Revs @ Cbus 9/25

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Sep 21, 2016.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Does anyone have a screenshot when they listed the starting lineups and the Revs had no 7th sub....so it said no 7th sub available. Too sad.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. With any luck they will show that on the game highlights since they usually show the lineups at the beginning. Someone then needs to screen cap it and post on Twitter (broader audience than here). The FO needs to be embarrassed.

3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yer know, discussion of the NT team when it concerns Revs players concerns Revs players. It's an astonishing fact, but there it is.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it would be absolutely terrible if we had a grass field and a stadium where our average attendance would make it 90% full and where we would be the primary tenant and anyone else renting the place would have to work around our schedule! If that were us, I don't know if I could live with myself!
    We were playing the same role that the Montreal Impact played last week.

Funny how the narrative was that somehow we were for real, we were on a 3-game win streak, Heaps had found the right combination (after 3 months of not trying), blah blah, blah. The truth is, this was the same old Revs, regressing back to the norm. Sure, we beat Colorado who were undermanned. In the New York game, we definitely were the better team on the night, credit for that. But then we went right back to our old tricks in chapters 4, 5, and 6 with the Open Cup stinkeroo vs. Dallas. And Montreal laid down and died for us, worse than our performance in Columbus.

This team is going nowhere. How are we going to win (or even draw) a playoff game against a half-decent team if we can't even be better than a USL side in Columbus?

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Suppose he didn't call that PK. So Jay, we played like crap and lost only 1-0. y'happy now? I guess if your boss is and decides a 1-0 loss is "good enough" to let you keep your job, while a 2-0 loss is not, I don't know what to say, other than you and Burns both should be fired no matter what.

RevsLiverpool and BERich repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were thoroughly outmatched last night. For a few minutes, we did look like we belonged on the field, but other than that, the vast majority, the Crew ran circles around us.

National announcers calling out this team for having no urgency. Won't make any difference, since I doubt the Krafts were watching anyway.

It was astoundingly easy for the Crew to get the ball into their final third. There were 20 of us in Nashua at the viewing, and we counted 5/6 times where it took one pass from their keeper to the defender, to a wide open midfielder at the center circle, and one more pass and they were in the box. 3 passes is all it took over and over again.

Then again, Heaps has made two finals in the last three years, so we should probably give him a contract extension.

8. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

mrt/MLS, BERich, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And FOUR empty roster spots. In this case a warm body better than Tony Farias III would have saved them some embarrassment.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as long as the seats are comfortable for tall folk and the home team wins more often then not, I don't care about the rest :D

11. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the thinking was that despite playing like crap, at 0-1 we might have stolen a point. It didn't appear likely, but stranger things have happened.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But hey, you can only play 14, so those other roster spots don't really matter like they do in other sports.... :rolleyes:

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "At the end of the day, Gillette Stadium is a great place for soccer. There's plenty of leg room and we've got cupholders, not to mention some weird-shape thing that looks like it could hold a late-90s style flip phone."

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 RevsLiverpool, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    That weird shape is for what we call "pens" or "pencils."

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you're being sarcastic but is McCrary on the team anymore? How bad do you have to be to not even make the gameday travel squad with so many injuries? Even Smith made it and Neumann started. I don't get what's going on with him.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really wish you were running the show doc - seriously, I trust your judgment more than the BB&H braintrust

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCrary is on the injury report. But yeah, I was looking through the box scores last week, and he has never once made the 18 this season. Even Matt Turner made the 18 once. Something must be up.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Audi Player Index - Columbus 2:0 New England
    Sep 25, 2016

Columbus: 5,954
    New England: 3,171

Brad Knighton: 723
    Kei Kamara: 588
    Diego Fagundez: 315
    Darrius Barnes: 265
    Teal Bunbury: 230
    Lee Nguyen: 214
    Steve Neumann: 177
    Andrew Farrell: 175
    Juan Agudelo: 137
    Chris Tierney: 132
    Scott Caldwell: 115
    Daigo Kobayashi: 94
    London Woodberry: 9
    Femi Holinger-Janzen: -3

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No, the narrative wasn't so wrong. We were missing 4 pretty important players that were key to that narrative.

Yes, we sucked in this game - mentally and physically. But, at this point in the season, with basically no playing time, starting Barnes is just asking for problems - and he delivered.

We had to start a patchwork lineup and it didn't seem like Heaps was able to do that while maintaining some belief among the players. They played like they didn't believe they could win IMO.

20. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the most disappointing performance of the year for me. After seeing how they played the last three games I was expecting at least a little "urgency". Totally agree with Lalas and Freedel. The Revs looked like a team who had already clinched trying to get through the game without any injuries. Totally pathetic. The only good performance I saw was Knighton.

All the talk about the bogus PK but it really didn't matter. This game was lost long before that.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if we had depth, any depth at all, maybe we wouldn't have needed to start Neumann and Barnes. We disagree on the whole empty roster spot issue, but if we picked up a guy like Jack McInerny (just to use him as an example of a "serviceable" MLS player who has been traded a few times and would have been available to us), and 3 other guys like him at other positions, that would have pushed the Neumans, Barnses, and Donnie Smiths down to the bottom of the (now filled) roster. We would have started those guys instead of the guys at the bottom of the roster.

I mean who could possibly imagine that, late in the season, we might have key players injured or suspended where they couldn't play? I can't possibly picture a situation where that might happen! No other team has ever had it happen to them, and that's why no one else carries a full roster or has a reserve team where young players can get regular game minutes every week....

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fact is I did run a show bigger the the Revs for awhile :)

I'm just as pissed off as the rest of us at what seems like gross mismanagement. I've wanted Burns scalp for years.

The one thing that keeps me from being as vocal as the rest here are about the Krafts et al is I think there is a lot of behind the scene stuff of which we are unaware. Yes, we have a lot of data point but for me something is missing when people draw the conclusion from these data points that the Krafts don't care and content to leave Burns in place despite his horrific track record in his primary role of finding and signing players. Unfortunately the KGB couldn't get more info about this franchise than we're getting. Thats really tragic because a good part of being a fan is being made aware of the ins and outs about all things having to do with your team. We are getting NOTHING.

Yea, I'm mega pissed

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard for me to fault the guys on the field when Burns hasn't been able to find and sign adequate first team MLS quality players to provide proper depth and the coach doesn't seem to have the skill to get the required extra gear out of what he has available. This has been true all season long--not just yesterday. Grade for 2016: Burns--Fail ,
    Heaps Fail

TheLostUniversity and BERich repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he was questionable on the report but I couldn't figure out why he wasn't even on the bench. You can be questionable and take up a spot on the bench all game - spare the team embarrasment. Also, where was Rowe? Something about getting ill midweek? Talk about bad timing, getting sick when he's finally playing well. He wasn't on the injury report either and apparently didn't travel with the team.

25. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Some things painful to ponder:
    • How did the team collectively pull its give-a-s#&t muscle? That was a conspicuously weak effort.
    • What has happened to Lee Nguyen? He played absolutely no defense, and his passing was crap.
    • I have added Bunbury and Neumann to my list of players to waive at the end of the year. I wish I could waive Chris Penso.
    • Is it Heaps' fault? If the team does not find some glimmer of the form it had against NYCFC between now and the end, maybe so.