Revs @ Portland, 6/6 P/I/P

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs hit the road heading to the West Coast for a game against PTFC. Revs are 5-3-6 (21 points, 2nd in the East) on the year, but haven't won in their last 5 (0-1-4) and have blown a lead in each.

Portland is 5-5-4 (19 points, 6th in the West) on the season. They're 2-1-3 at home this season, with a +1 GD.

Most likely the Revs will be without Jermaine Jones, but Lee Nguyen and Chris Tierney will be returning from their red-card suspensions.

Portland Timbers v New England Revolution
    Providence Park (10:30pm EDT)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Daniel Radford

2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This game is the start of a test for the rest of the rest of the regular season. All signs point to JJ getting the dreaded adductor injury, which likely means he's out for 10+ games, and Heaps will have to gameplan for his absence. I believe the team is missing Agudelo too due to National Team duty, which makes this an even more daunting game.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the natural guy to pick up the slack for Jones being out is Andy Dorman, but after sitting out one game for yellow cards, he promptly picked up another in his first game back. Not good, considering how much the depth is going to be tested.

Imagine if Mike Burns had the vision and foresight to anticipate this kind of thing and stocked the roster with new players over the off-season. I know, it is such a rare fluke to have key players miss games due to injury, suspensions and national team duty, no one could have predicted that would happen to us.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. shamrockshore

shamrockshore New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Dorman has Zero vision. How many
    times does he see the outside threat,
    and proceed to play center or back.
    As already pointed out never shoots.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main difference between this season and last is the ability to pick up a point in each of the last 5. They could very easily be 5 blown leads for 5 losses, mirroring last season's swoon. Thankfully the east is mediocre and beating each other up, which is helping keep the revs in 2nd. But with JJ possibly gone for 10 weeks, that puts his return in mid August, around the same time he came last year. Nguyen needs to get going as the revs have to start converting draws into wins.

I expect this match to be a 1 1 draw as Portland isn't exactly a worldbeater either.

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I'd much rather see Daigo paired with Caldwell, rather than Dorman, assuming he can go at least 60 minutes. Perhaps not quite as good defensively, but much better for possession and attack.

Jon Martin repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs gave NYC FC their first and only win of the season so far.

This week they have the chance to give PTFC their first ever (as an MLS club) three-game winning streak...

8. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this game could go either way. Portland is starting to get their offense together again. Adi is a dangerous target forward. There could be several goals in this one. Anyone going to the game?

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there are a few making the trip.

10. shamrockshore

shamrockshore New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    • Came across some stats that give​
    An insight into how poorly Lee has
    been playing. 27 shots only 6 on frame
    and 1 goal. Not that any of our strikers
    are setting the world alight either.
    Juan has taken 28 shots only 10 have
    been on goal 4 goals pretty poor return for 14 games played.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - Agudelo is disappointing but seems to be loved based on his 2013 performance. Davies has been scoring consistently but he needs help.

12. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Agudelo. Personally, Agudelo is frustrating to watch because I've seen what he's capable of, and it seems like his effort level isn't there, in stark contrast to Davies who is much less talented but works his tail off.

13. revsfan108

revsfan108 Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Davies only has 1 more goal (having played 1 less game) than Agudelo...and Agudelo didn't play competitive soccer last year. I like what Davies has done this year but Agudelo hasn't been producing that poorly all things considered.

The Revs have also scored 8 goals during this 5 game winless streak (compared to 12 goals in their first 9 games) and have scored 2 goals in 3 of the games. Not sure the offense has been the issue lately for them. It's actually probably the reason why this 5 game winless streak doesn't include more losses.

14. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played in Holland through May of 2014.

All he missed was the fall season last year, not a full year.

15. revsfan108

revsfan108 Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So he went more than 10 months without playing a competitive game. That's almost a year. Certainly longer than a full MLS season (including an MLS Cup run!) and more than 3 times longer than a normal offseason.

16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Dorman gets the start rather than Daigo because of fitness. But even if fitness wasn't an issue, Portland plays with a lot of possession. Daigo is better in possession than Dorman but Dorman is better out of possession than Daigo. And if Agudelo is with the Nats already then Diego gets the start.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious why Agudelo is back with the NT but Davies isn't? JK is looking for more cheeky backheels?

18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Because Agudelo is a 22 year old striker with far more potential than Davies?

19. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was not too impressed with Agudelo in the last game as well. If Jones is out for a while the Revs will need all the help they can get.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 RevsLiverpool, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Will be great when he shows some of that potential in the form of more goals. Is 4g2a enough at this point to merit a callup? Or maybe the better question, is the US striker cupboard that bare? Just not impressed. For a NT caliber striker he needs to get on the scoresheet (even assists) more often.

Wondo, Dempsey, Davies, Bruin, Rolfe, Jozy (although he's hurt I believe) all are ahead of Agudelo based on form this season. Only Wondo has played more minutes - the rest have a better haul in fewer minutes.

So while JA has potential, there are certainly better American strikers that should be ahead of him in the depth chart.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Agudelo has a creative instinct that none of the others (except Dempsey) have. He's also young and athletic, with a big upside. He could improve his work-rate and intensity, but I'm sure Klinsmann will expect that as a starting point.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's not terrible production at this stage, but he's also had a ton of near misses, exceptional saves and shots off the woodwork IIRC. He's been a bit snake-bitten; with a little luck he could have had 7-8 goals by now IMO.

23. shamrockshore

shamrockshore New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Let's call it like it is,Juan is a​
    lazy player.Doesnt like to
    break his ass. And as TT
    said he seems happy with
    one goal doesn't go for
    the second.Skill wise,he's
    one of our best.Work ethic
    that's a different story.

24. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't think Juan is lazy - I've never seen a lack of effort from him on the field. He is too fancy for his own good sometimes (him trying to backheel into an open net in the NYCFC game still makes me groan), but he's usually one of the team's most influential players.

Eventually though, his age is going to stop being an excuse for a lack of exceptional production - he's only 22, but he still hasn't hit 10+ goals in nearly 5 fully professional seasons (his season high is 9, split between Chivas and the Revs in 2013).

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 RevsLiverpool, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    I agree on the first part of your post, Agudelo does have a creative flair that's rare in American strikers. He is fun to watch when he's on his game. However, for work-rate and intensity - are they really teachable? Seems to me, you either have them or you don't.

He's not that snake bitten - his goal against TFC was a little striker's luck. Besides, he doesn't shoot enough to be unlucky. If he works on his finishing he could rapidly become a more finished product.
    Exactly. I'm tired of hearing "he's young". Maybe I'm just too demanding to be a US soccer fan but at 22 he should be consistently scoring 9-12 goals a year in MLS, with a few assists and game winners mixed in.