Reyna: Sunderland vs. Manchester United, 8/31 10a (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 30, 2002.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean he's not serious????

;)

2. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Believe it or not no, but ignoreing the media hype and looking at both players for 90 minutes it's clear Reyna is superior, or at last, I'd rather have him on my team.

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well most of it's been said, but here are a few comments on lingering issues.

1. Reyna played well, though he did make a couple of turnovers. His pass that led to the goal was great and should have been handled better (if it was slower, it never would have found the target).

2. Beckham was stalling when Reyna kicked the ball in his back. I thought Beckham got a yellow for this.

3. MacAteer and Keane were going back and forth. My favorite was MacAteer using his hands to mimic writing a book. I guess Keane didn't like it as much as I did.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the Becks-Reyna comparison...that might be an arguable point, if it weren't for Beckham's ability on free kicks.

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    So in the course of a year,

Reyna v. Italy - One hell of a great first half
    Reyna v. Davids - One hell of a battle
    Reyna v. Jeremies, Germany et. al. - Great inspired play, great showing
    Reyna at the World Cup - Named to the best XI. However, probably didn't truly deserve it in my American opinion. But still, who am I to argue with FiFA?
    Reyna at Sunderland (EPL arguably the top league in the world right now in terms of the talent they now have and the depth of the teams. I don't want to argue this point but I think that the EPL has clearly surpassed the Serie A, France, Holland. Personally I think the EPL has even pulled pass the Bundesliga. La Liga v EPL has to favor La Liga lately because of past results in the Euro competitions. Regardless, I rank the EPL #1 or #2. General point being one of the best leagues in the world) - Practically saved the team from relegation last year. Posted a couple of seriously important goals last year. Prior to his arrival, Sunderland looked dreadful. This year, Reyna has two Mof the Matches in what 5 games. Reyna is playing very very very well in a very very very tough team. I can't think of a midfielder off of the top of my head that since Reyna's arrival has outperformed him in the Premiership by a long shot.

To me that sums up a World Class player. Performance for National team against top teams check
    Performance for National team when it mattered (the World Cup) check
    Consistent Performance in one of the top leagues in the world - check
    The only thing that one can say that is missing is the performance in Euro competitions. I think he performed very well for Rangers v. Parma in the UEFA cup and very well when Rangers made their appearances in the Champions League. So that is another - Check

With regards to Reyna v. Becks, Becks freekicks are in a league of their own. Reyna is a billion times better at tracking back and playing quality defense. Becks is probably a better shooter of the ball, Reyna is a better passer. Reyna plays more of a central role, Becks plays more as a winger. Becks is a better crosser of the ball.

It seems to be comparing apples and oranges as they really don't play the same position. We get to compare though as we have nothing else to do. I think with a team like Man U, who has Keane, Butt, Scholes etc. it is better to have a Beckham.

With a team like Sunderland, it is better to have Reyna.

I guess I am saying that I think it is a push which really depends on what type of player the team needs.

Regardless congrats to Reyna on the great start.

Is that 1 mofM for Keller, 2 for Reyna and 2 for Friedel?

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    More interesting comparision is Reyna to Veron.

Veron seems to have an edge physically and has more talent. But mentally and as a team player and leader, Reyna draws up considerably close to Veron.

Reyna, is not a player that will receive as many accolades as some of the flashier mids, but his professionalism and fighting spirit is so good that you have to think many clubs are thinking about him.

7. drnlm

drnlm New Member

Jun 23, 2002
    IMO the only thing Becks is really good at are free kicks, if it wasn't for that and being married to Posh Spice, he wouldn't be that elite.
    He's waaayyy too over-rated.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham did get a yellow for that-- and it seemed as if Reyna suckered him into it... just how sweet was that? :D

Cheers,
    William

9. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    reyna was simply outstanding against manure utd...he was truly in his groove. he didn't attack at pace, but he directed movement and direction so well that he continued to find players with routes to the goal. his work was fantastic. best match i've seen him play for s'land...with perhaps the exception of his multi-goal performance against (?) late last season.

probably his best match.

10. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    people who have negative opinion about how Reyna plays, don't know soccer, simple is that.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna has become my favorite American by a long shot. He is game seems effortless.

What really wrapped it up for me was his fabulous, "we're not going to cry like Mexico" smack after the Germany game. Priceless.

12. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    goals

His multi-goal performance was against Leicester City.

13. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of his best play in the World Cup was when he was tackling, not passing. He was awesome against Mexico even though his job was not to be the playmaker. He simply shut down their left side and they had no answer.

LD for all his promise and publicity has a long way to go before being the equal of Reyna or even Ramos. If he stays in the MLS, he won't ever be no matter what he does in a World Cup.

14. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder that this game is on FSW at 5:00 EST today.

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stop the heresy ;).

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think you mean 8:00 EST right?

17. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whups! Right 8:00 est...whats with us mid-westerners thinking we're the center of the universe or something?

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know, but if you are three hours behind, are you sure you're in the mid-west? Check and see if you see an ocean out your window...

19. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    checking...holy shite, where did all these corn fields come from? Is that a crop circle?

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Just as I suspected... I hate to break this to you, but you're in Hollywood.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game on FSW.

Reyna gives much needed class and cohesion to what would otherwise be a desperately ordinary Black Cats side.He cannot be intimidated on the ball,and his set pieces were solid and largely well-placed.He did drive the ball off Romeo Sr.,but that was hardly the most egregious event of the match.(This just in -Keano's a nutter).

The combination of him and McAteer in the middle of the park leaves something to be desired on the defensive end,but they comined well to set up the chance which Flo converted.Reyna appeared really excited to see Flo score,and was the second player over to congratulate him.

Phil Babb starting at center back,though-Reid may still be gone by Boxing Day.

22. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I watched too. It was Reyna's lousy clearance that led to ManU's goal. It was also his ball that led to Sunderland's goal.

23. sackpack

sackpack Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Margate, NJ
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, right now, there is no comparison, Renya is clearly the better player, and has been since before the WC.

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Impossible. Claudio can do no wrong! =)

I've actually thought that Claudio's rather so-called flair has always been well sooted to a plain team like Sunderland. The Black Cats wouldn't know what to do with a player like Dyer or Juninho, let alone a Rui Costa or ZiZi.

25. VLAD

VLAD New Member

Jan 11, 2001
    VIENNA, VA
    Reyna's Class

Just watched the game on FSW. Reyna is the perfect player for Sunderland. He continuosly created quality chances and passes. His ability to distribute the ball with either foot also helps him. On numerous occasions when pressured he would change fields and deliver a pinpoint pass with his left. He controlled the midfield in this game.

Sunderlands most dangerous moments is when the ball was brought forward through Reyna. In cases when it was boot and run, no go for the Black Cats. They took the game to ManU, primarily because Veron is not a good defender and could not apply defensive pressure in the midfield. Nicky Butts or Scholes would have been better at applying the pressure on Reyna.