Revs Off Season talk - the quest to rebuild begins!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Oct 29, 2018.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could mean a little, could mean a lot ... he has just 1 assists in his last 19 games played this season. Seems a really low number.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, he fits your "short name on the back of the shirt" theory... ;)

3. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    960 minutes for those 18 appearances too according to transfermarkt - so it's not like he's brought on for 10 minutes a pop and doesn't have enough time to influence the game. However Deportivo is doing pretty well in Liga 2 (4th place) and Gil has played a little over half of all available minutes, playing behind 2 strikers.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have to think La Liga 2 is a step below or comparable to some MLS team. 1 assist in 19 games does not give me that wow factor

TOAzer repped this.
  5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    #230 tsb11, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    He doesnt have the greatest statistical record in terms of goals or assists, but hes played ~7000 minutes between la liga and the EPL (not counting cups or his time in la liga 2). The MLS is nowhere near that level, so hopefully he can show up and be a real needle mover

Whoscored paints the picture of him being a good passer ~90%, that is secure with the ball (low # of times disspossed and few unsuccessful 1st touches). He does not seem to play all that many dagger passes though (only ~1 key pass/game), even with a solid record of completing crosses and connecting on through balls.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree with the positive comments. Gil looks good in tight spaces, and capable of the killer pass. I'm guessing he wasn't first up to take DFK's in Spain, but seems like he would be a candidate for the Revs.

7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
  9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Gil's not coming? He's Spanish, so by default he's technically gifted. That would be nice to watch. But I wonder if he could run hard enough to fit Friedel's energetic playing style.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A blind date between Skill Gil and Brad's New Blackburn.... what could go wrong?

RevsLiverpool and A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Apparently the Revs arent the only team after him, even from MLS. Of the 3 MLS teams that are reported, LAFC would be the most compelling to a foreigner with minimal knowledge of the league (and also most compelling to people that watch it week in and week out)

1084126801327255553 is not a valid tweet id

12. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spanish media also reporting that LAFC and Chicago are interested in Gil.

Of course, both of those teams already have three DPs, and Chicago's reportedly about to sign a Polish right-sided winger:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...fire-sign-polish-winger-przemys-aw-frankowski

...which makes me think that Gil's agent is spreading crap about interest in his client in order to get the Revs to up their offer. For that matter, who knows if the reported interest from Huesca is real, or the report that Gil prefers to stay in Spain. It could all be coming from his agent.

BUSA Bulldog and davidRN repped this.
  13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So....you sayin' that Gil's agent is Guile?.......;)

Mike Marshall repped this.
  14. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I guess, but a lot of the times the transfer fees or purchase options aren't even disclosed. I think this is a pretty weak rationalization for being cheap.

It's because you're incompetent, right? That's my only take on the situation. Not maximizing the cap space (free money) is inexcusable.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Again, I'm referring to use of the salary cap.
    I can see keeping some space available for in-season transactions, but for space to go unused on a regular basis, yeah, I'd agree (although I don't claim to know how often we have significant unused space).

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    #242 tsb11, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Here is an article by Matt Doyle about how much money the league gave teams in 2017. Of the nearly $6M provided by the league the revs spent around $6.4M according to sportrac. In 2018 the league's senior roster limit increased by $200k, and owners were offered the option to use discretionary $2.8M TAM from their own pockets toward acquiring new palayers. Of that $6.2M of league money, sportrac claims the revs spent $8.3M. However, it lists the full $1.3M for Michael Mancienne (despite that # being prorated based on being a mid season signing) and also asserts the revs were on the hook for the full value of Krystian Nemeth's deal, even though SKC bought him midseason. Even lopping off $1M from the top to correctly account for both players actual salary impact as they were only paid for half the season, the revs still spent $1.1M over the league budget in 2018.You could trim some of Machado and Hauché's deals off that by prorating them as well, but lets say that money offsets what they paid Nguyen before he was traded.

Those values make it seems like the krafts actually spent money the last 2 years, but wait! Account for the incoming TAM/GAM acquired from trades (even though those values are not tracked publicly), and the revs actually have a fairly balanced wage sheet (750k from Nguyen and 350k from Nemeth gets the 1.1M difference). I would say they use pretty close to the full value of the money provided by the league, but likely arent digging into their own pockets at all

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the roster graphic showing slot usage. Yes, you have to scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM to find the REVs. Too funny.

19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Another bit of news (gossip?) re: Revs activity Implies they were ready to drop mucho millions on Paul-Jose Mpoku. (Who I do not know.)

https://lessportsplus.dhnet.be/foot...eb17c34?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

dncm repped this.
  20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    American/English language social media accounts just now starting to pick it up.

dncm repped this.
  21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He has a Tottenham background so that would make sense given that he probably crossed paths with Friedel.

22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Friedel signed with Spurs June 3rd 2011; M'Poku transferred out from Spurs July 2011. But Friedel would know all the people who saw M'Poku develop for 3 years.

M'Poku looks like a good player who would be really dangerous here - potentially more dangerous than Penilla.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, at least they are aiming high.

dncm repped this.
  24. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    M’Poku is a pretty similar type of player to Penilla. Preference is to play on the LW and cut inside to score. He is quite versatile, however. Could see him playing centrally as a withdrawn FW or on the right if needed.

dncm repped this.
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, full marks for the attempt. I don't fault them for being rejected on a substantial offer. This is a good thing, as long as they keep looking.

If they stop here, throw up their hands and say, "Oh well, we tried" then the grade drops...

ToMhIlL, TOAzer and dncm repped this.