Revs Current Roster - A work in progress

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that's right. We're back to the open roster spots and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy under the cap years. YAY us!

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't there a fine for having less than 27 players on the active roster?

3. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked on the roster rules on the MLS site and didn't see anything but do remember hearing something like that...

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster Rules
    So if I'm reading this right, we get $70k for the two spots we're allowed to have ... and the remaining slots are just being completely wasted. Way to go Revs!

5. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so the question is do we have 18 senior spots filled... if not then it would appear we are being fined

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    something to think about, if Perovic and Stoli were let go to make room under the cap and free up roster spots. only one player was signed and that player is said to be well below the DP level. Burns pretty much cut Perovic for nothing......Say all you want about Burns saying he asked to be let go but NO PLAYER with a torn ACL is going to be asked to be let go from his contract with little or no chance of playing until next summer. He was let go, plain an simple.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually worse than that.

We've cut Perovic ($180k base salary), Stoli ($216k), Dabo ($200k), Domi ($150k) and Augustine ($42k) since the start of the season.

Based off the numbers we had available for cap space after last year, we actually didn't use all the cap space that had come available after 2010 in the first place.

So even if you take half of those salaries above (pro-rated amount available for the remainder of this season) you get $394k. Lekic and Caraglio don't cover that amount, when their pro-rated amounts are put in.

The Revs have about half a mil of cap space that they just rewarded all of the other MLS teams with.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the whip cream on top is 70k in allocation money for having two spots open

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember, we shouldn't harp on the open roster spots because it upsets people. Who cares if the team isn't doing all that it possibly can to win after all?

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are not yet in panic mode, still time to turn the season around. Just waiting on a few guys to develope and for the 4-3-3 system to sink in. In Nicol we trust

11. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    Monty, I think it has been a while since people on this board have been saying management has things under control. The Revs organization has now had last winter and this summer to bring in new players with a fairly open (by MLS standards) amount of money. They have failed miserably. They truly su*&.

I am still rooting for the Revs as much as ever and I'll always like Steve Nicol, but there is no defense anymore for what is happening.

12. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly you don't understand the complications of Revs salaries. Burns assured us before the season started that they are not wasting cap space.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :mad:

13. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it appears we have a lot of cap space going unused.

But with Perovic, I think the explanation was he asked for a significant raise, and the team declined. It is sort of odd for a player coming off ACL surgery to ask for a big raise, so if that's what happened then it wasn't necessarily a mistake to let him go.

I'm not defending FO's performance with the available cap space -- just saying that the Perovic departure might actually make sense from a management point of view -- course you then have to go out and use the money you decided not to pay him. . .

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between leaving a Dev Roster spot open (another Otto Loewy is not going to save our season) and a Senior Roster spot open.

The problem is, there is no reliable way of telling which players are on the Dev Roster.

Based on who they have let go since July 1st (Domi, Dabo), and who they have brought in (Caraglio), it is safe to assume they have at least one Senior Roster spot open.

Not filling it by the close of the transfer window is bad.

Not filling it by the September roster freeze is unforgivable.

The other sad thing is, they have at least 10 players* that are Dev Roster eligible (based on salary and age), so they either have multiple Senior Roster spots open, or some of these players are on the Senior Roster.

* = Ryan Guy status/salary still unknown

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to assume the following players fit the senior roster ... feel free to correct if I'm wrong. I don't believe we have any more GA players, so that makes it easier.
    That would be the 18 as far as I can tell, leaving two spots open? Not really sure about Shuttleworth or where Coria or Boggs would fall.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere (can't find it at the moment) that both Soares and McCarthy signed on with GA at the last minute before the SuperDraft.

EDIT: Here is one link saying Soares is GA, however it must be an error, because he was a senior, and I think only underclassmen can sign with GA.

My guess is both Soares and McCarthy signed MLS contracts before the SuperDraft, and some writers assumed that meant GA.

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote this thread be "unstuck" since, clearly, the Rev roster is decidedly not a work in progress

18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Revs roster demonstrates rampant fiscal irresponsibility, consistently poor results, fools for decision makers and pro is the opposite of con, perhaps it's a work in congress instead?

20. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs Publica :(

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the twits.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough break for the kid,,,,,wish him a speedy recovery, see ya next year at camp

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCarthy is a keeper.
    He's young. He's demonstrated an ability to score, and size is important in MLS.
    On the other hand, Phelan?

I would hope the Zerka signing brought a close to the Zak Boggs era.
    Dube will be in the USL next year.
    Schilawski, also.

A legitimate left-back is imperative.
    Move Barnes to the center, and bye-bye Cochrane.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree except re Schilawski who I think is a reasonable 4th striker who can also play on the wing. We need depth

25. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree with George re: schilawski, and would add that I was intrigued by Dube playing CM in the reserve game, and would give him a chance to hang on in that position if he does well. That is also a position where we need depth.