Revs v. Crew, Game 2 - Post Game (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Danizinho, Oct 9, 2002.

1. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    doing the happy dance...

go revs!

take on the galaxatives!

2. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    Very well put. That's exactly how I feel.

Funny thing is, I knew right after Heaps scored that we were gonna be able to protect the lead. I just knew it, we weren't gonna let them score no matter what it took... amazing saves from Adin, superhuman efforts from Llamossa and Harris, goal line clearances from Franchino, and even a little luck. The joy and feelings I have for this team just can't be summarized in this little box of text, it's such an amazing ride we're on.

GO REVS!!!

3. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    That was a performance to be proud of. Llamosa may have had fresher legs than some of his teammates, but it was his head that saved us over and over again. I wonder if he had more saves than Brown or not. Unbelievable. That take down of Cunningham in the box in an uncallable manner was absolutely brilliant!! A world class play.

The rest of the team was just super and unbelievably committed to defense (well, at least Griffiths came back a few times and tried).

They should be proud of that performance in no uncertain terms.

P.S. I know threads have been written on this, but on the telly they did NOT list Hernandez as 'available'. Above they said he was rested to preserve him for a game 3. Which is it?

P.P.S. Either way we have Kante AND Hernandez for game 3. As long as Pierce is OK, we should be fine.

WELL DONE GUYS...YOU HAVE HONORED YOURSELVES WITH THAT PERFORMANCE.

4. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    you answered yourself

5. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    And....any team who has the gall to put cheerleaders on the field deserve to lose at home.

6. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 shots (I believe that it was 6 on goal with 3 saves which says a lot about the defense in front of Brown)

7. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    not to mention playing music DURING THE RUN OF PLAY!

8. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    That's why I think Nicol has to get coach of the year. A lot has been made of how much the team has improved b/c of the addition of Hernandez and Kante, and deservedly so. But neither of them played last night, and Nicol's defense- made up of virtually the same players who let in so many goals during the regular season- was impenetrable.

9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially cheerleaders in those outfits, 'dancing' to Thriller....

10. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Not really...'they' were the TV announcers. Additionally...the following is taken from the MLS Disciplinary page and follows a list where Dan is listed with 13 points.
    ------------------------------
    All Players will start the Playoffs with zero points. Players who then accumulate THIRTEEN (13) or more caution points will be suspended for the next Playoff Game (including the Championship Game if applicable) and fined $250. ...
    ------------------------------------

Wouldn't that say he was suspended for last night's game and $250 poorer?

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Canned music (during the run of play), cheer leaders, and inflatable "spirit sticks"... but then, they do have "buck-a-brat" night so we can't give them too much stick ;-)

The Magpie

12. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you guys have now scored on your first shot in four of five playoff games. Twellman, G1 vs. CHI. Kamler, G2 vs. CHI. Kamler, G3 vs. CHI. Heaps, G2 vs. CLB. That's amazing efficiency.

13. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I think technically Heap's shot was the second of the game last night (the first being Ralston's wide open header). Without a doubt though, the fact remains that much of the team's recent success comes from scoring early/first, and then using a stifling defense to hold on to that lead.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Sounds like a column!

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Re: Whew!

I think a lot of it is the "flip" side of being a well-coached team. They continue to do the things they've done well all season. But, against a packed in defense that has veteran defenders playing well in the middle, they needed to mix it up and try some different things. That's where you need players with instinctive skills to take over.

The Crew seemed to run the same thing over and over: they'd run towards the middle to pull the defender off the wing, then push the ball out to the corner to Garcia or Cunningham with space, in order to cross it back to the middle. The Revs defense never got unsettled by this play; the central defenders stayed home and defended the middle.

The Crew should have mixed it up by shooting after penetrating from the wing (Garcia passed everytime he beat his man into the area), and by taking some long (low) blasts into the mass of bodies arrayed in front of the goal. And how about a more "indirect" approach on a few of their 10 corner kicks (kick to far post for someone to redirect out front?). They also left too many crosses and corners where Brown could come out and snare them - after all, he's probably got the best "reach" in the league.

16. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    CLB wouldn't score becauses Garcia crosses like a girl.

How many wide open crosses did he have? Like 25? I think I heard the announcer said he crossed the ball 17 times around 75th minute. Most of his crosses either find the head of NE defenders or don't have enough power. He found the head of McBride couple times but his crosses are so soft that McBride just couldn't put enough power on it.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also caught the game at the OverDraught with about 35-40 other viewers, and all I could say after the game was wow.

This team is playing exactly like that ... "a team." One goes down, another takes his place. The job that the defense did is just unbelievable.

And it's not over yet. I'm in Denver currently and will be there through this weekend. Make some noise for me folks ... and remember to laugh at the yellow football team! :)

Monty

18. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

What's that big ol scoreboard say? One-nothing! One-nothing!

Wow again.

I don't even know how to put what I'm feeling into words that do it justice. Even almost 48 hours later.

Guts, determination, confidence, team work...this game had them all.

Llamosa was immense. Brown was amazing yet again. Harris, Kamler, Ralston...the whole team stepping it up on defense. They were unbelievable. The defensive turnaround this team has had over the last few months is incredible.

I literally flew off my couch when Heaps chested it in. After a short celebration, I tried to settle down to watch the rest of the match.

Nerve-wracking. Absolutely nerve-wracking. But wonderful.

Disappointed in the Heaps card. I was even more nervous after that. But the guys really stepped it up and left it all on the field (as George said).

Adrian Healey and Doug Chapman mentioned it being "nailbiting time for Revs fans" and at that moment, I was actually biting my nails and I have never done that.

I am so proud of this team. As Monty said "This team is playing exactly like that ... 'a team.' One goes down, another takes his place." It's great. in the last year we've heard a lot about the teamwork of the New England Patriots last season. Now it can be said about the Revs as well.

Season 7 didn't start out the way we all expected it to (does a season ever do that?). Not the team we expected. Probably not even the coach we expected. Personnel changes on and off the field. Lots of "goals for" and too many "goals against." And now, here we are. The semifinals of the MLS Cup. A chance to add the second Championship banner to Gillette Stadium and the second championship trophy to the display case. Like Emlyn John Lewis I am head over heels and giggly.

The team we've followed for 7 years through some pretty rough times is now on the front page of the Sports section. Gene Lavanchy (CH 7) has teased the sportscast with the Revs and then led off with them a few times over the last few weeks. Our very own fan and BS poster Magpie started a grassroots media campaign to jumpstart coverage and with the help of many other BS posters, the local media took notice. (Thanks again Magpie)

Someone actually came up to me today and said he's "sick of hearing about the Revs." I responded "I'm not!" This is an exciting time to be a Rev fan. I can't get enough of it. As I have told some people leaving the stadium early the last few games..."You can't leave now! We've been waiting 7 years for this!"

I'm proud of this team and extremely happy for them. The coaches and players should be proud of themselves as well. I sure hope Todd Smith has been able to see what's happened the last few weeks.

Can't wait until tomorrow's match. I'm already nervous.

As far as the lineup goes...We'll have Kante and Hernandez back. Even with Heaps out (and possibly Rusty - haven't seen the report yet), I think we'll be fine defensively. The way the team stepped up on Wed., I'm not worried. Twellman being out is a bit worrisome for our offensive production, but Harris has played well and again, the way the team has stepped up, I think they will find a way to score on Saturday.

My voice is back and I'm ready to go. I'm sure this will be the loudest crowd I've ever heard for the Revs. I can't wait!! Be loud folks - we're one game away from the final!!

GO REVS!!!