Revs Roster 2018 - III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 2, 2018.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Interesting that Rowe, Fagundez, Bunbury, Caldwell, and Farrell all below 300K.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know myself and many others have repeatedly said that the Revs recruiting efforts are hurt due to the turf. I also know others here argue about how much of an issue that is. Well for one new Revs player at least, he believes it is.

From last week's BSJ in a 1-on-1 with Manciennes:

3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If turf is such an issue, why do three of the teams that play on the same type of surface have payrolls twice the size of the Revs?

BrianLBI repped this.
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because sometimes you have to pay more to get the player to deal with that kind of issue? Or there are other things also involved (and never once did I say it was just turf).

Also, that stat doesn't mean much when we're generally one of the lowest spending teams anyway.

Also, Merritt Paulsen informed a set of STH's yesterday that their hope is to switch to grass by 2020.

firstshirt repped this.
  5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I know portland has that sweet nike science turf. Vancouver actually has the fifa certified artificial surface that they designed in germany. Atlanta has tata, and i guess players want to play for him. I dont know about seattle, but deuce probably played a role is saying this place is alright

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what tsb said. Players might see turf as a negative, but that can be outweighed by all the positive things a good organization, top to bottom, can do for a player. All of the seemingly little things that we hear about from other teams like getting the players settled in, making them feel comfortable off the field, etc. make a difference.

Maybe the Revs do do all those things, but we never hear a peep about it. They are terrible at PR, and could improve their public perception very easily with just a tiny milli-scad of effort.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tsb11 and dncm repped this.
  8. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I can only guess that something happened to put him in Friedel doghouse - and it couldn't have just been his play that caused him to drop off the face of the earth.

Props to those clubs looking for players that they might want who will be available on a free and looking to scoop them up. Revs get nothing "extra", they will get that salary relief.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, for a guy with his salary and pedigree, I expected better. He lost marks at critical times and never really took leadership of the defense.

I think Friedel could continue playing him at left back, but maybe figured that Bye, given some time to develop, could become a long-term solution (or at least competent backup), while Dielna was not going to get an extension anywhere near what he has been making.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs last remaining DP, Dielna signed in July of last year, didn't play until August 20th, playing only 6 games before Heaps was fired. So he (along with Nemeth) was a last gasp signing by Heaps. Ironically, the money given to Dielna and Nemeth was probably the last straw for Nguyen, as he first asked to be traded shortly after they arrived. Soon, all 3 will be gone.

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I agree that he was unlikely to be re-signed at a number anywhere close to his current salary. But i disagree that the best use of his remaining salary was to banish him to the wilderness, he had been a very competent contributor at both cb and lb. Bye impressing at lb and taking his starting spot doesnt mean he cant be in the 18. "Losing marks at critical times" has been the motto of our center backs this season, claude was no more guilty in that respect than jalil or tony.

dncm, rkane1226 and Jon Martin repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was about to agree, but I think he was more guilty. Those guys make mistakes too, but different ones IMO.

Anibaba gets caught flat-footed, beaten positionally by clever attackers and sometimes makes physical mistakes (ex., lunges for a ball and not reaching it), but he's been pretty good at marking. And, he's a low-cost guy, so expectations are a lot lower.

Delamea has made mistakes too, but fewer than the rest - although his hand-ball was kind of a mind-exploding one.

Farrell makes multiple bad mistakes virtually every game. Fortunately for him, he's physically able to recover from many of them - but not all.

BrianLBI repped this.
  14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree with this and wish that Friedel applied it to more positions/players. Dielna won't be back here next season as his play doesn't justify his salary, and the Revs aren't going on a deep playoff run this season (in the unlikely event that we even make the playoffs), so we should be playing young guys and guys that need to acclimate to the league. That means I want to see more of Wright, Angking, Herivaux, Samayoa, and Segbers. Not all in the same game and not necessarily starts, but I want to at least see them play. After all, Wright got one start and got us a win; Angking got 30 minutes and changed the game really positively.

Doublecard and NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow - what with the news that they tried to sign someone in Jan - transfer fee too high so said they would wait till June, mix-up at MLS office, and Minnesota signed him?

Did we ever hear about that?

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Here's the text of that:

While the US was losing to Brazil, Ecuador was defeating Jamaica, 2-0, just 10 miles down the Jersey Turnpike at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. Romario Ibarra earned his third cap for Ecuador (he’s scored two goals) and his brother, Renato Ibarra, converted the second goal. Romario Ibarra came close to becoming a member of the Revolution, who claimed him as a “Discovery” player in the preseason. The Revolution could have signed Ibarra, but considered Universidad Catolica’s requested transfer fee excessive and decided to wait until June, when he became a free agent. But a mixup at MLS headquarters allowed Minnesota United to claim Ibarra, leaving the Revolution empty-handed except for compensation in allocation funds.

Wow!

I'm rather shocked that MLS doesn't have a more equitable way to resolve it's mixups.

18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    At least they could have done a blind draw!

ToMhIlL repped this.
  19. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    #269 tsb11, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    The piece leave the reader to believe that its an incompetent error on the part of mls that allowed Minnesota to make the signing, and in any other case i would be inclined to agree. But i'd be willing to make a small wager that a certain revolution front office executive managed to bungle this one

Edit: i spoke too soon. Per the rules

MLS teams may sign players on another team’s discovery list, however, the team that currently has the player on their list must first be given the opportunity to make a genuine offer to the player, or shall be paid $50,000 in general allocation money for the opportunity to sign the player

Looks like there is no league office error, definitely just the revs being too slow/burns bungling the signing. Once Minnesota offered the 50k the revs had 5 days (3 if the window had opened) to either accept the money or make a genuinely objectively reasonable offer. Because burns doesnt kow the meaning of those last 4 words and the krafts love money the choice was obvious.

goussoccer repped this.
  20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Stumbled on this when reading latest MLS article on Revs. It was at bottom - interesting - my bold:

Teal Bunbury, Andrew Farrell, Brad Knighton. re-sign with NE Revolution (Dec 15, 2017)
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...w-farrell-brad-knighton-re-sign-ne-revolution

The Revolution announced on Friday that they have re-signed forward Teal Bunbury, defender Andrew Farrell, and goalkeeper Brad Knighton through the 2018 MLS season. The three players were set to be out of contract at the end of the year, but the club has ensured that they will stick around at least a little while longer.

So based on my understanding of the above: Agudelo(from another article), Bunbury, Farrell, and Knighton are ALL out of contract at end of year. (4)

Caicedo and Penilla are loans expiring at end of year (option to BUY) (2)

Dielna (and maybe Somi) are all banished and have contract at end of year (2)

Cropper banished, but no idea (1)

9 players - wow!

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, imagine being out-smarted by a team like Minnesota! They are regarded as one of the few teams with a similar level of FO incompetence as the Revs. It would be one thing to get hoodwinked by one of the "moneyball" teams who actually do find ways to work harder and smarter than the big spenders, but this... Of course, Burs prolly got a pat on the head for getting them an extra 50 grand, when the alternative would have been to spend a lot more on signing a player. WIN-WIN!

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hold on a minute. This was reported by Frank Del'Apa, who has a sterling reputation. FDA said "a mixup at MLS headquarters allowed Minnesota United to claim Ibarra". So, on what basis are you guys blaming the Revs for this, when FDA clearly reports otherwise?

Sounds to me like MLS failed to notify the Revs that the clock started running on their time to make an offer (unless someone can offer some other explanation).

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it would be nice if some day we find that our front office is the one who managed to sign a player right out from under someone else's nose because we were paying attention and looking for loopholes. Wait, id did happen once when we signed Chase Hilgenbeck, the guy who was a decent defender, but left the team a couple of years later to become a priest. He was on Colorado's discovery list or something like that, and they objected. We might have had to give them a draft pick or something.

Or the time when we put a discovery claim on a player we had no intention of signing, just so when the Galaxy signed him, they had to pay us 50 grand.

I just wish they had a bit more foresight and proactiveness when it comes to actually making the team stronger by signing better players.

24. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there was the guy who left to do scientific research. The Revs used to lose players for the most interesting reasons.

BrianLBI repped this.
  25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    So we either get to see a massive turnover in the roster and Brad gets to really make the roster in his image...OR....we get to see the Front Office fall all over themselves and we start the 2019 preseason with about 18 people on the senior roster!! What are the odds Vegas would give to either of those options happening? ;):(

tsb11 repped this.