Revs Roster Thread, 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Emmanuel Ossei, I think.

Helping new players (especially foreign ones) is a key component of what the successful clubs do. It doesn't take a lot of effort to have someone help them get settled in. Companies do this sort of thing for their employees all the time. If a player is miserable because of some stupid "little" things, he'll be less likely to be at his best.

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Venn diagram of "crazy" and "African" Revs players, Ossei is certainly the standout.

3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I thought the Revs did have someone who assisted foreign players in adjusting to life in the US.
    Mind you, I don't know if that includes how to avoid getting pranked.

4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on! ^^^

5. davidRN

davidRN Member

Oct 19, 2012
    N Central Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the Rev's site, they no longer have the history of all their prior players listed, so forgot his name. Yes, you are correct, but Ossei was who I was thinking about. A couple of the guys decided that moving his car to another spot in the parking lot was funny, but then took off and deserted him, he was picked up by the Staties walking home.
    I have never heard, myself, that their was any Rev's staff to help integrate foreign players into the Boston culture. I don't know anyone currently playing in MLS, but quite a few ex players live in NYC, and still play regularly, I hear quite a bit of the dirt, I am a Rev's fan , but I don't defend their behavior in or out of the locker room.

a517dogg repped this.
  6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I recall (incorrectly possibly?) hearing that Saer Sene needed some help with getting plugged into the pace and flow of greater Boston.

7. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a young African player live with us and if it was not for Wells Thompson I don't know how he would have gotten to practice. I know there were several days he ran to the stadium from our house in Wrentham in order to get to practice on time. He did not have a license and I don't think h e had ever driven a car.

8. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Instantly remembered this.
    https://patch.com/massachusetts/fox...tion-player-addresses-charges-in-co00f5524edb

This part specifically points to an issue with team assistance *unless this was someone else's vehicle.

"Officer Gallagher, according to police reports, radioed the situation into dispatch and that officer informed Gallagher that the vehicle in pursuit had a revoked registration for failing to be insured."

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel came with signed staff, Arena is already behind! ;)

10. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Friedel came with signed staff" Yeah, how did that work out?

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise here:

The best move each team made in the 2019 MLS Primary Transfer Window
    May 23, 2019, 4:20PM EDT
    Andrew Wiebe

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Don't mean to pick on you, because it's a common perception, but I think the perception of Osei was filled with cultural insensitivity - he didn't act/behave like what we're used to, so he must be crazy or whatever.

Personally, I loved the passion he played with and he will always be one of my all-time favorite Revs.
    When Nyassi and Mansally came to the Revs, I knew their agent, so I tried to help find families for them to stay with. The challenge for them at 18 years old or so, was really incredible. In addition to the pressures of making it in professional sports, moving to a new area, all the cultural differences, etc., Boston has virtually no community from The Gambia.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it is really tough to be in a situation like that. The Saer situation is particularly troubling, and it could have been avoided with a little help. Driving is different everywhere in the world,and especially for younger guys living in the suburbs, they need to know the rules of the road and the "norms" of driving in this area. (I know, Boston drivers and all that...)

Imagine if you moved to Japan and had to drive to get anywhere. And all the cars were stickshifts. They drive on the left and it's just awkward shifting gears with your left hand if you're not used to it. I did that in the UK which was bad enough, but in Japan where you can't even read the road signs!

Some sort of cultural liaison is a necessity, not just a "nice to have." They invest a lot in foreign players and they need to do everything possible to help them succeed.

RevsLiverpool, a517dogg and davidRN repped this.
  14. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stories I heard about Osei were way outside the bounds of normal and pushed into the criminal.

I know the family the Gambians stayed with. Very good people. They were within easy walking distance of us.

15. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, while I have no firsthand knowledge of Osei's conduct, what I have heard about him was beyond cultural norms (which I personally am sensitive to, though obviously I can't speak to those involved in the tales told), and into actual anti-social behavior. I'm not condemning him because I don't know enough to do so. But if those stories were true, it's not simply a matter of things being misunderstood.

16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Justin Rennicks subbed on in the 83' for the U20s against Ukraine. He combined well and picked good passes against a team dedicated to parking the bus.

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    A little buzz starting around an MLS move for Lynden Gooch after Sunderland failed to be promoted back into the Championship. He plays both FB, both wing, CM, and CAM so NE can find a use for him, and as an added bonus he is an american so he wouldn't need an intl slot

NFLPatriot and Jon Martin repped this.
  18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Rennicks got another 15 minutes in Poland yesterday. Tab once again rolled him out on the wing, this time on the left. He didnt look amazing, mostly because he really never got on the ball in a game the US was salting away. I still think he is more of a 9 than a winger, but Soto and Weah have taken the lion's share of CF minutes so far.

19. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Rennicks just scored the game winning goal against tournament favorite France at the U20 WC. He came on in the 63' and played as a #10. The goal was a poacher's goal, he was aggressive in the box and was able to pick up a rebound to give the team a 3-2 lead. His most impressive run of play happened in the 88' when with a chance to lock in the result he made a long inside-out run from the right wing and played in soto alone on goal for what should have been the 4th goal. However the French keeper reacted perfectly and was able to take the ball off Soto's feet.

He's looked good in the tournament, and when he returns should challenge both Teal and Juan for starting minutes, and should easily make the bench every game

MM66, RevsLiverpool, Jon Martin and 2 others repped this.
  20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Should challenge Teal & Fagundez for minutes sure - but Agudelo's a #8 now!

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NFLPatriot and BrianLBI repped this.
  22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Juan plays as kind of an 8/10. The way Tab played Rennicks today was fairly similar to how Agudelo has played the last 3-4 games for the Revs, thats why I included Juan.

Rennicks also can play as a wing, as evidenced by his quality during qualifying last winter, but I have generally been less impressed with him compared with his production in more central roles.

23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Beat me to it. Rennicks seems to have a coolness and purpose that I doubt can be taught. He looked like one of the better players on a field full of really good young prospects.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States