Revolution Stadium Groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part XV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Alan, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, it means that field at Harvard is being used/renovated and not available for the USOC this year. It seems ridiculous for the revs to abandon Boston entirely, though with Kraft showing the stadium plans publicly after the UMass spot fell through, it did feel a little bit like he was waving a white flag.

But Providence? Really?

For Boston people, that's even further on the commuter rail than the Foxboro area. Might as well just stay in Foxboro.

2. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how playing this game in providence has anything to do with a new stadium. They have played USOC games at Brown before without anyone thinking there was going to be a stadium in Providence.

rkupp and Crooked repped this.
  3. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EVERYTHING means SOMETHING about a new stadium. Trump tweeting that the mayor of London is a fool probably means the stadium will be built on Boston Common for all I know. How do you think these threads have generated such volume?

Someone in CA won the big lottery. They are going to build and rent out a stadium in Brookline... Made it up - totally. Discuss.

NFLPatriot, teskicks and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of the time when the Southie stadium fell through and I asked Jonathan Kraft what the next step would be. Would they consider building the Pats stadium somewhere else, like Providence or Worcester, or I dunno, maybe even Hartford?

He bit my head off! "I'm happy to talk about the Patriots with you, but I will NOT discuss the stadium situation at this point in time!" and he stormed off. I was like, "Whu..."

It came oput mcuh much later that at that very time, they were discussing the Hartford deal. Probably the only people who knew about it were him, Daddy Kraft and their lawyers, and the Hartford people. He must have thought, "who the hell is this guy and how can he possibly know about this..."

So who knows, it could be something, it could be nothing or it could be like the cover of the Brooklyn Dodgers yearbook in 1957. It featured their "bum" mascot carrying wood planks and a toolbox, and the title was "a new home!" Yeah, the only problem was, their new home was in Los Angeles!

5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This is a 30-year-plus project." -- Brian Bilello.

Yes, I might be able to believe they are capable of getting an SSS that will open in 2047...

MM66 repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ToMhIlL repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    *Sigh*

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...aps-fc-national-soccer-development-centre-ubc

Watching the video, can't help but let my shoulders slump. The Revs are further behind than just a stadium. To attract talent that doesn't turn down their offers (if BB's latest news of 2 people that turned them down - and if the $$$ was okay) is also the stuff beside the salary. The stadium AND the training facilities (along with stud coach and team ambitions) are what is going to attract talent.

Andy_B and MM66 repped this.
  10. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Chester is Lynn if Lynn went full meth lab. It's a small, industrial city that got kneecapped by white flight (my mother was born there and my grandparents moved the family out in the mid-50s). If they were to compile a worst places to visit in America list, it would easily make the top 10. And, far as I understand from my relatives still in the area, car-less people do not go to those games.

11. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Important takeaway there is the Miami stadium would be built with zero parking. They've got nearby public transit and there's already plenty of nearby parking (just get a Spot Hero app on your phone). Miami seems to get that it's building an urban stadium. No idea if it will all come together, but the Revs could learn a thing or two from the design concept.

12. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe that should be the new title for these threads. Nice to seem Bilello cozy up to the truth.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha well I guess that's why they play a lot of afternoon games!

MM66 repped this.
  14. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "At the end of the day, Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a great place to watch soccer."

dncm and BrianLBI repped this.
  17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After going to the USOC game at Jordan Field the other night, I couldn't help notice how expansive that plot of land is. Jordan Field sits within a 90 acre lot which, considering the location, is amazing. Would be awesome if the revs could do a 100 year lease and build a stadium near where the intramural fields are but let students utilize the stadium as well.

Or...ok this is a 100% pipe dream but....

If we think about a revs SSS in that area of Harvard Square, I wish they could build it in that vacant lot between HBS and Brighton Ave near the Pike exit 18 on-ramp. Wish Junior Kraft would use his HBS connection to make a $100 million "donation" but earmark the money for a stadium in the open lot between exit 18 and HBS. Maybe call it Kraft Field. Harvard would still own the land but Kraft (or whomever buys the revs in the future if they ever sell) would own the stadium. It would be so easy to re-use the Harvard Stadium parking lots and utilize the Harvard T stop for revs games. There's T access, high visibility (being able to see the stadium from the Pike), limited NIMBY issues as there are only a handful If streets around there. Plus, convenience for everyone - train and car alike. It would be a completely different set of pols - maybe the Cambridge rep would be more progressive than Southie.

18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As long as we're dreaming, why not build on top of Ohiri field (maybe keep the name, [sponsor] stadium, Ohiri field), and turn the surface parking lot in front of the Spangler center into a parking garage (tailgate on roof).

Harvard does own a ridiculous amount of land. I believe they own more in Boston than Cambridge. Partnering might be a good idea.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 RevsLiverpool, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Thanks for dreaming with me haha.

Even as ridiculous as the idea may be, yes, something like turning Ohiri into the stadium and utilizing the space around it effectively would be awesome. Make it a win-win-win for Harvard, the Revs and the local businesses. Harvard would get a gorgeous professional stadium and still retain the land. The revs get the SSS they've been aching for in a red line accessible place in Cambridge close to bustling Harvard Square with its many shops, bars and restaurants. The Harvard Square merchants get additional foot traffic before and after revs games. NIMBYs living close by are probably college students/20somethings or at minimum are fully away they are close to a college campus with a 30k seat football stadium. They would be used to some traffic. Hopefully they would not get too irritated by the additional traffic a revs game would bring.

I was curious and looked up the pols. Michael's Capuano (D) is the rep for the 7th district, which includes Cambridge. It would be interesting to get his thoughts along with Mayor Denise Simmons.

Of course, it's only a 6.5 acre plot of land so too small for a stadium footprint. Across the street near Jordan Field, I would love if they could turn the "Smith playground" which looks like a couple baseball fields on the map, and turn that into the stadium.

Ok it's a dream but we gotta think about alternatives they haven't tried yet or what's the point?

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An example...

Attached Files:

a517dogg repped this.
  21. Hockey77

Hockey77 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 3, 2017
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still holding out hope for the SSS that will rise out of the ground on game days in the Boston Common.

NFLPatriot and A Casual Fan repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, NO, NO!

It will be Revolutionary (get it?) in that it won't be tied to a specific location, It will be suspended by giant hot-air baloons and float over Boston, or wherever the traffic isn't so bad, so people can easily get to games. The Krafts are nothing, if not visionaries. Every single innovative idea the league, nay, the world has ever come up with has to do with Kraft!

As in, "Kraft sat back and watched how someone else's idea played out before deciding to jump on the bandwagon much too late.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be in Boston Harbor, no land purchase necessary:

[​IMG]

a517dogg repped this.
  25. RevRider

RevRider Member

May 12, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A floating stadium in Boston Harbor, truly Revolutionary!