Revs @ Chicago Fire 4/15 5pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BERich, Apr 13, 2017.

1. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody started a thread for this weeks game, so I checked to see what Chicago's group was doing. Here's the thread's title from their forum:

The Dollar Bill Wirtz Memorial Battle of Terrible Owners

They like their owner as much as we do:D

xtomx, Doublecard, GHjelm and 1 other person repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury report: none for the Revs
    Shitcago
    OUT: M - John Goossens (right ankle surgery 3/4, out 5-6 months) - READ
    QUESTIONABLE: M - Matt Polster (right knee strain)
    QUESTIONABLE: F - Luis Solignac (left knee injury)

3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good test for two teams on the rise. I think the edge has to go to Chicago, seeing as they're at home. Still, I'm looking forward to it, which is more than I've been able to say for a Chicago game in a while.

4. davidRN

davidRN Member

Oct 19, 2012
    N Central Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any suggestions on a bar in Augusta,Maine to watch Chicago or San Jose? They all seem to respond the same when called, "we don't have Comcast". Please help a fan out if possible.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago is dominating this game, 72% possession. There is no ebb and flow to the game. They've already had a goal waved off for offside and now Watson is off for an idiotic second yellow on a rash challenge.

Revs down to 10 men in the 28th minute.

Rowe has shifted to left back now. This game is going to be uggggly.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's available in Augusta Maine. Google the bar's zip code and put it in to the link I provided. They probably just don't want to play it or misunderstood what you were asking for. Make it clear it's CSN NE - same channel as the Celtics. In fact you could ask if they show Celtics games? If they do, there's your answer.

I recommend going in person and asking a manager specifically for either channel 24 or 779 in HD.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing Chicago sucks - or this game would be a beatdown

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally, Chicago breaks through.

1 0 Schweinsteiger slots it home after revs mids fell asleep. Bound to happen the way Chicago was dominating possession.

Garbage defending on that - Rowe takes a terrible position from behind the attacker and misses. Then Delamea doesn't close him down fast enough. Can't let them run into space like that, just too easy. Sigh

9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I have no idea why Watson is even on this team. He's a foul waiting to happen and managed to get thrown out in minute 27. Maybe Heaps will cut him at half time lol. We have better choices and I have no idea why Heaps ever calls his number? How low has Tierney sunk????

Big hill to climb now to even get a point

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, starting Watson is a headscratcher. Tierney doesn't offer much but he wouldn't make a rash challenge like that. Why not stick with what worked last week?

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 RevsLiverpool, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    2 0 Chicago

This game's over. Brad and Paul have had the excuse lined up since the red.

Outta here.Have a great Easter to those who celebrate.

12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Two words to answer Jay Heaps

Heaps is always mucking with something

pwykes repped this.
  13. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn't be on the team come Monday. That was flat out unacceptable.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked Jeff Lemieux via Twitter if he could ask Heaps why he changed the back line. Genuinely curious.

dncm repped this.
  15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #15 Cannons, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    if he was the coach anywhere else, he'd be long gone

heaps would say ..."with 3 games in a week I thought it wise to spread the minutes around some" of course that doesnt address why Tierney is in the doghouse or why Rowe or somebody else didnt start back there.

16. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this say about Donnie Smith. Why is he not playing if Tierney isn't cutting it any more?

a517dogg, RevsLiverpool and BrianLBI repped this.
  17. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the first yellow on Watson was bogus. Second richly deserved.

teskicks repped this.
  18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I am tired of the Heaps era, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to start Watson there. Watson was pretty solid last year, and could have helped against Chicago's front line if the red haze hadn't descended. It's hard to understand what the hell Je-Vaughn was thinking.

Don't get me wrong. Jay needs to go. But this wasn't a Jay misstep so much as a player getting a serious case of the stupids.

dncm, a517dogg and teskicks repped this.
  19. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Chicago had 3 ball-winning center-mids who could also pass the ball effectively. We had 1 and Kouassi was overmatched. If Koffie was still on the team, this would have been a fantastic game to watch. For all of Chicago's dysfunction, they are now constructed to dominate games.

RevsLiverpool and dncm repped this.
  21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The red card hurt for sure, but Chicago is a different team - they are feeling the Jones effect with Bastian. A Leader - add in another leaders like McCarty - and that team has an identity, and mental toughness. Those 2 guys never will give up and that rubs off on everyone.

We still do not have a real leader, a stud - we have a bunch of good guys.

Because we do not have any real reporters that seem to care or ask questions about the Revs, we do not know why Fagundez did not start. Exhaustion, knock, squad rotation or Heaps trying to create a better match up? That would give us an idea how competent our coach really is.

Or did Rowe have a conversation to Heaps where he told Heaps his career goals are not play left back and be the utility guy?

In addition - Heaps then subbed out Lee, Agudelo, and Kei - C'Mon, where are the reporters, where is Matt Doyle, where are people really looking at this team and asking questions?

Those are supposed to be our top 3 players - and they are subbed out. Players exhausted, Heaps sending a message or Heaps giving up on the game. Either way, reporters should be saying, "WTF Heaps??" The score was only 2-0 (granted down a man).

Regardless - either Tierney is carrying a knock or Heaps is not happy/trying to phase him out/trying to send a message.

I like Delamea, but he cannot do it all.
    I like Koussai, I like that he is healthy and playing full games, but he is not a Jones-type Leader role. (Feldman tried to compare Koussai to Kante from Chelsea in one of the worst, over the top comparison I have ever heard - SiriusXM CounterAttack show)
    I like Smith, and he just needs time, continued confidence (which a real leader on the field would help create - remember it was Jones helped "fix" Soares game), and continued, solid coaching.
    I am okay with Cropper - I know I am in the minority, but I am just not there yet with him...

In contrast to Bastian and Dax, this team has zero mental toughness - the second things don't go well, they crumble.

With No Leader - and Heaps' "committee" approach on everything does not bode well for this team long term this season.

RevsLiverpool, REV IT UP and BERich repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Per my post - did you ever get a response?

23. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was the defender most culpable on all three goals. Bad day at the office for him.

IMO, Kouassi's got the same problem as too much of this team - limited passing range. He can disrupt, but he can't QB. The back line doesn't do much more than thud the ball around. The forwards and wings too often undo attacks with heavy touches or attempts to squeeze a ball between multiple defenders. Caldwell often seems like the only guy on the team who understands how to move the ball around in an effective manner.

RevsLiverpool and dncm repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No response though I read somewhere in a post game interview Heaps said he wanted Watson at left back and Rowe in the midfield to strengthen it.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, agree on all points. However, I wanted to highlight your point on Caldwell as he definitely has one go the best "soccer brains" on the team, though he is severely underused by Heaps. He could play further upfield in an orchestrating role similar to what he did at Akron. His passing is normally on point but he has the capability to make the incisive ball forward though rarely does, which I think is part of what he's been instructed to do.

teskicks and MM66 repped this.