RFK Tailgating??

Discussion in 'DC Chapter' started by MNetherland, May 15, 2011.

1. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I'm new to the whole AO thing, but I live in Southern VA and me plus 3 of my bros got tickets to the Gold Cup Quarters at RFK. I basically just wanted to know if there's going to be some sort of sweet tailgate at RFK before the game for US fans/AO and if so, what time and where at exactly. We're pretty stoked about this cause we're all big US fans but have never gotten the chance to go to a US game before. Me and one of my friend are actually building a custom US soccer beer pong table for it haha. So yeah, thanks ahead of time for any information.

2. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most epic tailgate you've ever seen awaits you on the 19th! The Screaming Eagles will have their usual tailgate which could have well over 1000 people! The Barra Brava will also have tailgating as well with several hundred people. Lot 8 is where you want to be on the 19th.

Details on the tailgate will be available shortly...we're anticipating it being about $12 per person.

3. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, thank you very much for the info!

4. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait! Not sure if I will be an AO member by then, but me and my boys should be coming down from Philly.

5. ncblue222

ncblue222 New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Rockville,MD
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait either!

6. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What time is the tailgate expected to start on the 19th, I am getting into town around 9:30 am Sunday morning.

7. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I invite you to pay for advertising! That little contraption will be of no use to us for this tailgate, good idea for the product, bad advertising.
    ----------

Time for the tailgate depends on what time the US plays.

8. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11:30

9. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11:30? I'm trying to get there by like 10 so I can get my drink on...haha. And I'm coming all the way from Southern VA

10. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots open up at 11, AODC/SE tailgate begins at 11:30, ends at 2:15 for the march into the stadium.

11. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So essentially what you're saying is no one can get in the parking lots before 11:00? Are they like blocked off or something?

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um yeah, so they can take your $20 to park

K

13. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That happens at every stadium in the country. Due to security, there's a set time that the lots open and you can't park there beforehand. And yes, it's also to get your $20.

14. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming to DC for the first time on Sunday. Anyone know of any cheaper parking options near or around the stadium? I don't mind a little walk. Also, will probably be in town and ready to park prior to 11.

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The area around the stadium is residential and you need a residential sticker to park there (or you risk being ticketed/towed). You might have better luck parking downtown and taking metro. Metro. They have bigger parking lots near the end of the Metro lines if you're heading out of town afterwords.

K

16. k0d1akattack

k0d1akattack Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Another hearty endorsement of the metro. Pretty much every major road into DC has access to a metro station with a big parking lot, parking is free on the weekends at these metro lots and the metro ticket is extra cheap since it is the weekend. Check the Metro website that K linked to for directions to the best satellite metro station based on the direction you are coming for, and then you can go ahead and plan your trip on the website to figure out how to get to the armory stop from your particular station.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're planning to take Metro on Sunday, keep this in mind and plan accordingly.

• From 10 p.m. Friday, June 17, to closing on Sunday, June 19, Orange and Blue Line trains will share one track between Eastern Market and Stadium Armory stations as Metro replaces rail fasteners to provide a smoother ride.

• Throughout the weekend, all Blue and Orange Line trains will depart endpoint terminals approximately every 20 minutes.

• Blue and Orange Line customers should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time. ​

18. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info guys!

19. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you're parking anywhere on the Red Line, trains this weekend will be running every 25 minutes due to track work.

20. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    any particular stations that would be easiest to park and ride? i seem to remember using new carrollton for nationals games when they were at RFK....

21. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    depends on where you are coming from... the FRANCONIA/SPRINGFIELD station is a nice one if you are coming from the south, huuuge parking garage and its free on weekends.