Revs 2017 Roster - Part 2

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ToMhIlL, Jun 23, 2017.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Nemeth is solid B signing. However was forward a position of need? Unless Kamara is on his way out they should have been looking for a 3rd forward not starter. Dielna signing was to fill a position of need but it was a D signing. What is obvious to me is that the Revs FO cannot get it done and have no clue how to build a franchise let a contender for the title.

2. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    They are an rutterless boat TBH. Nemeth could work out very well. They could have stumbled upon something like they did JJ in 2014. Lets hope.

I am curious to see what the terms of the contract for Nemeth are. It is also important to note that we now hold the number 1 allocation spot. Columbus used their spot on acquiring Nemeth and trading to us. We were number 2 but now no1 in the allocation order.

Does anyone know of a US overseas player looking to come back to MLS? Especially on Defense. Brooks perhaps???

NateP repped this.
  3. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I see Burns using that first spot is to make a trade of his own that more than covers this one.

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Jesus. I cannot believe how lucky you guys are to get Nemeth.

I hope he shows for Heaps like he did for Vermes. But there's always the Feilhaber example, on one hand. And Nguyen on the other - though some fans are suggesting Nguyen is lacking motivation recently.

Lee's the kind of player who will always have his critics. But I think I'd pay to watch Lee Nguyen coach AYSO he's so good on the ball. Nemeth is canny and innovative and elegant like Lee. Try to count your blessings. I'd rather watch these guys than Giovinco.

And whereas Kamara's skill debt - in trying to combine with guys like Nguyen, Rowe, Fagundez and Agudelo - might have too often caused a breakdown in your offense, that's not going to be an issue with Nemeth.

RevsLiverpool, lufty and a517dogg repped this.
  5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't understand criticizing the Revs for getting Nemeth. "But we really needed a defender." I agree - but when a goalscorer drops in your lap, you snatch him up, especially if, by doing so, you deny him to another team.

I've got no problem criticizing the Revs for their failure to sign a left back. Presumably that's what all the "we offered guys contracts and they all rejected us" talk was from the FO this window was. But we essentially just got a 28 yr old Diego Fagundez! That's really good! Nemeth may well be our best (likely 2nd best after Agudelo) offensive player next season!

(Nemeth in MLS: a goal every 203 minutes, an assist every 340 minutes.
    Fagundez in MLS: a goal every 300 minutes, an assist every 367 minutes.
    Agudelo in MLS: a goal every 214 minutes (but one every 140 minutes this season), an assist every 536 minutes.)

A Casual Fan and lufty repped this.
  6. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The issue with this team is, at least among the starting XI, I don't see any real holes from a talent perspective except maybe 2nd CB and LB. I'm assuming Kamara (last year of contract), Angoua (end of loan) and Koffie (end of loan) are all gone next year.

Forward: Nemeth, Agudelo (solid 2 forward pairing)
    Midfield: Rowe, Lee, Diego, Kouassi - I would say a better-than-average midfield if all are healthy
    Defense: Delamea, Farrell are a decent core for two of the defensive slots - who knows about Dielna.

I would say on paper it's a top half of the league/competitive lineup. As much as I've defended Heaps in prior years, I think 2017 definitively proved the issue is coaching. I've noticed that when watching Revs away games on the MLS app, more and more of the road announcers are pointing out flaws in the coaching (gameplans and tactical adjustments) as well.

7. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    covers how? FInancially?

8. kzs10

kzs10 New Member

Newcastle United
    Hungary
    Aug 11, 2017
    Nemeth should be a good edition:

9. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that worries me about this guy is how much he's bounced around in his career. He's burned through more clubs than Jack McInerney. He had a great situation at SKC, but still bailed after a year. Do we really think he's going to be here next year, or is he just going to tantalize us (expensively) in this year's lost cause?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    P.S. I'm a Quakes fan... so you'll excuse my "What I wouldn't give to be spat on by the Romans" shtick.

12. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    I am hoping he is a cornerstone player TBH. He saw the light when he went to Qatar and found out how good he had it in MLS. I think he will be a great addition. We now have pieces to trade. lets see what happens.

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Let's see how Heaps adjusts now to having a "fuller" roster.

It was easy for him when he only had 11 starters that picked themselves and scrubs.

Now he has some hard decisions to make. Tactics wise he has shown to under delivering. How does he manage egos with some new guys and the guys who have already been on the team. Who now has to sit. What roles does he give players. Does he have the chops to bench someone not delivering. How does he sub.

Jay will be exposed even more so because his learning curve in dealing with stuff like this is greater since he hasn't had to do it for his whole time here. He has spent more time yelling at refs.

And agreed with others, I do not think llamosa or soehn are any sort of geniuses that are better fits.

I hope nemeth is just as good second time around, but we already got " our number 9" as a similar re-work back onto the league who wasn't going anywhere in Europe. And Heaps couldn't figure out how to use him effectively and consistently.

Agreed with others. On paper we should have a decent team. Still not showing ambitions of wanting to win MLS cup in any way other than lucky playoff run. But a decent consistent team. But the coaching situation has to be considered as a reason this team is the way it is.

lufty, BrianLBI and BERich repped this.
  14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the Hungarian Charlie Davies.

Nemeth was good for SKC in 2015 but had almost identical numbers as Charlie Davies had that year. Nemeth had 10 goals 6 assists - Davies 10 goals, 4 assists. Hopefully he comes in and makes an impact better than Kamara but I'm not expecting the second coming of JJ with this signing.

That said, I'm glad the revs pulled the trigger and got him. I remember his name from the start of his career in Liverpool Reserves but he was beset with injuries. Hope it turns out well.

dncm repped this.
  15. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they said anything about when Nemeth is apt to be available? Revs past MO suggests September, but I'm hoping that changes this year.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly he will be training with the team next week.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this has to make you feel good. :sick:

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps said "it would be better to have players with 20 games left than 12" which hints at his exasperation that Burns sucks at his job.

a517dogg repped this.
  19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most players around the world would be ready to go by mid August. Was he out of contract and not in preseason with his former team? if that was the case why was he not training somewhere? Why would be not be prepping his body knowing weeks ago he would be landing somewhere during the summer window?

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, why did Burns not complete this deal at the start of the window, not the end?

firstshirt repped this.
  21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Revolution's Nemeth says he can be even better than he was with SKC in 2015
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...th-says-he-can-be-even-better-he-was-skc-2015

He last played a competitive match in March and said in “a few weeks” he should return to 100 percent, as he was recently in preseason with his Qatari club.

March??? When the hell is the Qatari season? Was he injured?

A lot of what he says sounds exactly like Agudelo comments when he came back. here is hoping we do not see that same thing - in a rush to get back to fitness, constantly injured.

Hoping he can add something - but if he cannot play till September...

Still feels like the Revs made a panic buy and overpaid to try and save this season....but like I said elsewhere, it may be because they know they will "lose" players after this season - which still made them panic and overpay (since they really are NOT a window or two ahead)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more. There are two outcomes I hope come out of this:

Nemeth gets motivated to show what he's got, scores early and often in hopes of landing at a bigger club and somehow by the revs offense collectively outscoring everyone down the stretch in 3-2 and 4-3 wins, the acquisition effectively rescues the revs' season, while papering over the glaring cracks in the defense.

And

He fits the attack better than Kamara, which ends Kei's time with the revs in a (hopefully profitable) trade.

If the midfield can play up to their capabilities with Kouassi back, maybe they could make it an interesting fall at least.

dncm repped this.
  23. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Krafts lowered their out of pocket expenses this season by changing Kamara's designation from a DP to a TAM level player.

They not only save having to pay Kamara's non salary cap money, I think they might also get back some or all of the $150k fee needed for the 3rd DP.

======================

Seth‏ @SethMan31
    ETR confirms that Kei Kamara is no longer a Designated Player. #NERevs are using TAM on him

dncm repped this.
  24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Interesting. Makes him an easier trade target, no?

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it matters how the Revs designate him in terms of a trade. It is the team that trades for him that has to fit him in how they want either via DP or alloc. That team can designate him however they choose as long as they follow the rules.

BrianLBI and dncm repped this.