Reyna help @ Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 12, 2002.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    First, Stephen Wright from Liverpool. Decent player who can go on the right or central, should be an improvement--but needs to stop getting red cards to be a real help.

Second, Michael Mols, Raul Tamudo and Matthew Piper.
    http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1860-1060654,00.html

Piper's a good buy, right winger that the team could use. Tamudo would cost them, but Phillips needs a stud player alongside him...which gets me to Mols.

Stupid idea for Reid, even as a third option behind Phillips and Striker X. Be a waste of money, even if the transfer price is little to none.

2. benvan

benvan Member

Nov 15, 2000
    San Francisco
    Mols?

Buffalo, what's the problem with Mols? Before his injuries (or series of injuries) he was pretty prolific a scorer for Rangers and before that in Holland. I still think he could be a pretty useful player for ALMOST anybody in the Premeirship.
    I found he generally plays pretty deep for a striker and therefore could form a decent partnership with Reyna, who generally plays pretty deep for a midfielder.

3. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Is Mols that bad an acquisition? If he's 3rd man off the pine, with a relatively sane transfer price...

I seem to recall he and Claudio linking up a few times back in the day.

Why so negative? His knee that bad?

4. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Over the last couple of years, he's been hurt or ineffective--he just doesn't impress me even to be an option on the bench over Kevin Kyle, Quinn, or David Bellion.

Plus, he'd cost decent wages that could be used for other players.

I like the Wright and Piper potential pickups, though.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    S'land has been trying to buy Tamudo for weeks now. I know the Guardian has it as fact, but I've seen it questioned elsewhere. Flo was also mentioned as a possibility, but his agent has denied it. A healthy Mols isn't such a bad thing. But does such a thing as a healthy Mols exist?

Anyway, the "lads" need all the help they can get, since they haven't been able to beat anybody, not even a 3rd division also ran this summer.

6. StEtienne

StEtienne Member

Mar 10, 2000
    USA
    One thing that could be taken positively from such a move for Mols -- if he is intended to partner with Phillips -- would be an indication of moving away from Sunderland's reliance on the big target forward.

The ol' "hoof it long to Quinny so he can knock it down to Super Kev" play has been less and less effective in recent times.

Mols was quite useful for Rangers before the Bayern match when he was injured. If he passes a medical exam, maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Before the WC, wasn't Wright considered one of the possible right backs for England? If that is true, I would consider that a pretty good upgrade.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mols has been ineffective, but if he could get his top form he would be perfect for Sunderland. The reason is that he actually likes to play with the ball instead of just whacking it all over the place like the rest of the Sunderland "attack" such as Phillips, Quinn, Kyle, McAteer and Kilbane. I think Claudio Reyna would appreciate another creative force on the team --if Mols can recapture his best form.

9. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wright wasn't really in the mix for england or even talked about, but the guy has a lot of potential. i am pretty disappointed that liverpool gave let him go. add to that the fact that he is a gorgeous human specimen and mr. reid has done well by getting him (maybe reid was looking to boost his own self confidence).

10. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    I believe you're confusing him with Jamie Carragher.

But Wright was extremely useful last season when he got time for Liverpool.

11. StEtienne

StEtienne Member

Mar 10, 2000
    USA
    Was that sarcasm? I haven't seen a picture of Wright, but considering Reid is known as something like Monkey's Head, boosting his self-confidence would take a real minger.

12. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  13. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Sorry to be off-topic but...

You don't have a picture of Francis "Dumbo" Jeffers handy, do you? :D

14. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Re: Sorry to be off-topic but...

Google, my man. Google.

15. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn.

16. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Well they finally did it, they taught monkeys to play football. Damn dirty apes...

17. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is funny reading how Mols will get a chance with the Black Cats on Reyna's recommendation. Capt. America really seems to be highly revered at the Stadium of Light. I know he deserves it, but it is nice to see an American footballer getting as much publicity and adulation as he seems to be getting.

I guess when you are a team that just staved off relegation, and one of your mids gets named to the WC All Star team, it is only natural.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROTFLMFAO!

20. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Both Flo's agent and Gers have denied a Flo move, so he's probably training with Sunderland as we speak...

Some reports have the Mols move coming after Flo proved too rich. Gers are stuck. They've got the most expensive subsititue forward in the British Isles but he's still worth more to them coming off the bench than what they can get for him.

BBC has Wright a done deal and Reid after Flo again.

22. Brunssen

Brunssen New Member

Jun 3, 2000
    for all its worth mols, reyna and gio vb were close at Rangers

23. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    You know you would think that Captain America would maybe lay the groundwork for another American to come over to Sunderland as well as former Gers stars. I don't know if he just is of the opinion that no one else on the team is quality for the Premiership or not. But I would say that this pull for Mols could have been used to get a deal for a Mathis or a Beasley done.

I am a huge Reyna fan and Mols fan by the way.

24. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this help for Reyna isn't going to do him much good unless he's playing. Damn trick groins!!!