Revs Offseason News, 2012 (Part 1)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it does, In these lotery situations teams have all the information so they can make an informed decision. The fans don't yet they are constantly doing an audit (evaluating) on the real time decisions a team is making. Of course thats how most fans behave. I may be the odd man out but this fan based on years of experience in the real world has learned the hard way that when a decision is being made leave it to the people with the most information---and---if they screw thing up don't compound the problem by starting to make decisions based on inadequate information--just get rid of them and get better people to make the real time decisions.

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    We're in full transition period at GK--Reis is a shadow of his former self and Shuttleworth has shown nothing to prove he's anything but a stop-gap. So there's one thing to worry about. Goalkeeping is so desperate in the league that both the Galaxy and the Union are flirting with acquiring 39-year-olds. This is not old-school MLS with quality goalkeeping guaranteed for all.

The question is: if we don't have goalkeeping in the top half of the league (and we don't), how can we expect to make the playoffs unless we're clearly in the top half of the league in other positions?

Other worries? Wide play and will we play with a #10. Alston can get forward but is a lousy crosser, Tierney is a good crosser but is slow and a lousy defender. Nguyen and Toja are not flank players, but naturally pinched-in. Simms and Cisse are clearly set for double duty in the center of the park.

I think Heaps has got huge problems in terms of personnel if he wants to play a 4-4-2 with Bengtson and Sene up top and Cisse and Simms centrally. It's starts a domino effect of lack-of-quality, or fit.

jw and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, my point is that the audit equation isn't the same. I understand what you're saying, but using an audit doesn't match what you're trying to say.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the areas pointed out by AG, I am concerned about this team's ability to finish and specifically, this group of forwards. Sene scored a bunch of goals last season but I have questions on his fitness and form coming off his injury. Bengtson needs a good partner if he is going to find his form and poach goals in MLS. He looked a shadow of his NT self so that's a concern because I would expect Sene-type numbers from a DP forward now that he has had time to acclimate.

Also, there really wasn't consistent goal scoring from other places, so I hope the team improves both chance creation and its finishing ability, to turn the many close losses in 2012 into draws or wins this season.

5. SethMan31

SethMan31 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Bengston is a proven goalscorer that didn't show it last year. I have faith in him given his record with Honduras and the fact that other teams wanted him. Sene is a bit of an enigma with solid games and invisible games. He could play in the midfield next year. The midfield is stacked with MLS quality. A few defensive players would make this team a contender. I'm not worried about GK. Saunders was shakey as any keeper but the Galaxy won the cup. Reis is servicable enough until some emerges (not Shuttlesworth)

I will share your concern for tactics. I'm not sure if this team will come together and perform as a unit but I think the pieces are there

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    They had Bruce Arena coaching and the best player in the league in Robbie Keane-they won despite Saunders. It's not an applicable lesson for us. We will need above-average goalkeeping to make the playoffs.

RSL played a very narrow diamond without true wing midfielders, but as they established their system they had a younger version of Beckerman at DM to cover in front of the back and a true CAM in Morales. I don't know that Cisse is of the quality to handle the job by himself.

We have a left-footed Nguyen and a left-footed Toja. Toja played centrally for Dallas when he enjoyed his greatest success, he was not stuck out wide. We have the makings of a 4-2-2-2, but our outside backs are not up to the task. If Peri Martinez comes on board, then we would clearly be looking at a 4-2-3-1, meaning either Sene or Bengtson drops to the bench in favor of the Nguyen--Toja--Martinez trio behind the lone frontrunner. Since Sene is still rehabbing, that could mean we see:

-------------Bengtson--------------
    Nguyen-----Toja------(Martinez)----
    ---------Cisse-----Simms----------

Whoever is brought in at RM, they will need to have speed, because otherwise that's a pretty slow front 4.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

..and now (perhaps) we know why Nyassi is still on this team.

8. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a scary thought, and I *like* Nyassi. Hard to imagine him going from a semi-regular starter on a poor team (2011) to essentially not getting on the pitch in 2012, to being in any way a key part of our 2013 plan.

9. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nyassi is frustrating to watch because of the occasional fantastic play, but in 4+ years on the team he still hasn't learned how to shoot, cross or dribble with his head up, all of which keeps him from being a consistent viable MLS starter. His flaws are even more pronounced now, as the quality of play across MLS has dramatically improved since he first entered the league.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's by no means more than a hypothesis that Nyassi would be the speedy right mid in Heaps's plans. However, who else on this current roster has those wheels? Ryan Guy? Rowe? Someone they haven't acquired yet either via draft or SI signing?

My expectation is the revs will prioritize upgrading the back line so we may begin the campaign at right mid with either Rowe, Guy or Nyassi.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Reis may be post-peak, but a shadow of his former self? Hardly.

As for Shuttleworth having shown nothing, how about a GAA < 1.0 in 2012?
    That area of CT is NY through and through. Yes, the Revs could do something (and maybe they have), just like any other team could. But, they wouldn't be seen as a home team or anything like it.

15. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, but we're a lot more "home" than effing Houston.

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gonna have to call BS on this. Might be near NY but no matter how you slice it its still part of New England. I am sure there are tons of Patriot fans there as well as Sox fans , Celtic Fans and Bruins fans, all are considered the home team. Revs are no different. Kudos for Houston, which is not even close to being part or near New England or NY for that matter, to step up and show support.

17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You just love to make excuses for this franchise. CT is a part of New England, the franchise should do something as a gesture of support.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revs will do something; but just like their approach to signing most players, it will happen after the season starts.

Crooked repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole "benefit of the doubt" when it comes to the lottery has now come full circle. I can understand using this logic when it comes to the allocation draft--they actually did the right thing when they passed on some 3rd rate keeper who went to Red Bulls because they knew Toja was coming along. Good for them that they made that move--and I will admit that I criticized them for it without knowing that Toja would soon be available.Obviously they knew and acted on it.

Brah-vo!

But with these lotteries, first of all, the chances are greater that you won't win, even if you have good odds, like we have had in recent times. If you do win, you get a player with potential, but generally not a lot of immediate upside. There is almost no risk, other than the fact that if you win, and the player you get washes out, you aren't eligible for another chance to get a similar player later in the same year. Seems like a no-brainer to enter every lottery you can, in the unlikely even that you get a gem. If you don't win, or if the player doesn't pan out, you haven't given up much of anything. Why wouldn't you enter?

It goes back to the hypothesis that the Revs, for whatever reason, do not use every single available resource at their disposal to make the team better, even low-risk, low-reward options like this. True or not, it is definitely the perception among many.

Is it laziness or cluelessness? Or, there is some secret reason we don't know about, like there being a $50,000 fee to enter the lottery, or you have to pay a princely sum if you cut the player before a full season, or whatever? But as usual, the Revs could explain the reason for not entering (if there is a good reason that we don't know about), but instead, they perpetuate the image that they are a bunch of total morons running the team. I don't think that's the case (well, not total morons, at least!), but they don't help their public image by being so tight-lipped about everything, even the stuff that doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme.

patfan1 and Crooked repped this.
  21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Some posters on this board have already stated that they prefer open roster spots to "projects" since we get a little bit more allocation money for having an empty roster spot or two. I wouldn't be surprised if our FO thinks the same way...

22. LD42

LD42 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Dot
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Did you read the article? It's not like the Dynamo doesn't have any connection to Newtown, their president Chris Cannetti is from CT.
    Sure it would be great if the Revs FO could do something, but if some of you put blame like that, then put it on the Patriots, Celtics, and the Sox too i guess.

23. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Marcus Tracy, San Jose Earthquakes forward, is participating. He grew up and lives in Newtown.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, not sure if you are referring to my post or not, but since this is the second time you have mentioned this, I need to make sure.

I never said I preferred open roster spots (I said they were doomed either way). I was just trying to figure out the Revs rational, especially with their poor history of developing youngsters.

If you weren't referring to the post below, then you can ignore this. ;)

25. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    nsa repped this.