Revs - Crew Game 3- Pre match

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bill Duggan, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    With TT officially out the question is, Chacon or Fuller? For my money, since Wolde comes back for the ball pretty well, we should play APC. The downside is 1.) he doesn't defend like Twellman and 2.) with Wolde being the sole target now, we lose his defending as well. This puts further pressure on our already understaffed backline and makes Hernandez even more indespensible in the midfield. He is the only player, besides Kante, who can slow the game down and he is far less of a risk from his position in midfield.

So we are up against it and, I hate to say, fairly likely to lose, not because our players won't give it every ounce of effort but because we are stretched in terms of matchups.

At this point I think the team has gone about as far as it can go, which is pretty damn far. I see the Rev, with a full roster, as third or fourth in MLS and that is a great, great improvement on what we were last year or at mid season. If Columbus could cross we would be out by now but they can't and the question is, can we take advantage of it? Again, with a full squad I think we could, with things as they are, I'm not so certain.

But regardless of the result tomorrow (and I hope and pray for a W) we now have morphed from an old team with an OK offense and a horrible defense and attitude to a young team with an OK offense (most of the time) a terrific defense and great attitude. Those accomplishents are all worth saluting, cheering and singing to at the end of the game.

For all the pissing and moaning that many of us have indulged in this year and in many previous years, the fact is the Rev have given us a great deal of pleasure in the past two months and reason to hope for the future. Certainly, I would love to see some changes, including a significant improvement in the way the stadium is run for Revs events but I also have to acknowledge that the team seems to be on a terrific course for next year. I just want to take this opportunity to thank all the die hard Rev supporters that make my internet trolls interesting and fun and to salute the team and wish them the best for tomorrow.

GO REVS!

JIM DOW

2. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    As I posted before the last Mutt match and the third fire playoff game:
    WIN, LOSE or DRAW the season has beeen a success and our lads are deserving of cudo's for their grit and leaving it all on the pitch.

---NOW---Lets beat the crap out of the Crew tomorrow.

With TnT out and need only a tie in a driving rain storm I see a single forward and a packed midfield

Brown
    Rusty, Llamosa, Kante, Franchino
    Cullen and Kamler
    Ralston--Hernandez--- Cloutier
    Harris

Rooney, Griffith and APC as subs as necessary

Goal of the 4-5-1 is to negate the Crew speed, clog up the middle, limit there ability to move the ball up the wings and hit them on counters. They must play all out to win. We want to win but can be more conservative since we have three bites at the apple ie win, tie and mini game to secure our advance while they MUST win.

I sure like the Revs chances tomorrow but then this is soccer and any thing can happen.

BTW, don't forget to wear layers tomorrow--could be a hypothermia risk day

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Foosinho, man, check the tape or I'll sic Red Foley on you. Dunseth is a worse punk than Heaps by far.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far too warm to be compared with MLS Cup '96. ;)

And the wind speed is much too low.

And the monsoon rains haven't been dumping on us for two days prior to the game.

Oh, and for those talking about the game, not the weather:
    Let's keep it above .500. :)

Viva Revolution!!!

5. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to let everyone know...on Friday night's 11 PM newscast on Channel 7, they mentioned the Patriots game on Sunday and said before the "Patriots take the field there's another match at Gillette Stadium. The Revs take on the Crew in game 3 of the semifinals at 4 PM. " (paraphrasing)

Then mentioned the lineup for Sports Xtra w/ Gene Lavanchy on Sunday night (11:30 PM)..."Rev"ing it Up topped the list! Let's hope it stays that way.

Time to head to Gillette...