Revs Roster 2018 - III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 2, 2018.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, not at all, RKupp. This Senor Hauche is the Droid we've been looking for!

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On face value this signing seems like grass tea

----but when one notes
    ~he wasn't signed off a DVD
    ~He trained with the Revs and they could evaluate his skill with the first team

Brad obvious;y saw something in him sufficient to sign him
    For me the\ says he could well be a goof signing
    We will know one way or the other with direct observation of he gets on the field

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once, Soccer Doc, I agree completely with what you wrote about a Friedel signing. ..... ;)

NFLPatriot repped this.
  4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Denigrate the signing might be too strong a take on my reading of the comments (and my feeling.) Nothing in his record indicates he is a difference maker for us. Is there something there that gives you that indication? He's been on loan from a second division team; i.e. he can't get playing time in the second division. Lemieux says he's a 'depth' signing. So, great, we got another player just like all the other players on the team which have given us a record that indicates we aren't going to make the playoffs --- again. This is more of a 'meh' signing. So count me as neither excited by or upset by the signing. I am more upset that we can't seem to sign a real difference maker.

tsb11 repped this.
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Not seeing this anywhere else...

1042494235809853440 is not a valid tweet id

6. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he got some new pink boots? I gave up getting fashion advice from Kelyn when he adopted a man bun a while back.

7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    So it is a "pink" joke...?

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, FIFA has a rule that a players shoes can NOT ever be in the team colors. So that would mean anywhere but Miami...

It wouldn't surprise me to see players with pink boots in October, but usually that has been a brighter magenta shade.

9. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I want to play a game. Its called who would you keep. The game is simple, which players currently on the revs do you want to still be on the revs next season.

For me its not a very long list:
    Penilla
    Caicedo
    Turner
    Knighton
    Caldwell
    Rowe
    Angking

Everyone else either hasnt proven to me they belong, or have definitively proven they dont belong. In either case, they can take a walk, because replacement level (or worse) players are easy enough to find

TOAzer repped this.
  10. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Good list, I agree with most. Especially Caicedo and Penilla.

Some thoughts on a few other players, most of which assumes other difference making talent is brought in as starters -

re: Teal
    If the whole roster turned over and instead Revs had a stellar attack,
    (I said if... ....LOL)
    then (and only then) I would keep Teal as a high-energy/poacher late-in-game supersub off the bench - as long as he had other people creating the chances that he could clean up/get on the end of.

On a top team with that sort of attack he'd be a nice complementary depth piece in that sort of role, for limited late-game runouts. (The Revs aren't that team, though.)​

re: Hauche
    The jury is still out on Hauche for me. It's hard to get a read on him yet - some stretches and flashes of good stuff, not sure if he is still fully game fit. He's not a difference maker at all, but again it is possible that he would be a good complementary player whose game would be raised significantly and would be much better leveraged by the team if he were playing amidst true difference making talent. Without that around him, I suspect he's much diminished. (For some other players, on current roster, I'm not sure that even with difference makers around them that there individual game would be much affected - i.e., I feel they would continue to make the same mental errors as they do know, and stay at same limited technical skill levels they are at now.)​

re: Anibaba/Bye
    Given their low costs, I would be tempted to keep one or both as emergency depth on the defense. ​

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were in charge...

Players retained as Starters (4):
    Caicedo, Mancienne, Penilla, Turner

Players retained as Reserves (10):
    Angking, Anibaba, Bunbury, Bye, Caldwell, Herivaux, Knighton, Machado, Tierney, Wright

Take 'em or Leave 'em (3):
    Hauche, Samayoa, Segbers

Trade Bait (3):
    Fagundez, Farrell, Rowe

Released/Out of Contract (7):
    Agudelo, Cropper, Delamea, Dielna, Hollinger-Janzen, Somi, Zahibo

Jon Martin and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Thats a lot of players retained as reserves, comoared with the number of desirabole starting players. Probably not a good sign. Not that i hope he does, but it wouldnt surprise me if tierney retired after his latest knee injury.

Also, if you occupy an international roster spot and your play thus far has people feeling nothing about your quality, then you probably belong in the "Leave 'em" pile.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd keep Cropper of Knighton. He makes less and is 7 or 8 years younger. I liked what I saw from Cropper last year and fully expected this to be a break out year for him. Nothing I saw from Turner this year should me that he was that much better than Cropper

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when a lot of us were worried that either Atlanta or Minnesota would scoop up Cropper? Seems so long ago...

15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Revolution blame stoppage-time July home loss to LA Galaxy for brutal slump
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...ge-time-july-home-loss-la-galaxy-brutal-slump

Meanwhile, Designated Player and center back Claude Dielna, as well as offseason left back signing Gabriel Somi, haven't made an 18-man gameday roster in two months. Friedel declined to give a direct answer for their exclusion.

“We have nearly a full season with the players, so we know which players we’re going to want to be here and which ones we won’t,” Friedel said. “But that’s not a slight on the player. Not every player is going to be able to play with every staff. There will be changes, of course.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    More evidence that mlssoccer has no idea what theyre reporting. Hauche has been in town 2 weeks, played 100 minutes, and generally looked good. Meanwhile mancienne has done little to turn around the defense that continues to fall apart. I seriously think the "out of favor" comment is directed at zahibo, implying he has somehow been a positive influence when he is on the field.

I'm always excited to see people talk about the revs, someone needs to report on this beautiful mess the krafts have made. Then i realize they probably havent watched the games. And really, can you blame them?

NFLPatriot, TOAzer and dncm repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article was written by Jonathan Sigal, who's at pretty much every single game.

18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s fair to say Hauche has had “little impact”. How much can he do in 100 minutes, even if they’ve been positive? And “out of favor” could apply to Zahibo and Machado, both of whom we know have been in Friedel’s thinking for quite a while, even if Friedel hasn’t been making use of Machado since signing him. Regardless of the particulars, I don’t think there’s anything in that assessment that suggests ignorance of the Revs. It’s pretty fair - these guys either haven’t done much (whether it’s their fault or not), or are in the dog house.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with one game left to play, they are 2-6-3 in their last 11. If they manage to beat MON (which is one of the 4 wins I had expected), they will finish with 12 points in the final 12 games, two less than I predicted.

When you fall short of even the NNN's expectations, something is wrong.

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's been the story for the past three or four seasons, just check the annual prediction thread.

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    The MLS players association updated its public salary database yesterday.

Machado: $150k
    Hauche: $135k
    Mancienne: $1.37M

Looks like our 2 south american additions were signed to be bargain basement depth pieces.

The rest of numbers look more of less like they did earlier this season.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    2nd lowest payroll in the league, and somehow arguably the most overpaid defense.

firstshirt and MM66 repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But on the bright side, the offense led the league in goals per dollar spent... ;)

24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Details of New England Revolution overhaul emerge, many questions remain
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...olution-overhaul-emerge-many-questions-remain

Seems to contradict what Mike Burns was saying about not a lot of roster overhaul...although to be fair - the author is making some guesses (outside of the Dielna answer).

These 2 lines stood out to me:

They were largely curt, business-like responses from Revolution players,

And with the imminent departure of Dielna, the Revs are set to have zero Designated Players on the roster.
    And it is getting irritating that every Rev article tries to end with talking about the new training facility....

25. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Odd that the author suggests Rowe played LB on sunday, considering he played as an 8/10 hybrid.

The bigger concern is that although there is a lot of guessing about who wont be on the team, not so much of a peep about who the revs will look to add to it.