Revs Off-Season Rumors/News Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Probably not news bur read this on the GOAL site:

New England Revolution star Lee Nguyen has requested to be traded in this offseason, according to MLSSoccer

Lose Lee and I see no reason to watch or attend a Revs game this year. Give him whatever he wants, with performance incentives in his contract. Saying this, I see another JJ situation here and Im going to be upset if we let him walk or trade him for useless cash or draft picks

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in another thread, if they can get a top-level player in a position of need, then trade him. At 31, he is on the downside of his career. But if Trader Mike swings a deal like he did for Kamara, then forget it.

rkupp repped this.
  3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this the last year of Lee's contract? I believe Transfermarkt has it listed as 2018. If that is the case they would be stupid not to trade him or Sell him off

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is not essentially with the idea that Lee might go, it is with what we expect BB&B, the Dimbo Twins, to do as far as replacing Lee goes. We expect, we fear, the same crap as in the past, and this is an utterly too rational fear:

ToMhIlL and Feldspar repped this.
  5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Revs ambition is to help other teams become so good that we will go to a Revs game to the see the other team.

6. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I already kind of do that.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find it at the moment, but I believe I read somewhere that the Revs have an option year for 2019.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We made an offer for a DP and it was rejected.

Rumor is ...

dncm and A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Always take these quotes with a grain of salt, but a $3m transfer is no joke and hopefully an indication of the types of players we're looking to bring in.

10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    #135 dncm, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Thanks for posting Monty.

Agreed - 3M is no joke (it is a long way off from 15 mil for Barco). if it is this player, from Senegal, then he was rumored to being watch by Man United last year - so there may be potential.

But here is where the Revs are at a cross-roads.

If Man United was watching this kid, the kid knows it, he knows possibly other big clubs are watching/tracking - is this the type of player the Revs should be pursuing with a SMALL bid - transfer and salary?

If they really valued - come in big like Atlanta did and fend off top clubs to sign Barco. This kid, or whomever it was, sounds like he is not quite the same class as Barco, so you can can still come in big, make the kid, some HUGE money salary offer, promise the sell-on, etc. Then Man United is tracking a player on the Revs - which is a great organic "marketing" aspect.

If they did not really value, so they are hedging their bets with a smaller salary offer - and this kid is being tracked, and this kid says - better for me to stay in Europe - are they wasting time trying to sign a player that was never going to be interested....unless they at least start with something that entices the player.

In this market, the player has a say where they go. We have beaten this to death - Salary, Coach, other top players, ambition/prestige of club.....and the dreaded player/history rumor mill (that seems to be a curse for the Revs)

In an article - Almiron, Martinez, and now Barco said - the first reason they even picked up the phone from Atlanta was because the coach was Martino.

Just because the Revs like a player, does not mean it will be the other way - unless you can bring something SIGNIFICANT to the table. I will take BB's comment with a grain of salt - the transfer and the player salary are 2 different things. What was the Revs offer for salary. Otherwise, what else from the things listed above as things a players wants - can the Revs offer??

Clearly Friedel and the Revs are way way behind in that department. Friedel has identified some players that seem to be "unknowns" - so his scouting ability will immediately be comparable to what Heaps was.

And it is okay to track and try and sign these guys, and it falls through. Just hope they are learning WHY players do not sign - or they change how/what they offer to get the guys they really want.

Guess we will see.

A Casual Fan and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Bilello @RevsPrez

Deilna is currently a DP. Had a $3M transfer offer rejected on a young DP in Dec, may have a DP/TAM player to announce in next 2 weeks pending medical.
    interesting comment.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta/Martino are an aberration - he is a legend in Paraguay for what he did with their national team. That's a pretty unique situation for MLS. Good for Atlanta for leveraging that, but no other team has that kind of opportunity.

I follow Paraguay's NT and I was suggesting Paraguay as a source for players 10+ years ago, but that cat's out of the bag now.

---

As for the 3M bid, sounds to me like his agent used the Revs/MLS to bid up offers in Europe (if what they were saying about him really wanting to play in Europe is true - and why wouldn't it be?). But, whatever, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

At least it shows that they are looking to splash some cash for a big signing.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just finished listening to the Far Post Podcast for the first time........And last. 110 minute podcast with 10 minutes worth of substance

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    In addition to this, he's tweeted some other info this week. This is a particularly expansive/forthcoming/communicative period for Brian, relative to his normal comfort zone. Makes me wonder what inspired or compelled him.

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Mostly silliness. But I like the silliness. I just don't like when they get sycophantic with regard to their bosses.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VTSoccerFan and dncm repped this.
  17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was this too: Friedel expecting to finalize some signings “pretty soon.”
    This plus the tweet from BB makes me hope that before camp opens they will have announced at least 1 signing, possibly a DP

18. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, the Revs have apparently signed someone.

dncm repped this.
  19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Pure coincidence, I suspect.

TOAzer, dncm and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Add this note to the mix....

RevsLiverpool and dncm repped this.
  21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    This is good news.

Friedel says a player FANS and PLAYERS will be very happy to see involved.

That is big news once we see the name. The fact he mentions both fans and players implies this is a stud - a leader, someone with a resume and the chops to back it up.

Looking forward to the announcement.

22. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We've got our #9!

dncm repped this.
  23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001