News: Revs Roster 2018 -- II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do people think the mystery signings ("we're close") position is"" My guess is he's a striker. I doubt they would be shopping our miliar dollar man if they weren't thinking they had a quality replacement is the pipeline

3. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Striker would make sense. But a center d wouldn’t shock me. We clearly lack depth there.

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham Youngster Could Move to MLS on Loan

New England Revolution are interested in signing Fulham youngster Luca De La Torre on loan for the Major League Soccer season.

The Whites are considering whether a move to the United States would be the right step in the 19-year-old’s development.

Californian De La Torre – a United States Under-20 international – made five appearances for Fulham’s first team between October and January but has not been selected since.

msilverstein47 and BrianLBI repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be pretty sweet.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a good move but I hope this was the signing Brad was refering too

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am underwhelmed by the revs being essentially a development club for Fulham but then again, they are currently 4th which means they're as good or better than any MLS team.

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like what I've seen of de la Torre, which admittedly isn't much. I think he'd help the Revs... but he's a band-aid. He (...likely) wouldn't be here after this season, so why bother?

9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Luca's POV of the POV of his people, why would he/they choose New England of all places for his development?

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Brad's credit he did work with the Spurs youth team and from what I recall reading had a pretty good reputation working with younger players

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe Friedel also coached de la Torre with the US U-19 National Team.

firstshirt repped this.
  12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think the positive spin is that the Revs have in the past shown a near absence of ingenuity when it comes to finding talent that is not someone's reject. I didn't know they had it in them. Here's a kid who almost certainly plays at a decent level, who won't cost much and can help the team. It also suggests that - after the Sporting debacle - there is still the possibility of forging relationships with clubs at a higher level.

RevsLiverpool, firstshirt, dncm and 2 others repped this.
  13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see if Friedel can work an agreement with Spurs, Blackburn, Villa or Liverpool and actually utilize it and not just have something on paper

14. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the article: There are discussions with a club in American MLS and both parties are set to find a solution for the player. Koffie has previously been lent to the New England Revolution but joined the Bajen in front of this season after the US tour.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This'll be interesting. I don't know if we need more DM help, but with the frustration that his team had with the Revs just a couple of months ago, I have no idea if they'd want to deal with the Revs either?

17. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This only excites me if there is an option to buy. A one year loan for a team in rebuilding mode is useless.
    An option to buy shows true ambition, as well as a semblance of a plan for the future.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade Nguyen, Cropper and Koffie's rights to Chicago for....

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, it seems like we're stockpiling DMs. I'm hoping this guy is being viewed as a more attacking player (plenty of that in his highlights) or at least a box-to-box player.
    Could be the perfect opportunity for payback. :sneaky:

But, Koffie, been there, done that. Is he an "only MLS" player - wonder why he can't stick overseas.
    At some point, MLS was saying that they'd only approve loan deals with an option to buy. I don't know if that's changed, but I'd think it would be unlikely Fulham would be willing to give up control of this player. Maybe making the purchase price prohibitive would be a way around it.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be very surprised if they even answer calls from the 508 area code. Plus with the new guy coming in is there really a need for Koffie?

21. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    According to this tweet, by one of Sweden's top soccer reporters (and the most profiled Silly Season/transfer expert) Hammarby sports director Jesper Jansson has confirmed that Gershon Koffie is close to a return to Revs. No word yet on whether it's a new loan deal or a sale. I think Hammarby would absolutely be more interested in a permanent transfer rather than another season-long loan. Wouldn't expect a huge sum though.

22. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Edit: Now with video as well (all in Swedish). Mainly about Hammarby's signing of former NT player Erkan Zengin and Serb Nikola Djurdjic, but starting at 3:20 the conversation turns to Koffie for about a minute. Nothing really new but it confirms there are negotiations. https://www.expressen.se/tv/sport/fotboll/allsvenskan/jansson-om-zengin-hade-en-trevlig-kvall/

Rough translation:
    "Understand he wants to return to MLS. Close to a solution? Revs owns the rights"
    "Yeah, it's a complex system, and there's someone on that other chair, in New England as well, but Gershon is incredibly professional and working hard here. Last year it was... an unfortunate start, an unfortunate... ...no shadow falls on Gershon, but we have to take it as a learning that we cannot handle situations in Hammarby that way."
    "It was Michelsen (former HC) who was pretty rough on him?"
    "Yes well, you can evaluate a player but you need to give them a shot before you make your decision."

BrianLBI repped this.
  23. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UUUUUUUUgggggghhhhhhhhh Maybe his short time away somehow made him better? If this is true then thats it for BF in my opinion

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't understand bringing back Koffie.

At all.

RevFan repped this.
  25. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It only makes sense if it's part of a larger move.