Revs Current Roster - A work in progress

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do we know? We just like to complain and echo each others comments after all. Nope, no facts used here or anything.

2. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. We should hold out for a case of warm beer.

3. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was never all that sold on Schilawski while he was at Wake. He never really stood out the way Marcus Tracy or Cody Arnoux did while playing the same position. Those two I thought would have solid MLS careers (their attempts to go to Europe seemed a bit overambitious), but Schilawski going in the first round shocked me. He didn't seem especially quick in the ACC (Tracy dusted everyone, constantly), he doesn't have size, and he never really seemed to have a nose for goal (unlike Arnoux who was slow and average sized but found a way to score about a goal a game).

Tracy has been constantly injured for 3 years, so it's tough to say what he is, but if Arnoux isn't an MLS level player, it makes sense to me that Schilawski hasn't shown much.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well said. I really think there's some truth to 'if you have it you have it' in strikers, even young ones, in terms of instinctively finding the back of the net. Schil would probably have a nice career in Rochester or with the Carolina Railhawks but he shouldn't be at the top tier of pro soccer in this country.

5. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the key is he only makes about 60K/yr.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not playing, and when he does play, he isn't scoring. This team needs a talent infusion, and it needs to get rid of the guys that aren't helping ... no matter their salaries.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought all but one of his finishes where pretty clinical. Nothing highlight reel, but good enough to make you think he had real goal scoring ability not simple tap ins.

From what i remember he had very few chances last year and did pretty well with the ones he had. Most MLS strikers have a pretty low chance/goal rate conversion rate, I'd be shocked if any where above 50%. So i thought he did pretty well given the small sample size.

I agree here, last year he looked like a goal scorer who needs to improve on some finer points in his game. This year he as improved on some of those points, but does not look like much of a goal scorer, in fact, i think he as played better on the wing then as a striker.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think his future, in MLS or the next level down, is as a winger.
    Of course, Nicol (and I guess most coaches) like players who can play multiple positions well. I see him as a useful roster player in MLS.

10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not!

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Doc meant Schilawski would be a really impressive real estate agent, well known on MLS. He went to Wake Forest so I'm sure he's a smart kid, but not much of a professional soccer player. 'MLS' Semantics.

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are tough:rolleyes:
    I disagree with your assessment of his worth. Every team needs depth on their roster. You may not think he's starter material but he sure fits my description of a #18-24 roster slot player.
    I guess we'll need to wait and see how his career unfolds.
    My instincts say he will look a lot better is he's on the field with a better level of talent. IMO. the way this roster has performed (not) as a unit this year it's been hard to evaluate the potential of a number of the players.

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the first problem is that he has been an #8-14 player on this roster. That is not his fault but rather the fault of BBN. However, I think that on these boards we routinely inflate our opinions of players simply because, on this team they are starter or near starter material. Shil is a case in point.

Certainly, if he were surrounded by 9 other very good field players, to the point that teams were focusing their defense on those other 9, Shil would certainly look better. He has some skills. Yet he just doesn't have enough skills. As a forward, he is to short losing the head ball fight. He has not shown enough skill to trap and turn on MLS defenders. He can't dribble at defenders fast enough to be a threat and I don't see him setting up team mates with visionary passes. Out on the wing I don't see the recovery speed to help Revolution defences nor the speed to get by a defender and put in a good cross. If Shil gets an open look on frame, I think he will mostly shoot on frame and place it (not at the keeper). That just won't happen very often.

I'd be happier if he truly were an #18 to 24 player on the roster. If that is the case, he should be left unprotected because, even if selected by Montreal, he should be easily replaceable at the same or lower salary. We should strive to first make the roster strong enough that he is 18-24 and then beef up the 18-24 spots so that he falls off the cliff. He is not MLS, post 2007-ish, material.

14. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote of the century(out of todays Globe):
    "Between now and whenever, we're going to bring guys in," Nicol said

(I know what he meant by it, but the ambiguous nature of the quote makes it sounds like another "We're looking for the right guy.")

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Speaking as a Schilawski apologist, this is completely fair.

Every once in a while, Nicol seems to hint that he would like to be saying a whole lot more.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic!!!

17. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between now and whenever, I will decide to renew my season tickets or not.

18. mathteamcoach

mathteamcoach Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Sep 24, 2010
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, I'm deciding sometime between now and September 30th. I am not spending any extra $$$ beyond the September discount.

19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what I told my sales rep...... :mad:

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with Brad, Jay, Nicol and even Shalrie. They keep insisting the Revs "aren't playing that badly" - yet Feldman just said "most of the highlights are Chicago's".

This is contradictory - if your team isn't playing "that badly" wouldn't it provide some highlights? 10 shots ok - otherwise it's all Chicago.

The Revs are playing without passion and are making stupid mistakes that have led to 3 goals.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that guys like Schill who are at the 18-24 level in talent are pushed up to where they are starting a lot of games or playing significant minutes. Because the top half of our roster is so weak, these guys are moving up because there is no one else better.

If there ever was an indictment on the abysmal job Nicol and Burns have done bringing in players, this would be it. But yeah, we'll have lots of cap space to spend on dubious players and high draft picks so we can get more garden variety college players who are big on hustle and hard work, but short on skill and soccer brains. We are the Atlanta Ruckus, circa 1995.

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

IMO, over the past few years the Revs have brought in players with good credentials ON PAPER---but--they were either unable to fit in or their bodies were past their "Use By Date".

This year Revs rate a "C" for efforts in finding and signing talent but at best a D minus for execution in that what they signed were either failures or not signed in time to have an impact on the season. I don't give them a "F" because I give them some credit for signing Sores, Guy, Coria, Benny, Caraglio and Zerka.

We have argued back and forth about --the WHO--is responsible for these poor or untimely signings but no one is arguing the WHAT: namely they did a terrible job in putting the current roster together.

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any public school teachers on the boards? Don't students who get routinely below average grades get put on some sort of Education Improvement Plan which, in theory, gets them lot's of help?

Any way you slice it, they aren't left to just keep getting D- grades indefinitely, right?

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expand the scope beyond education (any level) to anyone who has to face ANY type of accountability in their occupation, whatever it may be. Hell, even if there's no accountability there's still pride.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was Stoneham's own Nancy Kerrigan skating in the pairs competition with Lucifer himself, doing a triple sow-cow and a double-yutz, which will surely impress the judges (except the East German judge).

Yes, folks, Hell has indeed frozen over.