RFI: USSF and US MNT coach selection historical info

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jeffmefun, Aug 31, 2010.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi - looking for some info, background, and perspective here. Mods, please shut this down if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm not sure I've seen it more than hinted at.

My main question is this: what's the proper due diligence and hiring process a national federation should consider or follow when hiring a national team coach?

It seems to me, there are a few paths, none of which have been pursued with any degree of thorough effort by the USSF over the last 4 selections. These paths might include interviews with a variety of available coaches, contacting coaches who might otherwise appear to be unavailable, and maybe even consideration of hiring from within.

Perhaps there's a belief or perspective at the federation level that I don't fully appreciate or understand? A belief that, as a portion of the total U.S. soccer investment portfolio, the national team coach is a small portion?

The perspective I'm looking for is whether we've ever gone through a more in-depth process to find a skipper, or if other countries do pretty much what we've done.

Clearly, I'm frustrated and of the opinion the USSF was pretty lazy on this point and has been for most of recent history.