Revs Offseason News, 2012 (Part 1)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad the Pats are doing something. As the article said - Newtown is a soccer town. It's geographically located in New England. While it's obviously tougher when you're not in season to show your support, there's no reason the revolution couldn't have done as much, or more than the Houston freakin Dynamo. That goes for the sox, C's and B's as well (lockout isn't an excuse).

2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes any of you think the Rev's even have a choice in this? They are the employees of the Kraft's and my money is on the probability that the Rev's F.O. has no say in the matter. And, it's probably just the same fact of life that the Krafts don't consider the Rev's more than an investment. Investments can't do social services.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could find out if any of the kids were revs fans and send players to visit them. Or send jerseys. Anything to show they care.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Agreed. It doesn't need to cost a lot of money, any showing of support would be nice.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I grew up pretty close to that area; there are NOT a ton of Patriot fans, Sox fans, etc. It is Giants and Yankees country, whether it's geographically part of New England or not.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did you last live there? If it's been longer than c.2002 since you had family in the area schools, times have changed and there is probably a larger mix of pats/sox fans, based on success of Boston teams over the last decade.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Newtown

So, yes, they did have something planned.

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess something is better than nothing, but a "free soccer clinic" on December 29th is kinda weak.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If anything this is just another testament to how bad the Revs' PR staff is. Why haven't they done more to promote themselves and talk about what they're doing to aid and support the Newtown community?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That I'm not sure I can fault them for. "Let not your left hand know what your right hand is doing." You don't want to be seen as taking advantage of a tragedy. It's a really, really fine line to walk.

I'm just not sure a soccer clinic is the most appropriate response. A donation of some kind, or player appearances at schools in the district (we can dig Tierney, Fagundez, and Alston out for things throughout the offseason, why not this?), or even subsidizing Newtown's youth rec soccer leagues for a season...that's the kind of thing that would be appropriate and substantial.

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree that you don't want to be seen tooting your own horn, but all of the other professional sports franchises haven't had an issue getting publicity and media coverage of the charity work they've done. It's just a testament to how poor our communications and PR efforts are. That being said, I also agree that I'd like to see the club do more than just some soccer clinics.

13. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Honestly, I'm ok with some charities being beyond PR. This is one of them.

IRguy, Jon Martin and patfan1 repped this.
  14. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for New England Support in CT, I'm still positive I'm the only one. Fairfield County is just an extension of New York City. Only reason I became a New England fan was because I went to school in the northern corners of CT and most of my friends where for Sox/Pats fans. I just got back from celebrating the Holidays with my family in CT and not only is everyone a Giants/Jets fan, they are vocally anti Patriots.

patfan1 repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we'll keep you!

16. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    1. There is no deadline for charity. The Revs may do something down the road.

2. My understanding is the President of the Dynamo went to Quinnipiac University, and Quinnipiac and CFC have some sort of partnership, but don't quote me on that.

3. I worked in sandy hook for a year right out of college. It might as well be part of New York. The kids from sandy hook were on the field for the Giants game today, I doubt there are that many New England sports fans in that town.

17. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but it doesn't take a geography major to figure out that, when it comes to sports, that area is New York all the way.

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this, a number of Revs players (past and present) are participating in the Newtown event. Given the location, it's not surprising that there are more Revs players than any other team.

19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    TransferTwit says we're pursuing Honduran CB/LB David Molina, aged 24 of Motagua. He's just 5'10", so probably projecting as a MLS LB, but also is a true defender, not a midfield convert. TFC also in the hunt, supposedly.

If true, I like the age and the defensive focus at LB. We have to be realistic that tracking back as a two-way midfielder simply isn't Lee Nguyen's game, and that when that side consists of Tierney-Nguyen, we have major defensive liabilities.

20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of sounding insensitive to Newtown (which I don't really think I am), I'm glad to see some news/rumors related to offseason roster action.

21. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rev's are sending 8 players and one GM to this event

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...egends-line-special-soccer-event-newtown-conn

22. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Now that the holidays are over, I would really like to see them close out a few deals for experienced defenders before the draft. Whether prior rumors are true, or even new players we haven't heard of, they really need to get this team sorted before the draft. Then they can truly begin prep for a very important season. This is really going to be a defining season to find out if they are truly moving forward, being stagnant, or taking a step back. Even more so than any season in a while.

BrianLBI repped this.
  25. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    You're not the only NE fan.
    A fellow youth soccer coach/parent and I talk Revs regularly. So that's at least 3 of us.

My guess about fandom is about 80% NY, 20% Boston here in Fairfield County. I feel I've lived here and worked here long enough (uhm.. erm... carry the 2... 20 + years).

When I worked in Farmington, CT (near Hartford), I'd say it was more like 50-50.

YMMV.

Kevin D.

(We're a town next door to Newtown. A for-real lock-down of the schools is quite frightening - 'specially when you have kids there)