Revs Current Roster - A work in progress

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red machine

red machine New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Cape Cod
    A modest suggestion. Being an x-NY Giant fan, I remember times in the 80's when our team truly was miserable with no support from the ownership. We began to wear paper bags over our heads as a protest to the owners, not the players on the field. I believe that that action, plus a really terrible season lead to a change in GM with a lot of power and the team turned around. I feel like it is time for the paper bags to appear at our home games. Thoughts?

2. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was something in the Globe this morning saying that he is expected to retire this week.

3. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And in related news: Man hits on woman in bar, fails to get her phone number.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another one of those Nicol fish stories about the one that got away

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we've got a DP lined up. Oh, you want to know who...um well, he's tall and fast and a great finisher. We met a summer camp last year, but he's from Canada so there's no way you would know him. Sure, I can make sure he comes around for a party or something. No, he's definitely not made up.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Mike Glass?

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    French Connection released/retired

Twenty-five players now under contract, 23 active:

Goalkeepers (3): Tim Murray, Matt Reis, Bobby Shuttleworth

Defenders (6): Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Ryan Cochrane, Franco Coria, A.J. Soares, Otto Loewy

Midfielders (11): Shalrie Joseph, Ryan Kinne, Kenny Mansally, Stephen McCarthy, Sainey Nyassi, Andrew Sousa, Pat Phelan, Chris Tierney, Benny Feilhaber, Diego Fagundez, Ryan Guy

Forwards (5): Zak Boggs, Kheli Dube, Alan Koger, Zack Schilawski, Rajko Lekic

In-active list: Fagundez
    On Loan: Murray

International slots(3 of 8): Coria, Nyassi, Lekic (Fagundez in-active)

Green Cards: Mansally, Dube, Loewy

Will the last player out the door please shut off the lights on your way out?

8. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who besides Joseph is a free agent after this season?

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcia Marcia Marcia..!!!

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twenty-five players now under contract, 23 active:

Goalkeepers (3): Tim Murray, Matt Reis, Bobby Shuttleworth

Defenders (6): Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Ryan Cochrane, Franco Coria, A.J. Soares, Otto Loewy

Midfielders (11): Shalrie Joseph, Ryan Kinne, Kenny Mansally, Stephen McCarthy, Sainey Nyassi, Andrew Sousa, Pat Phelan, Chris Tierney, Benny Feilhaber, Diego Fagundez, Ryan Guy

Forwards (5): Zak Boggs, Kheli Dube, Alan Koger, Zack Schilawski, Rajko Lekic

In-active list: Fagundez
    On Loan: Murray

International slots(3 of 8): Coria, Nyassi, Lekic (Fagundez in-active)

Green Cards: Mansally, Dube, Loewy

Fangundez supposedly has traveled with the team for tonights game and will be on the bench. Can we assume from this he has been activated and is taking an international spot?

11. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering the same thing. I thought the inactive list move earlier this year was for the entire season.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, he could be activated at any time as long as the roster (and international) slot was available. Apparently that is what has happened.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From twitter:

14. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give credit where it's due, this probably happens a lot when trying to sign any player to any club. We have been screaming for more transparency out of Revs FO, especially in terms of roster building. Now that we hear about all these near misses that we normally wouldn't hear about, we're complain that they can't close deals.

I'd rather know who the player was they were targeting, but that kind of information is too sensitive to give out.

15. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    About a week into the transfer window and beyond the Waigo rumors and that Nicol story, things are still completely quiet. No signings, no trades when seemingly every other team in MLS is in a flurry of activity.

On top of all the other justifiable reasons to jettison the FO/coaching staff, is promising a DP in October 2010 and not delivering one the entire 2011 season a big enough one?

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also promised more attacking help.....guess than came by way of draft and McCarthy!

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of folks aren't happy with Lekic, but in fairness, at the time a lot of us (me included) were happy with the acquisition. I can't fault the FO on that, since he was niether old, injured or totally unknown. He should be doing better for us, but I would be a lot more upset if they brought in some college kid or some 18 year old African for the role.

18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There's nothing wrong with making mistakes, it's expected that a good portion of player signings end up being failures. I still do love the Lekic signing, he's been a major disappointment, but at least they tried to sign a quality player.

18 year old Africans with only semi-professional experience and 34 year old European rejects are not the answer. I, as well as many of the people on these boards, called the Augustine, Dabo, and Domi signings mistakes from day one. I still don't understand what was so hard to see there.

I'd take a million more Perovics, Castros, Badillas, Lekics, etc. before another Jankauskas, Dabo, or Domi.

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually refering to off season quotes for offensive need and the fact that they signed 2 defenders and a dmid. Lekic was an in season signing. I too was excited about his signing

20. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    And don't forget Coria. He may not pan out, but that seems to be the way the successful teams in the league are going: young-ish Latin American talent. Dallas, RSL, Seattle and LA to some extent are all looking South. It seems like the teams spinning wheels (NE, Toronto, Vancouver) are still dialed into the older Europeans. Coria was low-risk, high-reward. Lets keep making THOSE mistakes instead of ones like Dabo and Domi that are higher-risk, lower-reward.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Vancouver isn't dialed into older Europeans at all. If anything, I think they'll be better than us next year, they're just having a tough year as an expansion team. Chiumiento, Hassli, Camilo, and Jarju seem like a decent attacking foundation.

22. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a discussion of the Timbers on another site, I counted the number of South American players on each roster. At the time (about a month ago), the top six clubs in MLS as ranked in points per game were the six clubs that had four or more South American players. It didn't matter if they were good or key players (or even playing as Leonardo counted for the Galaxy), but having four or more for some reason puts you in the top six.

23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it demonstrates a whole-organizational difference in approach between the haves and the Revs

24. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    If it doesn't matter if they're good or key players I'm tempted to call it a coincidence.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, there's plenty of time to still add players to this roster. I mean, the season doesn't start till next March! Or something.

Remember, the team knows they need talent. Nicol hows all. Bob Kraft is a savvy businessman.