Revs @ Timbers 4/2 9pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Mar 27, 2017.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up on the revs' schedule is a trip to Providence Park in Portland to face the Timbers. This match is nationally televised on ESPN2.

Portland is coming off their first loss of the season in Columbus, but still have 9 points and 12 goals scored in 4 games. The revs' offense came to life against Minnesota but the defense is still suspect at times, which could be a huge problem against the powerful Timbers' offense.

While Kouassi is nursing a knock, if he is healthy it will be interesting to see if Heaps goes with a similar lineup as he had in Dallas, putting Kouassi at the base of the midfield.

I'm hoping the revs surprise me and get a draw, but am not confident this team can manage the game to the end and get a result. Prediction: 2-1 Portland.

2. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not expecting this to go well at all. I think the Revs will be exposed by a much better team. Anguoa will be proven to be the weak link on defense, and Tierney will probably be beaten for speed too. I think the offense will regress to what we saw in Colorado and Dallas with few chances created.

We lose 4-0.

3. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Blanco or Asprilla against Tierney is frightening. Adi vs Angoua is frightening.

On the other hand, Portland started Roy Miller at central defense this past week, so this could be 4-3.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect this to be the Revs third loss of the season. Huge test against possibly the best offense in the league. 3-0 Timbers

5. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect a repeat of the Dallas game. The Revs will do well at the beginning, but then in the second half, Portland will put in Guzman and Nagbe. Then the true differences between the clubs will be exposed.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on the matchup problems. Anglia is going to get scorched a few more times, then probably injured. Josh Smith will take Angoua's place at CB by the summer and the defense will look better.

As for your point about a 4-3 score, that's where my thought process was too. I don't think the revs will get shutout, but have a hard time seeing them put more than 2 in the net this game. That's more down to the likelihood they will be wasteful with their chances than Portland having a lock down defense.

7. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portlands defense is just bad enough to allow the Revs to score a goal or two. But Portlands attack could shred us. I predict 2-1 loss.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NER beat MIN at home, 5-2.
    POR beat MIN at home, 5-1.
    Therefore, POR should beat NER 2-1.

Of course, it rarely works out that way...

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am willing to cut Angoua a little more slack as he is a little further behind in fitness. I think he looked better last game than in the first. He does however fit into the mold of past CB's in that he just blindly passes up the field to the other team. Maybe Burns and Heaps look for that! I can't see Smith getting a start unless Angoua messes up badly or gets hurt. Making TAM money they are probably going to keep playing him.

VTSoccerFan and Crooked repped this.
  10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Here, here. It's been three games and he was a late preseason addition and then dealt with a knock. Let's give this guy some time to adjust, he's got a pretty good resume.

VTSoccerFan and a517dogg repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have much confidence of walking away with even a point in this one.

12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Nagbe is no better than Lee so its a wash there. Lots of potential, no production. I hope Lee takes it as a personal challenge to show to the TV audience that he's better. Might be a good chance Arena watches just to see

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Not much to talk about leading up to this game as the season has started with question marks that have not been answered in the first 3 games for most people, myself included. But I predict there will be plenty to talk about after the game in either direction.

2 teams at full strength on full rest on nationally televised game. Yep, Revs are away but if you are going to win MLS Cup, that should not matter. No Brad excuses for this one.

Looking forward to it!

16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    swedust repped this.
  17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did but I think has to be and Ap 1 joke. It would be impossible for this team to be so inept that they couldn't solve that, even if true ...... wouldnt it? lol

So tonight we see how we stack up. I hope Lee realizes big eyes are most likely watching and comes to play. That being said, lets hope Heaps has learned his lesson and doesnt muck with the positions again and leaves Juan up top and Lee deeper

18. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Shows what a fool I am....

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assist Tierney ...Idiot!

teskicks and firstshirt repped this.
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    smith with the start over Anguoa. Anyone know what that is all about?

21. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a terrible half by the Revs. They're hanging in, and it's not totally implausible they can come away with a point.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's obvious (so far) that we simply aren't good enough as a team to do anything. We seem to have no offensive plan except cross it in and holler S#@t. Maybe we'll get a lucky bounce. I dont think Diego or Rowe are doing very well. Lee is suffering from jet lag ... Juan too
    just poor effort so far

23. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sit Kamara. The Lurch doesn't work. Revs. need agility and hunger at CF.

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    55 minutes in. It doesn't seem the Revs are threatening at all. Stats say shots are close but I just don't see any sting from the Revs

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo and Kei just look like they don't care. This offense is pitiful....but hey lets take a wait and see approach

A Casual Fan repped this.