News: Revs Roster 2018 -- II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was reported that the Revs changed the terms of the deal after they had reached a verbal agreement, and that's when the player backed out. He was on his way to come to Boston for his physical, so it was about as close to a "done deal" as you can get, without actually being a formally signed contract.

Now if the player is lying about this, pinning on the Revs if they decided they wanted another player instead, I guess that's possible. However, it doesn't help matters when these things get reported and no one from the Revs ever comments either way. In the absence of "both sides" you only get one side.

I don't expect Billelo to get into Twitter fights, since it isn't very "presidential," but there are times when they do need to make a statement to clarify things, and set the record straight. It does a world of good for your public perception.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine this tweet "Unfortunately I tried to pull the wool over Machodo's eyes and sneak in another year on the contract but his lawyers were actually paying attention. My mistake" - Mike Burns

NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Not so different from Trump and his mouthpieces vs. Mueller/FBI. One side is free to spout whatever lies and innuendo they want, while the other needs to maintain it's integrity and profesionalism.

a517dogg repped this.
  4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I agree %100.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So all the media reports about Machado are lies, and the Revs maintain their silence out of integrity? Hogwash.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the man just said...
    Now I'm not exactly what you'd call Mike Burns' biggest fan. You never see me singing and chanting holding up a scarf that says "Mike Burns: #4 in your program, #1 in our hearts," And the other side says "4-5 Steps Ahead." But man, that is a harsh comparison! :eek:

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Mueller/FBI has unquestionable integrity? LOL

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More so than a man who lies on average of 5-6 times a day in official public statements and has taken political corruption to unimaginable depths, yes.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revs haven't declared it "fake news" yet so there's that

BrianLBI repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    "all the media reports"? I only saw a blurb or two - stemming from pretty much the same source; maybe you had more information than me?
    The FBI has had their scandals, for sure, but Mueller? Yes. The guy's a freaking [Republican] Eagle Scout. Funny how the right will savage anyone who has the audacity to investigate their lier-in-chief - even those they nominated and confirmed themselves!

11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    **** Politics Alarm.****

Please no.

P l e a s e

n o.

That's part of why I still come here - it has been apolitical. Meanwhile, outside this site, it's an unavoidable endless fire-hose of politics across the internets.

Don't start down the slippery slope here. Football/soccer has enough to enjoy/discuss/debate without entwining politics in the conversations.

FWIW, that's my 2 cents.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. There is a whole Politics and Current Events forum for that sort of thing.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Your original statement was that Burns has been able to land every player Friedel wanted. Machado isn't here, so your statement is false, no matter how many weak excuses you try to come up with (Machado doesn't count because he wasn't Friedel's first choice, Machado doesn't count because the Revs never shared their side of story, Machado doesn't count because there weren't enough media reports to corroborate...)

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Exactly what I said was "So far there's no indication that Friedel hasn't gotten players he's wanted because of problems with Burns.". When you mentioned Machado, I responded with "possibly ..." (meaning that I was accepting that he was possibly an exception), but that I had some doubts - which I elaborated on.

On January 4th, Machado posted that he was going to sign with the Revs. Within a week the Revs signed Zahibo. Which one was their first choice and which was their 2nd? Impossible to know w/o inside knowledge. Which one did Friedel want most?

I theorized that they were negotiating with both and *perhaps* reached an agreement with Zahibo that they were satisfied with, and thus negotiations, even though maybe at a late stage, with Machado broke down as a result.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Sorry. :oops:

16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Bob, thanks. It was not directed solely at you specifically/individually. There have been a few flareups in the last few months, my thought was that this soccer discussion is, and will remain, far more enjoyable without something as peripheral and polarizing as national politics. I personally don't have the energy nor desire to wade through it here as well.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe and Nemeth had zero minutes for this last game. Nemeth now seems to be the third striker behind Teal and Wright and Rowe although starting the last two games before this one now seems to be the odd man out in the midfield. Of a possible 2160 minutes Nemeth and Rowe have a combined 463 minutes and a combined salary of over 1.2 million dollars. Meanwhile Bye and Wright have combined for 367 with a combined salary of 130k. It looks like the writing is on the wall for Nemeth and Rowe. With a heavy schedule they should see time over the next 2.5 weeks but if they don't get playing time......Summer transfers?

18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Rowe will find his way into Friedel's plans. I'm less sure about Nemeth. We'd likely have to eat some of his salary to move him.

rkupp repped this.
  19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe within MLS, maybe not so much if he moves abroad

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Rowe got a run-out for a few games (not all starts), but I wasn't impressed. He's always been a guy who needed to find his groove to get on a good run, but with injuries and having trouble finding minutes, he hasn't really gotten going.

Based on performance, I think Friedel's made the right choice. Maybe the USOC will be the way for him to get his rhythm the year.

I also think similarly about Nemeth - he's had opportunities, but I just haven't seen much when he's gotten (abeit, limited) chances. I think it's best to move him, but with his contract (and mediocre performance) it won't be easy.

21. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm sure that's the logic, but I''m not sure I buy it. Any player, particularly one who has played at a higher level than is currently being seen, will do better if he has the coach's confidence and time to get his feet on the ground. It worked for DF after (arguably) not getting a fair shake from Heaps. We know that Nemeth and Rowe are better players than we have seen this year. The question is why.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May be just the system of play. Brad may just prefer others for his style. He also just may not like the two players, doesn't think they give it their all. Whatever the reason these are two guys known in MLS to be average to above average players. Rowe is a guy that averages almost 5g and 6a a year. This includes last year where he missed 10 games. look around the league and see how many players making less than 200k base put up those numbers. Probably count them on a single hand. Nemeth is also a proven player in MLS and abroad. They have value and I have a feeling they may be shopped this summer

23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  24. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we witnessed the end of Chris Tierney's career last night. If this injury is serious he may opt to retire.

25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Has there been any update?