Revs 2017 Roster - Part 2

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ToMhIlL, Jun 23, 2017.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is just a web page error. Brian Wright (age 22) should qualify for the Supplemental Roster, and therefore be in slot 22.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind, the Revs still hold the #1 slot in the allocation order, but it expires at the end of the season (use it or lose it).

3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letting that expire with nothing to show for it would be the ultimate Burns fail.

TOAzer repped this.
  4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Given the Revs' reputation amongst players, maybe us having the #1 allocation spot is essentially serving as a blockade from some allocation-list player returning to the league and strengthening a competitor.

5. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, reverse strategy. Don't let other teams in the league just get players returning to the MLS, make them actually go out and scout players who haven't yet played in the league. We don't do that, so maybe they don't also.

swedust repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting theory, but I don't think that is how it works. If a team lower on the list wants to sign a player, the Revs have a short window to either claim the player themselves, or pass.

Waiting for someone else to scout for them? Now that I would believe...

7. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this as follows...

Suppose team X (not the Revs) has the number one allocation spot. Some player considering MLS says "why not, team X seems like a decent team in a decent city, decent reputation, I have heard only good things about the city/team/coach/etc, the league is trending up, etc." That player comes to MLS during the season and helps make a competitor better immediately and in the long term.

Suppose the Revs have the number one allocation spot. Some player considering MLS says "No thanks. I have not heard many positives about that team/organization. I see they got beat 7-0 and 6-1 recently and they just fired their coach. I don't even know who the coach will be next year. They change their playing surface more often than I go to the dentist and it is still turf! I really like that Burns guy, but at this rate he could be gone before I step off the plane. I can wait until next year. Maybe see if I can get a 6 month or one year deal in China, the Middle East, or in a lower division in Europe then check back with MLS next season when a more attractive team could swoop in and get me."

In this way the Revs having the number one spot keeps a decent player from joining MLS with one of our competitors.

a517dogg repped this.
  8. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This conversation is moot. The league in known to force teams to trade away allocation spots so that they can bring in and market a US national team player. If a player says "I want to play for X, Y, or Z" or more importantly "I don't want to play for X, Y, and Z", the league will make it happen. They will deny this, but everyone knows its true.

9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I believe that the Revs have cap space & GAM/TAM available, but am not sure. Wouldn't the Revs be able to make a legit offer to a returning player, if they have that space available? Thereby ensuring that the player either joins us, or refuses the league?
    If this strategy doesn't work, then I don't understand the point of having an allocation order in the first place.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we get Nemeth with the allocation spot? We had to trade some funny money to Cow-lumbus since they had the #1 spot. Or did they pick him and trade him to us, and we're still next in line?

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster freeze has passed, so if the Revs use it, it would have to be a pre-contract for next year.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latter. Columbus used the pick on Nemeth, then traded him to the Revs. The Revs still have the #1 slot acquired in the "loan" of allocation money to SJE.

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Well, here is some good news: Rowe is now upgraded to questionable.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

QUESTIONABLE: M - Kelyn Rowe (right knee sprain 8/20, out 6-8 weeks)

14. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Includes salaries for the following Revs:

Name - Base Salary - Guaranteed Compensation
    Krisztian Nemeth: $547,000, $655,000
    Gershon Koffie: $120,000, $120,000
    Claude Dielna: $780,000, $910,000

NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  16. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Slightly offtopic but thinking about this since the Revs' offseason will be upon us soon - another failing of Burns the GM is how poorly he's drafted the couple years. This will be two straight seasons we've had 1st round picks that haven't seen the field. McCrary didn't even make the bench at all last season and Wright made a couple cameos very early on and hasn't been seen since. McCrary got cut and I imagine Wright will meet the same fate. While not the most crucial part of roster construction in MLS these days, collegiate talent evaluation has to improve.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  17. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I like the addition of Dielna. That's very much at odds with what I was expecting when Revs announced his signing, based on his bio.

However.... this isn't good -

Either a big (huge) money mistake from Burns/Bilello/Heaps...

... or, it has come to this: the Revs are now stuck in a situation (of their own doing) that they must overpay for all levels of talent, by a colossal margin, as compared to other teams.

That's not a slam on Claude. He is what he is, which is "not too shabby!". God bless him getting this contract.

Of ongoing concern:

TOAzer, NFLPatriot and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  18. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #218 A Casual Fan, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    I like charts.

Go to interactive version - very cool
    https://public.tableau.com/profile/fennsk#!/vizhome/MLSPU9-15-17/Dashboard1

Some quick observations -

Revs salary (#13 of 22) looks to be only a third of TFC, who holds top slot.

Revs total payroll is close to what TFC pays to Gio.

Revs total payroll of $7.5M is more than $10M less than sum of what TFC pays to top 3 players (Gio, MB, Jozy)

Revs have highest team payroll without a millionaire.​

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Revs are 16th in the Supporters Shield Table, so clearly they are not getting what they paid for.

But hey, at least they didn't spend $14.36M for a wooden spoon...

TOAzer, pwykes and A Casual Fan repped this.
  20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As often is true in MLS, there's not a great correlation between $'s spent and table position. Wise spending and player development is the key for the teams that have won, most often, rather than just outspending the opposition.

That is scary as a Rev's fan, since I have zero confidence that "Watch your post Burnsie" can
    1. Spend more wisely than other GM's (Dielna and Angoua, as examples of overpaying for talent)
    2. Recruit a coaching staff that can develop young players.

NFLPatriot repped this.