...

ly.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I saw that, pretty awesome and Klopp is correct on all accounts. Too bad he didn't stay at BVB longer. We are going to see a lot of people in the EPL talking about Pulisic but let's be real,and this isn't directed to you in particular, it is because there are interviewers that are asking them the questions. Klopp didn't just decide to talk about Pulisic; he was asked the question for the American audience.

crews46, zanderbz and wsmaugham repped this.
  20. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks for the link; glad to see Klopp’s professional enthusiasm which is a positive sign.

In the video attached to that article Burley really runs down CP’s current level of play, and the rest of the panel seems in agreement. As former pros, their insight on what it takes to succeed at this level is pretty good. Hopefully Pulisic will get some playing time against Liverpool and demonstrate his overlooked quality. If not, it looks like he’s in for a long stretch on the bench.

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Agreed!

1 - What has been Lampard been telling the players? How to hear someone come out and talk. Probably not now, but if they keep dropping points; we will hear some stuffs soon.

2 - Yes, I can see Klopp getting the best out of Pulisic. But unfortunately Pool is loaded with front 3 talents right now. Maybe if they sell Mane, and that's a very big maybe.

crews46 repped this.
  22. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I am not sure this is a compliment for CP. Good in that he can have a really good game against LFC. Bad in that he does not do that to show that he belongs on the roster of other coaches (IF your assessment is correct).

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Some there seem to know what they're talking about, they didn't have him in the starting lineup against Valencia and they were right.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... he had BVB top of the league not playing him. Him "not caring" had very little to do with it.

Perfectly logical, as far as snap decisions about subs (when dealing with an unanticipated injury) are concerned.

... that is what he said.

Mount is in better form and the other two aren't competing with CP positionally. You really need to stop doing this, it's nonsensical.
    How is Pedro's experience level? Played one or two CL games hasn't he. "In Spain", no less... as if that matters.

onefineesq, An Unpaved Road and striker repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than half the league has multiple players that are as impactful and, more importantly, more productive, than CP right now. Maybe if you said half the league doesnt have young players with as big as potential upside, that's certainly true. But it is fairly clear to those that actually follow the EPL closely, there's no reason to think, right now, CP would be the most impactful/talented/productive player on most EPL teams.

Even if he would be a great benefit to most EPL teams... which he would.

CP isn't Chelsea's most talented player on Chelsea, and isn't Chelsea's most productive player.
    He isn't even Chelsea's most talented or productive attacker.
    He isn't even Chelsea's most talented or productive YOUNG attacker.

So, this is a poor analogy that has no bearing and frankly very little relevance to the new manager at one of the richest and most successful English football clubs in the history of the competition leaving out a young, talented, inconsistent new signing for 2 matches.