Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, honest question here... is a tap in attempt a shot? Or, a "knock on the ball" as you say? I mean, "knocking the ball past the keeper" is pretty much the definition of a shot, at least to simpleton such as I.

When I keep stats I always call that type of ball contact a shot because the ball is directed toward goal. In the same vein, I would count a header attempt as a shot (for example, on a simple scoreboard where only "shots" are shown and not every single possibility of how to score).

2. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched that just now. Sort of meh, as said here. nothing spectacular, nothing "god awful, why is he even on the field?". Just sort of OK.

I did notice at 0:29 and 2:01 that in my mind I could see him taking off but he instead chose to cut back or not just go, and the cutback didn't work. Especially at 0:29. He could have likely beaten that guy just straight up the field but chose to try a cut-back, which the defender anticipated and then won the ball. Hopefully Pulisic's weapons aren't being coached out of him.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem odd to not consider that a shot... don't know what it was, if not that.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    An incredibly bad backpass?

5. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From WhoScored data: CP was not the worst Chelsea player with respect to turning over the ball. The site's "Loss of Possession" stat shows the following # losses per player:
    Emerson 3
    Kantê 4
    Jorginho 0
    Mount 8
    Pedro 8
    Pulisic 7
    Willian 0
    Kovacic 1

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    a synthetic leather facial? dermabrasion!

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yay! He's not the worst!

appwrangler repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attackers whose job it is to do something are going to turn the ball over... not the end of the world. Should still clearly be starting at the weekend, for me. Maybe Frank decides to go with the old guard with Willian & Pedro, and bring CP off the bench? It's possible. All things considered I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck with the youth in CP & Mount.

The real questions remain with the defense at this point, arguably. And they have 2 matches in a row against promoted clubs before it gets real tough again with Wolves & Liverpool. If they don't get it together at the back, with the form Pukki is in, they could easily be on 1-3 points (or so) in gameweek 7.

And to be fair they could also win 2 straight, and then give Wolves and LFC a fight.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Chelsea's D is the big issue and I'm guessing will be all season. Not that everything else couldn't be better too. But they are not tight.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  10. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    Couldn't have said it better myself. High usage attacking players turn the ball over, even Messi.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn, give the kid a chance. He's adjusting to a new league and new club and new pressures.

Winoman repped this.
  12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't a simpleton. However, by "knocking on" I meant attempting to direct the ball around the goalkeeper rather than shooting directly into the net.

It's a grey area for sure. Also, watching it real time vs slow motion doesn't really clarify that moment whatsoever. The rebound sort of makes it a 50/50 situation. Did the keeper get a save for it? That would be an interesting question.

13. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but PL has been notorious for not doing that and so has Chelsea. Look at Salah... Couldn't get time at Chelsea then played well in Serie A and after arriving at Liverpool.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea would be great if Lamps thought this way. Unfortunately I’m sure he’s feeling an incredible amount of pressure to prove himself as a coach. These last two games have not helped him.

15. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Yup...Lampard job is very difficult.It's hard to stick with the kids when managing Chelsea and dropping points.

Hope he stick with CP could I could see him put his trust on the more experienced players and bring CP off the bench next week.

16. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Mount and Pedro had 1 more "loss possession" than CP but keep in mind both Mount and Pedro went 90 minutes...CP was subbed-out at 71 minute mark.

So he had the most turnovers per minutes among the attackers.

But it's cool..I hope he gets better.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Of course, he had a brilliant assist and a great goal called back in the super cup a whole seven days ago. Tying Leicester was disappointing, and the team doesn't look as good as they would like, but I don't think they're far off. They get two promoted teams next - six points and the Man U loss will feel like a write-off. Little bit of excess gloom here.

Gacm32 and zanderbz repped this.
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Because they were running too much, I think. It looked like a yo-yo.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sometimes they do and footballer's careers are short as well... a couple of years in a bad situation can really screw you.

shnaggletooth repped this.
  22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

The point is you choose the club, not the coach.

He chose Sarri, and Sarri is gone before he gets a chance to meet the guy.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Pretty sure you can choose based on the club AND the coach. If you think the current coach is a terrible fit - don't choose that club.

wixson7, shnaggletooth, majspike and 4 others repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Most players make a choice on the coach's reputation and style of play in addition to the reputation (and $$$) of the club.

You wanna be part of EXCELLENCE but most importantly you wanna go where you're wanted and where you feel you can play.

ebbro, madvillain and Suyuntuy repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no evidence United even bid for him, this sounds like BS.

ChicagoVT, russ and wixson7 repped this.