Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Pulisic was fine. I agree with the Mehs but only to the extent that he was meh in the (current) most competitive league in the world. Mount had moments of brilliance, but I would say no else played noticeably better than Christian.

2. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    #25627 Noriega7, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    He tried but he was getting dispossessed a lot...I don't think he did enough to keep his spot as a starter next week.

striker repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Ah, the way Suyuntuy put it I thought there was some other incident yesterday.

4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to good old Kicker, Pulisic had 46 ball contacts, 21 passes, 86% good, 35% 1v1. Not sure how many 1v1s he had.

Didn't realize Mounts goal was the first Englishman scored goal under an English trainer for Chelsea in the Premier League since 1996. How is that for a specific stat?

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I saw the game here and there but I think the reason everyone looked meh (Chelsea) because lampard had them dropped back after the early goal. Not sure why you would drop back against a team similar or less to your level and at home.

If you are told to drop back then you don't want to overcommit that much. Thats what happened to Pulisic and rest of team.

Defensively, I would give Pulisic big star since he pretty much didn't made any mistakes out there.

bungadiri repped this.
  6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went back to check on finals stats after missing most of the second half. This is what I found on FotMob:

Pulisic was rated at 5.5, which was the worst rating of all field players.

Stats:
    71 minutes
    46 touches
    86% pass accuracy
    21 passes, 18 successful, 2 crosses
    0 shots, 0 on target
    0 assists
    20 duels, 7 won, 13 lost
    6 dispossessions (most in match)
    1 successful dribble, 5 unsuccessful
    2 Aerials won, 1 lost
    3 tackles
    3 recoveries

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    After the UEFA Super Cup last year, that also lasted 120 minutes, both Real Madrid and Atletico looked fine, even though they only had 4 and 5 days to recover. Real went on to beat Getafe comfortably 2-0 at home, and Atletico managed a tie to Valencia (a strong team) away, 1-1.

So the "they were tired because of the Super Cup" excuse doesn't fly.

I think it has more to do with Lampard being unable to match the moves by Rodgers, who astutely noticed Kante is still only half-fit and found a hole in their right side, where Pedro is not exactly a defensive asset and where Azpi is having a bad time.

Since the others (Jorginho and Mount, mainly) had to keep moving right to help cover the deficiencies on that side, Pulisic was mainly isolated in his runs, or had support arriving late.

No, it wasn't a good day for him, but more than anything I'm seeing a very static Lampard that is going to get figured out in the next few weeks.

Also, the racism crap was just the one directed at Tammy before this game, but also at Zouma and Willian during this one, although Twitter now is doing a better job of removing the postings of the hooligans right away, and is starting to ban accounts, causing such people to move to places like Gab.

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point about Kante .... against Liverpool it was if there were two of him on the field and against Leicester he looked human and whole midfield suffered as a result. If Azpi continues to have sub par matches I wonder how Lampard has him wear the armband.

9. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    IMHO CP had one shot & it was on target - it bounced off the head of Schmeichel. I couldn't find the play but here are CP's touches from the match vs Leicester City

mace and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. The announcers missed that, even on the replay. Puli got to it in the mixer after a rebound and tapped it off the side of the goalie’s face.

Robdog repped this.
  11. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    This is the important part to take from the game. Defensively he did what he was supposed to do.

12. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    one more thing to note about yesterday's game is the fact that Emerson & CP are creating a nice relationship on the left flank - I couldn't find the video of some of the plays I saw in the match, so I will use this video to emphasize my point a bit
    1162004737375526912 is not a valid tweet id

RunthePoint repped this.
  13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, do your criteria apply to the rest of the team as well? Not many would start, I think.
    That hole was primarily the result of Mount NOT offering support on the right. The heat map here shows that Mount's preferred location (across the entire game, of course) was right near the left touch line at the top of the attacking third. Early in the game, he occupied the center right attacking space. Later, he essentially displaced Pulisic on the left. That is one reason why CP had so little to do. At least that is how I read it.

adi21, superdave, mace and 4 others repped this.
  14. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    So much truth in this statement. I wonder sometimes if people are watching the same game that I am.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo the last time they had an English manager than a couple matches, then.

16. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so the question that should be asked is whether Mount simply plays over where CP plays best and he is going to overshadow him and diminish what the team is capable of? It is noteworthy that Mount was not on the field during the Liverpool match where Pulisic played so well. And yet Mount's goal came from his pressure in the center - not out wide left where Pulisic naturally plays. I need to go back and look at the heat map from that match where Kovacic plays in behind Pulisic and see where they lined up in that one.

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...uper-Cup-2018-2019-Liverpool-Chelsea#heatmaps

pretty clear that during the Super Cup that Kovacic tucked in behind Pulisic and Pulisic played further forward and went inside as well much more. I wonder if half of this games issue with CP is Mount simply trying to play where CP plays and that is adversely impacting him and the team. Will be interesting to see what happens.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think Mount tended to play down the left slot at Vitesse if memory serves. And playing in a 4-3-3 he tended to be off center one side or the other - not that Chelski can't/won't adjust that.

19. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it will be up to Lampard to figure out what makes them click best going forward.

20. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Agreed with that..Williams look slow and it could be the only thing that keeps CP in the starting 11 next week....CP also had a good game against Liverpool so maybe that earns him another game before dropping him.

I could see Lampard starting Barkley through the center and Mount out wide.

21. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    You're right that very few Chelsea players had a good game but CP had by far the most dispossession among the attackers..He was getting his pocket picked too easily with not enough success-runs to balance out the give-aways.....I hope he can improves on that.

I hope he start next week but Lampard who is under pressure, might go with more experienced players.

22. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Liverpool might be a PL opponent, but the Super Cup game against them was really a glorified exhibition; none of the hard, bone-crunching tackling and tight marking you see in the PL, among other things. I think that's why Pulisic had a good performance in the Super Cup but hasn't done much of anything in the two PL games played so far. At least in this debut season, I don't see him scoring a goal in an actual PL game like the (offsides) one he almost scored against' pool in the Super Cup.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching it live, it was hard to distinguish whether that was a shot or he was trying to step past KS. To me, that's not a shot. I understand why you both believe it should count as a shout though.

The people doing the stats apparently didn't believe he was making a shooting movement, but instead trying to knock the ball past the keeper.

24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG. I have discovered the heat maps and all the other stats on that site. That should keep me plenty busy this winter. Very cool stuff.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Frankly, those all-touches videos are doing Pulisic no favors.