Revolution Rebrand?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Brian in Boston, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #1 Brian in Boston, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    According to a Sam Stejskal piece for The Athletic, a rebrand of the New England Revolution is under consideration.

That should leave the Revs in a good place on the field next season. Major changes could soon be on the way off the field, too, as Bilello confirmed that the club is considering a rebrand. They're close to hiring a creative agency to oversee a process that could result in a new logo and a new name. Kraft cautioned that they're not fully decided on a rebrand, but they are exploring their options. If they decide to go forward, it would likely be at least a couple of years before any changes are unveiled.

"We've always thought about doing the rebrand when we built a new stadium, but I would say at this point that we probably updated our thinking a little bit regarding timing," said Bilello. "We're going through the process of evaluating the potential to do that sooner rather than later."

By now, people know my take on this issue. A new logo? Sure, I could see that. The original was never great to begin with.

However, there's absolutely no reason to abandon either the New England Revolution name, or the team's traditional red, white and blue palette. We're not talking about a team identity as egregiously asinine as Dallas Burn, Kansas City Wiz, New York/New Jersey MetroStars, or San Jose Clash.

Plus, something of the first soon-to-be quarter-century of the club's history should be preserved. The New England Revolution have played in five MLS Cup Championships, won a U.S. Open Cup in three trips to that tourney's final, and were the only U.S. team to hoist the North American SuperLiga trophy.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno about a new name. I wasn't crazy about any of the "singular" nicknames at the start of the league, but of all the names, Revolution at least made sense. Given that they considered the Nike-inspired name of New England Nitro (with neon green jerseys--suck on that, Seattle), I'm glad we did.

But a new logo would be welcome. The current one never worked. But given the steaming hot loaf of dog crap the Fire came up with, I am very nervous about what they might try to feed us...

They should start with any of the designs various people posted here and offer free season tickets for life. That would be a hell of a lot cheaper than what they might pay some hack agency, and we'd end up with a much better logo.

pwykes, Jon Martin, A Casual Fan and 2 others repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Amen to both of these.

I was already nervous before the CFire junk. Now more so, seeing their new logo.

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I also agree. I would be appalled if we had to take on some Europoser name, and have no problem with the kit. The logo, meh. This might be a good marketing opportunity - have a logo competition.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize I am in the minority, but I have no problem with "the oldest logo in MLS". But if a new and better design were implemented (i.e. not like Chicago's new one), I'd be ok with that.

Name change, after they just created 1776 Revolution Way? Um, no.

6. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My preference would be that they keep the name and logo. However, I’m totally in favor of a rebrand. They could build it around a tag line. Something like “No longer the worst!” or “We’re gonna be relevant!” If they’re really serious they could go with something like “The Pats wimpy stepbrother no more!”

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The logo is neither good nor bad - it's art, you either like it or you don't (or maybe you're indifferent). It's been clear whenever this has been discussed that people are all over the place on whether they like it or not.

As for a new name/brand, I wouldn't want them to totally discard Revolution, now that we've spent 20+ years developing an identity. I'd be in favor of some creative use of it though, i.e., Revolutionary Football/Soccer Association.

I'm rather concerned about the de-linking of rebranding with a new stadium - that doesn't sound promising as far as a stadium goes.

And, lastly, I'm wondering if this is coming from the Bruce - pushing to dust of a stale perception?

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete rebrand? not in favor. Modernizing the logo, new kits, maybe a variation to the name like New England Revolution SC I say go for it

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding an “SC” isn’t even worth doing. What are we, those cow-shagging toothless inbreeds from Columbus?

The reason the flag design doesn’t work is because you need a white background. It can’t go on a blue jersey.

10. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case (not the others) I think measure 9 times, cut once is very prudent. :)

Our logo is goofy and unwieldy -yes- but over the years it's -to me- gained a certain retro chic and it has endeared itself to me.

It's the only logo in the league never to be messed with. Therefore I find value and equity in that.

What's so bad about having an alternate logo for those who hate the crayon graffiti flag so much? To me the flag of N.E. is the perfect place to start. A crest version with that beautiful tree in the center as a suggestion. Then everyone is happy, no?

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SC was just an example. For me the reason why the logo doesn't work is it just feels like its not complete. Almost as if the designer was still working on it when they hiy a deadline and had to turn it in

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I prefer to stick with the current crest and the current name.

If the Krafts do decide to change it, it will become incumbent upon us as supporters to continue to produce Rev-O-Lu-Tion chants in Foxboro

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That was my take-away as well.

Crooked repped this.