Reyna on US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Oct 19, 2017.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hopefully these keep coming and we need to create a single thread for former players comments, but for now I think Claudio Reyna’s deserve its own thread. I couldn’t agree more with what he has to say and believe it is at the heart of a lot of our problems. Almost every discussion in this forum includes comments that suggest our players, coaches, league, etc is better than it really is. The whole article is worth a read, but have included two of his thoughts that jumped out at me.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/clau...r-too-arrogant-far/1w9vcdubu5yhf1vj9c89qmxyib

Our approach and our behavior to the sport here — to coaching, to everything, is just wrong," Reyna told Goal on Tuesday. "We’re far too arrogant. We’re far too obnoxious. We are egotistical having never won anything or done anything, and that’s not the case around the world.

“Until we realize that — that we’re not as good as we think we are at all levels — then I think we’re going to continue being what we are, which is mediocre."

2. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Next USSF President. Pay him $1,000,000/year.

3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Sign him up.

4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    confusing activity with accomplishment...a common problem in soccer (including on the field) and in life...I agree with Reyna that this is more of a problem here than elsewhere

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise. The biggest challenges to US Soccer remains the fragmented youth development system. Those involved are too busy protecting their interests - including former professional players.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would have like more specifics from Reyna.

Starman* repped this.
  7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or take the $680,000 per year Dan Flynn makes as "CEO" and give that to Reyna.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Reyna was the person that hired and fired Kreis for NYCFC and then replaced him with Vieira. I wonder if these experiences have influenced his thinking...

sXeWesley repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm sure lots of experiences have, but I'm betting working for US Soccer provided the bulk of the targets for his comments.

Eighteen Alpha and sXeWesley repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Viera was part of the ManCity machinery that Reyna is part of. I'm not certain, he had 100% hiring say or is this dictated out of the home office.

largegarlic repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Kreis has won an MLS Cup and advanced further in CCL than any other MLS coach.

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Which might make him a little better than a bunch average to below average coaches.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That's dumb. He has been a success in MLS, the same damn league Reyna has been an executive in.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not really. MLS coaches just aren’t that good.

He’s also been a failure. He hasn’t made the playoffs the last 3 years and nycfc has in the 2 years after getting booted. So maybe he isn’t better than them and all of his results were due to his team in salt lake.

Not sure what Reyna being an executive in the league has to do with any of this.

The Real Sekrah repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Arena made it to WC Quarters. Bradley made it to WC Rnd16 and to the Confederations Finals. MLS coaches have had success on the international stage.
    Most coaches have been failures at some point in their careers. NYC haven't won anything.
    He is working in the same league as Kreis is, and as an executive has had no success at a higher level.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Arena is a crap coach and horrible for US soccer (pretty much the leader of this arrogant attitude Reyna is talking about)... not in the same category as Bora, Bob and Juergen.

Maybe his successes like Arena’s 2002 WC run. Kreis has now failed in two places and three years isn’t some one off thing.

He also seems to be humble about the position and seems to be improving.

Eighteen Alpha and The Real Sekrah repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Agree about the arrogance, but he has a decent record.

He was fired by NYC. That's it.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    They finished the season tied for the second to worst record in the league?

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    They were an expansion team built from scratch. Kreis did not control player acquisition.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis is a horrible coach.

The Real Sekrah repped this.
  21. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 Statman, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    That's like being the tallest midget in the room.

Besides, he's not all that great of a coach despite his success in MLS with RSL. During his tenure with NY, he was ripped for his management skills and lack of tactical adjustments (sound familiar?). He has also been a dismal failure in Orlando and you should read their supporter sites to see how they feel about him.

The Real Sekrah, juveeer and bsky22 repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Who doesn’t like a tall midget? Woah... I just realized there were a lot of midgets in the room. Great post!

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    MLS have produced most of the player talent that have power the team to a record of 2002WC-Qtr, 2009CC-Finals, 2010Rnd16, 2014Rnd15, 2016CA-Semi.

The midgets have done ok.

MLS Cup and CCL are the pinnacles of what's available in North America.

He was working with an expansion side, on which he had little input on talent acquisition.
    He has had 1 1/2 seasons in Orlando.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    They haven’t. Most of the players only passed through or never stepped foot in mls. You statement is just your fantasy. The usual exaggeration of MLS and US successes. This is pretty much what Reyna was talking about.

Eighteen Alpha and juveeer repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klopas also made th finals. /pedant

IndividualEleven repped this.