Revs Off Season talk - the quest to rebuild begins!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Oct 29, 2018.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further details, date set for May 15th:

New England Revolution set friendly with Chelsea to fight antisemitism
    March 4, 2019, 5:00PM EST
    Tom Bogert

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea finish the season the 12th I think...

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the Revs 12-26 take on Chelsea reserves

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know why this wasn't scheduled for the summer?

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are playing the Euro final in Azerbaijan?

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Europa League. Champions League is in Madrid.

9. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Bob's legal team suggested that a premium summer date would be best for a friendly with Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao to combat human trafficking.

10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, when Cropper went from first string to third string, I was told it was because Friedel knows so much more about goalkeepers than Heaps did. Yet now Turner is right back to where he was under Heaps...

12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, our goalkeeper situation doesn’t worry me. I’d be ok with any of our three guys in net. They’re none of them game changers, but they’re all decent. When it comes to keeping goals out of the net, our biggest problem is the four guys in front of the keeper, and if we’re relying on the keeper to make up for the D’s mistakes, well, we’re probably doomed already.

13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I actually thought the back 4 played very well on Saturday. The problem was that we had 2 stiffs in CM, a reserve player starting at the 9, and last season's best player looked like a ghost.

rkupp repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Spot on.

Our center backs played quite well, stepping up often to intercept passes and stop attacks. Mancienne got only a token effort by Zahibo to pressure the ball on the first goal.

15. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t disagree about our problems elsewhere on the field. But I found our back 4 lackluster - basically relying on Columbus’s own ineptitude up front, while playing 6 across the back an alarming amount when the wing mids dropped back. Bye and Castillo seemed to have real problems connecting with the guys in front of them. And Mancienne and Delamea were hardly presences.

I think we got away with it because Columbus just isn’t very good (their current league position not withstanding). But a team with a real offense will eat our D up unless they step up their game (or get a lot more help from the middle of the field).

16. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the relatively high activity in this thread recognition that the REVs don’t consider themselves into the season until June/July? Or, are we all recognizing that we’re already, effectively, in the 2019 Offseason?

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    What do you mean the FB had trouble connecting? Every good chance the revs had came through Castillo or Bye combining with the wing playing in front of them. For Bye they were in the 1st half playing balls into space for Bunbury, and for Castillo it was 1-2 with Gil when he drfited to the win.

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad knows he will get the obligatory 5 Year Plan for Da Man. When it all comes to fruition Friedel plans to Party like it's 2022.......:coffee:

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they miss the playoffs this year and next, no doubt in my mind we will see Brad for at least another two years unless he decides to move on. be prepared for more quotes like, We were so close in many games, we just had some bad luck, we have a great core group etc...

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could re-write the same script for the past several years, going back to about 2009, or at least the start of the Heaps era. Maybe Brad will move on to somewhere else, but I don't know how attractive he would be to any MLS team after a few more years of this in Rev-land.

The Krafts simply don't care enough to fire coaches, unless the team is 1999 Metros level of bad, or there is some sort of meltdown/scandal. Being just mediocre enough that it looks like we have a shot at the playoffs (but don't actually make it) is good enough, especially if you can find a couple of examples where you can play the "unlucky" card.