Revs vs Sounders.....The Game is Threadened.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by TOAzer, Apr 29, 2017.

1. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not agree with the subs, but they also failed to execute. Watson for Fagundez and move Rowe up might seem reasonable, but Rowe and Fagundez were playing well enough. Watson looked poor.

2. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 RevsRule, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Leading 3-0 and end up with a tie. Why? The answer is simple HEAPS BLEW IT. We had the game mostly under control but once again Heaps had to mess with the team on the field and we end up lucky to get a tie. Why does he have to mess with what was working. If its not broken, dont fix it. Im sorry but the only thing holding this team back is Jay Heaps and he has to go.

BTW, tell Kamara to stay home for as long as he wants. We are simply better without him. We had more attack last night than Ive seen in a long time and the reason was no Kai. I liked our speed, possession and passing. None of which do we seem to have with other lineups. I Like Rowe at LB over Tierney. Also Rowe is not mucking up the attack. Diego and Lee came out and the game started to sink. 10 more minutes and we lose. Thanks Heaps you fool

TOAzer and CynicRev repped this.
  3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for a coaching change. I was ready at the end of last year. I've seen enough.. When a team is consistently less than the sum of it's parts it coaching at fault.

Whose out there waiting for the job? Does anyone think B & B have the stones to make the change?

FWIW, last night felt like a painful loss instead of a road point

I remember when we scored three goals from the 89' to win-- Twellman two in stoppage--- against Dallas a few years ago. Now I know how Dallas felt

Come to think of it we've blown big late leads before. I remember a home loss against DV where Marco E. Put a few daggers into me team spirit

This sport cn be crewel to real fans

a517dogg, pwykes and BERich repped this.
  4. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    That was almost unbelievable...if Heaps hadn't made a habit of removing effective players in so many other matches.

How does he not recognize that Diego and Lee were what was keeping Seattle midfield and fullbacks honest?

How has he not figured out by now that, though they may pose some attacking threat, Teal and Femi offer no possession game at a time when holding onto the ball and letting the clock tick is the primary tactic called for?

He is formulaic to a fault. I have thought at times in the past that he was simply playing the (weak) hand he had been dealt but this was just a pathetic self-imolation from a game management perspective.

OK Burnsie: you seem to have actually fixed the CB situation to at least an average/acceptable level, time to see if you can move us from D- to C+ from a coaching perspective. At least Soen has experience if he is named to an interim post....

5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely disagree. What we saw last night was just how soft the underbelly is when teams can get at it.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  6. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 30 minutes was a train wreck. The Revs had virtually 0 possession until after the tying goal. The substitutions ruined the game plan. Rowe is the best LB on the team; bringing in Watson decreases the quality on D and also removes our most dangerous threat (Diego).

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you have the fewest players in MLS on your roster, you have very little choice on who to sub in. This game is on Heaps. The season is still on Burns. And Kraft.

What a disastrous two weeks for the Revs, both on and off the pitch.

8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Heaps fancied himself as a philosopher, he would be renowned for his "The Failure of the Will".

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the revs ultimately blew the 3 goal lead, Seattle carried the play most of the game and hit lots of posts. If they had been more clinical with their finishing, it likely would have been a clearcut win for them. That being said, the timeline of the subs gives clues as to what went wrong.

66' Fagundez comes off, Watson comes in. Clearly a defensive sub. Diego put in a MOTM performance to that point, working hard in the 10 role and making the front 3 along with Agudelo and Nguyen fairly dangerous. Probably Diego's best game of the year. As soon as you take out that work rate, things start to change.

68' Seattle then subs in Shipp for the injured Morris 2 minutes later, stabilizing their midfield.

75' Seattle scores and makes it 3 1 off an unfortunate deflection via Delamea. Revs begin to lose defensive shape and panic. Seattle stays on the front foot.

77' Bunbury comes on and replaces Nguyen up top, moving Agudelo to a deeper role. Now 2 of the 3 most effective revs are off the field. Bunbury has no idea how to hold the ball up. With him playing up top, Seattle is basically playing a man up.

85' Bruin scores for Seattle on a near post header - a goal that frankly I think Cropper should have stopped. You can't get beaten near post there. Revs demoralized but not out of it yet. Lots more panic. Hanging on for dear life now, though no one knows how to manage the game properly.

88' Then the killer blow - Oswaldo scores to tie it up at 3 after several near misses. The crowd is fully behind the sounders and Seattle pushes for 45th. Revs gasping now, just want the game to end.

88' Femi comes on for Daigo. I am not the biggest fan of Kobayashi but he had a decent game for about 60+ minutes. Had the revs' first goal and nearly scored a second early in the second half that was well saved.

89' Revs combine well to get down the field and Rose (IIRC) crossed it from the left, putting it on an absolute platter for Femi, who missed the goal. Chance to *win* the game missed.

Another note, when the ref shows there will be 3 minutes of added time, Seattle bench goes nuts, wanting more time. If they got their wish, I don't doubt they would have won it. They had all the momentum, hunger and the crowd behind them in the final 15 minutes.

Frustrating but sadly, I am more apathetic than angry. A result like this in context of a poor start to the year should cost Heaps his job, though we all know it won't.

mrt/MLS, goussoccer, pwykes and 2 others repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much where I am. I wasn't the least bit surprised ot see us blowing that one. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see Heaps screwing up. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see the lack of depth come back and bite us in the ass. Nothing this team does as it continues to fail ... nothing surprises anymore with this organization.

mrt/MLS, RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree, and the worst part last night was that Delamea was the weak link, IMHO. The only positive thing you could truly count on for the Revs.

12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hopefully we don't lose sight of the fact that Rowe was great at left back. I don't recall him getting posterized at all during that game. And Rowe's assist was from a left-footed cross.

Three games unbeaten, wooo........

13. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game reminded me of those games a few years ago when Heaps appeared to be managing minutes for guys like Davies early in the season. The Revs would have a 1 goal lead with 20 - 30 minutes left, there would be a series of subs, and the game would end in a tie or a loss. In those games, cynically, you had a feeling that the Revs would be lucky to hold on for the win. Heaps consistently played out the script and the subs consistently under performed. The Revs left a lot of points on the table in the process.

I have long thought that Heaps should be replaced, but there was nothing new about this game for me to raise the level of concern. As I do not see Heaps getting replaced, certainly not based on this game, I wish that as Heaps grows as a coach that he would get a better feel for when to stay on script and when to deviate from the script.

I like what I have seen from Rowe at left back. Time to try Teal as a right back backup or cut bait. I just do not have any faith in his ability to play up top or in the middle.

I think the lineup/formation that the Revs rolled out last night at the start was the blueprint for the team. That group was the Revs best collection of square pegs in square holes at this time. The Revs should try to find or develop more square pegs to fit those square holes and move anybody who does not fit. Use the moves to find players who fit.

RevsLiverpool and BERich repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prime example of Heaps thinking he is smarter than he is. Revs with 3 defenders on the bench and heaps brings on a defender and two Mid/F to help preserve the win. All he ended up doing was coaching himself and the team out of 3pts and making a fool out of himself in the process

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to remember this when the Revs miss the playoffs by this much this year. Bad luck, injuries. suspensions. other teams being luckier. fixture congestion. all of those things will be part of the excuse machine, but I will remember our "undefeated week," where we only got 3 points from 3 very winnable games.

I turned it off at the 70th minute, thinking that not even the Revs could blow a 3-0 lead in that situation, no matter what idiotic decision Heaps decides on. You think I would have learned by now....

17. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a couple of my random (rambling) thoughts after watching the game.

Paul commented during the match how Stevie and him helped develop Clint to be the world class player he is today. However, with our current coaching staff, we won't have to worry about developing world class players that we would lose to bigger clubs! I have "argued" for years that the American players should play in the MLS. This would help promote the game in the US and hopefully develop some world class players. But given the current lack of development by the coaches in the US; maybe I'm wrong and the Euro snobs are right!

As for the Revs, my fantasy is to get a new coach and front office. Hell, if I'm fantasizing throw in new ownership! Then I would trade Lee and Kei for a left back and additional defensive help. I don't think Kei fits with the current team's tactical approach. I also think he is trying too hard to be a good teammate; just shoot the ball and stop trying to be a good guy. As for Lee, I think he peaked in 2015 when JJ was here. Lee is too slow in moving the ball. He gets the ball at his feet and dribbles around to take a look at what he has available. If the Revs have become a counter team - last game possession of 25% - the ball has to move faster and I think Diego does a much better job of moving the ball down the field.

18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I had missed that. Looks bad but IMO the primary fault on that is the guy behind Rowe (Delamea?) who fails to give Rowe a heads up. Plus the miscommunication between Caldwell and Kouassi that lets Lodeiro put a free cross in.
    What I was thinking of though was getting isolated 1 v 1 and losing the battle; or not tracking a runner, not set pieces. In set pieces, it doesn't really matter if he's an attacking mid or left back.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="ToMhIlL, post: 35396484, member: 3921" Bad luck, injuries. suspensions. other teams being luckier. fixture congestion. all of those things will be part of the excuse machine, but I will remember our "undefeated week," where we only got 3 points from 3 very winnable games.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the all important biased refereeing excuse.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #45 patfan1, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Also "We have hit the crossbar so many times." That was a good one last year. Strange that those that defend the Revs for the two points in the last two games don't now want to mention the crossbar/posts that DC and Seattle have hit in those games (5 or 6?).

pwykes repped this.
  21. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this game on MLS Live which had the Seattle announcers. When the Fagundez - Rowe-Watson change was made one of their announcers commented that he didn't like the sub as it changed a back line that had been working well together and had a rhythm going.

Cannons, a517dogg and RevFan repped this.
  22. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seattle broadcast was so much better than the CSNNE typical broadcast. Very high production value, and the commentators (Keith Costigan and Kasey Keller) don't shamelessly provide excuses and paint false rosy colored narratives.

pwykes and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't deny that I'd rather have "good" people working on this team than a-holes, when Feldman can sit there and say after the game that the Seattle result was a good road point, I want to go hit my head against a wall a few million times.

And good for many Revs fans that have called him on it on Twitter. He's been defending himself said "implied irony."

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote our ex-gaffer, "Ye kin blayme thu rafaree effya lake, bu a thu endathadey, yuh gut tae loo' a yuurself inna mirra!"

TOAzer repped this.
  25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad says something negative he probably gets reprimanded