Revs vs Vancouver P/I/P 6/27

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jun 25, 2015.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teal! 2 1 Ousted gives up a howler right through the legs. He's had a great game otherwise.

2. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Judas scores against Canada...

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo gets taken down in the box and the ref gives a free kick outside it.

Agudelo then misses a free header from the 6. He sucks.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was a good effort in the second half, especially a man down. Proud of the revs, maybe they draw on a different night. They just need to finish their free headers. Teal's miss and Agudelo's miss from the 6 denied the revs a big point. But overall it was a geat game by Teal, he is a well deserved MOTM.

On to Dallas.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the post game and Heaps said the Farrell red was "mind blowing" which shows his ignorance, especially as a defenser. He simply doesn't know the laws of the game. That's what a DOGSO is Jay!

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to be DOGSO when it isn't a foul, which I suspect was Jay's point. I haven't had a chance to watch the replay on my DVR, but the angle shown on the big screen sure made it look like a dive. As opposed to last week, where Bozakos sucked bi-directionally, I thought Chapman sucked in one direction. This is also the second or third straight Revs match he's done that has been bad.

Jon Martin repped this.
  7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missing a couple of great opportunities and a couple of solid early saves by Ousted, really frustrating. Totally agree that the play was inspired.

8. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on! Farrell brushes him lightly with his fingers, and Techera spins like a dervish and throws himself to the ground. That's not a DOGSO, that's a dive, pure and simple. And the dives will continue as long as the incentives to dive are so much stronger than the disincentives. The league could and should deal with this sort of thing harshly enough to stop it, but probably won't. (As an aside, I think this is where MLS should try to make its mark on world soccer: as the league that doesn't permit diving, particularly of the game-altering sort.)

It's a shame, because it ruined the Revs' best effort in a while. Even down a man, they would have salvaged a point, except for a couple otherworldly stops by Ousted. Fantastic performance by Caldwell, who was my man of the match, with all respect to Bunbury.

9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    There was contact, how does the league prove Techera dove? They can't.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the play on tv so maybe it looked different live. The last defender gets an automatic red when the player they fouled would have been through on goal. Regardless of what Jay thought, Farrell shouldn't have grabbed his arm. He did, got called for it and a red as a result (was already sitting on a yellow).

I honestly dont understand all the teeth gnashing from Heaps about the ref for being "the most inconsistent in my 15 years in MLS." The penalty was soft but he gave about as many yellows to the revs as he did to Vancouver. Blaming him shows a genuine lack of accountability from the coach.

11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the post-game interview and you're right. Heaps actually said he didn't argue the penalty, but rather the red for it. How does someone at that level not understand the LOTG? I said to the guy next to me as it happened that he'd have to show red for DOGSO.

12. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You grab the back arm of the player and it's an automatic call, so why do it!!!! Stick your arm in front of the player.:mad:

On the DOGSO red card. I think the rule needs to be modified. The rule was put in because a defender would simply clean out the offensive player with the ball, 30 to 40 yards from goal. There you can have a free kick from distance!! I was all for the rule changed when it occurred. Now you see more red cards for fouls in the box that result in a PK. How can you have a DOGSO and be given a PK??? Isn't that a GSO??

Boy, has Alston slipped. He entered the game last night and Vancouver went right at him. They went over, around, and thru him, like he was an orange cone. Woodberry made a big mental mistake, but I thought he played ok outside that.

I thought Bunbury and Caldwell were outstanding last night. If we could get that effort from a couple more guys, then we would be all set.

13. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    He already had a yellow, whether it was DOGSO or not, he was gone. Honestly, the ref didn't have much of a clue about what plays should be carded and which shouldn't throughout the game. Wasn't really much of a foul though.

14. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I'd agree. It was a fairly obvious dive, but you'd have a hard time "proving" it.

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Truly amazing that Heaps didn't make any sub when a CB got sent off, mainly because we didn't have any backups that could play that position on the roster. The situation was serious when Soares left, critical when Barnes went down and desperate when Jones was injured. What's going on now is fairly laughable. It's been almost a month since Jones (who should NOT be playing defense at all) was injured. It wasn't a matter of if we'd ever be short a CB in a game, it was a matter of when. The main question about the Rev's brain trust (I know, something of an oxymoron) is, as usual, whether they're incompetent or indifferent.

RevsLiverpool and Feldspar repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When there's no accountability, there's no worries.

OK performance overall, and their keeper made some really good saves. But our defense just sucks, and that's been known for a while. We have no depth whatsoever, which also has been known for a while ("Mike Burns is trying"). My first reaction to Farrell's "foul" was also "here comes the red."

And it's just sad that Heaps continues to make the same mistakes. Woodberry has been good for us since he's started. He made one mistake and was immediately punished by being benched. In the meantime, others continue to screw up and there's no repercussions. Pathetic.

We're still in second place, which is shocking. But we're 6th in PPG in the east. There are three teams with at least 2 games in hand on us, that all can tie or pass us with one win. Forget mediocre ... we're just a bad team at this point.

RevsLiverpool and Feldspar repped this.
  17. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Savvy play from Techera. He feels contact and throws his shoulder to trip himself up and immediately demands a card from the ref. He's got a 50/50 shot but the payout isn't even. Lose, and the winger has a yellow, no biggie, plus maybe a retroactive ban on a position that Vancouver is incredibly deep at. Win, and its a pk/red card. So might as well dive. there is no way that a slight tap by Farrell caused Techera's fall, but Farrell needs to know what the risks and odds are.
    Teal could have had a yellow already by the time he got one, but ironically what he got a yellow for wasn't even close to a foul.
    Caldwell, Bunbury and Fagundez were fantastic. And Ousted made four incredible saves. That game easily could have been a 5-3 victory. We at least didn't see any of the 20 minute sleeping spells that the Revs have had in recent games. Maybe we need to play every game in a 3-5-1...

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really tired of this team, because we're so damned stupid. Lots of gifted players, lots of talent, but we (from players to coach to FO) constantly make idiot mistakes and spend the rest of the match trying to make up for them. That's not a winning formula. Though we're capable of burying teams early in a deluge of goals, we only seem to do it about a quarter of the time. But that's still our "game plan," and has stayed in place even as our defensive deficiencies have become apparent and injuries have taken away key players.

I like Jay, but I just don't think he's got a clue as a coach. He was a decent field general, but he's not got the birds-eye view smarts. Soehn's clearly not having enough of an impact. And let's not get started on the FO. Time to clean house from the coaching staff up.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact the revs are still second in the east is incredible. To have a run of form they're currently in and still be in the playoff picture is crazy. Failing to hold the leads against DC and Cbus is coming back to bite them - quite the swing from battling with DC for first last week to where they are now. It's a matter of time before the others move ahead and the revs slip.

They just need to hold on for dear life til JJ gets back and hope they can capture lightning in a bottle down the stretch again.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He really should have cut his teeth as an assistant or gained some coaching experience in the USL before taking on MLS. His below .500 record (even with last year's statistically improbable late run) belies his inexperience, if not ineptitude.

pwykes repped this.
  21. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We're only in second place because we've played so many more games than everyone else.

Crooked repped this.
  22. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The 2nd place is a total illusion. Toronto has 4 games in hand on us, NYRB 3, ORL and CLB have 2 each. Even Montreal has 5(!) games in hand, probably due to shuffling the schedule for the CCL run. Unless things turn around before Jones gets back, we'll be in 6th or worse within a few weeks.

My thoughts:

- It won't get remembered, but Caldwell's goal line save has to be one of the best defensive plays of the season.
    - Alston-Woodberry-JoGo-Tierney next week. That'll be cute.
    - That was the most fight I've seen from the team in weeks, which is encouraging. But I thought the same thing after the Chicago game, so I'm not going to hold my breath on things turning around before Jones gets back. Can we just make him player-coach?
    - I'd be interested to see them go back to a 4-1-4-1 with Caldwell in back and Diego-Nguyen-Agudelo-Bunbury as the attacking mids with Charlie up top. If our defense is going to suck, might as well go all-in on the attack I guess? Diego and Agudelo were interchaging really well at the end of the game, I'd like to see them in the game together

Crooked and a517dogg repped this.
  23. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Jermaine Jones can save us now!

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we need is a spark. Something to fire this team up and get them back on track. I want to see Lee get very selfish next game and look to score a goal, or possibly two. He needs to reestablish that he can score and next game is the time to start. If Lee could do that, the whole offense would explode. Do it LEE!!!!!!

PS
    Get off yur ass Burns and get some replacements. Jones is hurt forever, Barnes out for the season... we have no viable defenders on the bench. Do you think its time you found some replacements for us? Call up NYC or the Galaxy and find out how its done. They seem to be able to locate people

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was as frustrating game to watch, but the good news is that they played 60 minutes down a man and you couldn't even tell. If you had to guess just from the play, you'd say Vancouver was the team playing with only ten.

Third game in a week, and Heaps first sub is to take out a guy who rested the whole game on Wednesday. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

At this point, he should play a 3 man back line next week. It's not like the 4 man back line is getting the job done, so why not try something different? It worked in the second half (although VAN was bunkering and still had a few near misses, including a blast off the post).

Oh, and we need a new good-luck half time song now. The "Africa" streak is over.