Revs Pre-Season News/Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 18, 2018.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder when it will get to the point people start throwing each other under the bus. My money's on Friedel to throw the first rock publicly, bashing Burns. The Foxboro koolaid effects don't last forever.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    We gave up 5 goals with him on the field --- at what point did he get injured? With him in the center of the park things were certainly bleak for the Revs.

What were Brads goals for Goals Against for the season? Yowzer.

The preseason doesn't matter, doesn't matter --- but it does a little when you are playing most of your supposed starters and the opposition doesn't have their best talent on the field and you lose 6-2. While analogies to the Patriots early season and pre-season losses might be made, they don't wash when you look at the base talent of the two teams. We don't have an MLS all-star* much less a standout difference maker. Just so freaking sad.

*-Zahibo, a coaches pick, isn't even someone many of us would start on this team anymore.

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Ill finally get to see what we're doing today. Friedel had better have a good showing at this point. This should be his starters and a preview for Dallas

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This podcast on tactics in the Orlando game is well worth a listen. Brad got it all wrong.

5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see the game against Dynamo Kiev? The first half was like us against Orlando. The second half was like us against Greenville.
    Reykjavik is the best on Iceland, so it is a good training ground for that island's younger players, but a USL team, at best, at the senior level [all those with any genuine promise having moved on to academies and teams in the UK or Scandinavia, primarily.
    It should be a straightforward match. We'll see.

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the first time. What are the odds it will be the last time?

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will disagree with you completely on this. For it to be make or break, someone at the top has to care about the results. They've proven over and over that it's not really vital for them to succeed. If they miss the playoffs, maybe (MAYBE) someone loses their jobs. Or people get more promotions. With this organization, you never know.

And as much as people keep using the "it's only pre-season" ... SKC went 4-1-0 in their last 5 preseason games, and then went on to beat a Liga MX team that's fully in-season 3-0 in a CCL game. Preseason isn't just to get in shape, or chemistry, or tactics ... it's about prepping for the season. We'll see how the Revs preseason sets them up soon enough.

A Casual Fan, pwykes and RevFan repped this.
  8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed. I’m looking forward to actually watching

QFT

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's make or break for me......;)

They make it, I continue to contribute something to their financial well being. They break it, I believe I will contribute no more forever......

10. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Will give it a listen...the other thing to consider is that after any halftime tactical adjustments or 'coaching' the team was ripped apart. Not a good sign for the tactical/game acumen of the coaching staff.

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

Interesting: Knighton in goal, Agudelo "over" C2 as a 9, Bunbury "over" Fagundez as a more wide right player. Not sure how much to read into the placements of Agudelo and Bunbury - just for today or Friedel changing his mind/system?

Assuming Farrell and C1 are still out with injuries

12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Penilla taking the inswinging corners so far (2 of them)

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Penilla draws and then converts the penalty kick in 11th minute. 1-0 Revs

14. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    So are we using this for PBP?

EDIT -- there's my answer lol

15. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    This is first I have seen this edition of the Revs.

In-person reports from other pre-season games noted how poorly the players receive the ball.

Duly noted.

16. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    35' save needed to be made there. Thanks, Knighton.

TOAzer repped this.
  17. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    37' double passed headers leaves an open header from six yards. Lucky to still be up a goal.

18. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Just so I don't sound all negative: I like this new kit.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    First 15 minutes Revs looked OK. 16-30 Reykjavik looked at least as good if not better. 31-45 Revs look OK again.

Zahibo looked sharp in that last 15 minute OK stretch imho

dncm repped this.
  20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Reykavik's best opportunity came on a Knighton clearance to the 50 yd line which then came right back at Knighton and almost over him for a goal.

21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Really Windy and feels choppy in a preseason way - but in my opinion, nothing looks that much different than last year so far.

Gil is clearly who they are trying to play through.

The announcer is pronouncing it as "Hil"

Will be interesting to see if there are wholesale changes/any changes for 2nd half.

22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Ill try and play closer attention this half if I can stay awake.

Ive see little attack because I have seen little evidence of an AM so far. Is this field small? There seems to be little room. Thats my biggest take so far

23. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole match feels very much like a desultory slog against a college or pdl team. I'm ready for the fake preseason to end so that we can start MLS matches and gin up our real preseason.......:coffee:

24. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Gil does look better than what we've had so far in the little time I've seen him so far.

25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Announcer has not noticed but it looks like Turner has started the 2nd half and is playing. he just referred to him as Knighton, but clearly you can see it is Turner (plus #30)