News: Revolution Name Remi Roy Director of Scouting & Player Personnel

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Argyle, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot and dncm repped this.
  2. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This will create more plausible deniability that Mike Burns is responsible to do anything. The Revs can't find/sign players? That's not his job.

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Sounds good, hope for the best, but...

From the article:
    In his eight previous seasons with the Revolution, Roy worked as an assistant coach with the first team, and was also heavily involved with the club's domestic and international scouting efforts.

My Bold. To be honest, any scouting domestic or international has not been a super impressive track record that materialized into actual impact signings.

I can only hope that this means because he is solely focused, it will improve?

4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Our sole scout speaks English and French, but (to my knowledge) not Spanish or Portuguese. I guess we can expect more $600,000/year defenders like Dielna rather than $250,000/year Leandro Gonzalez Pirez.

5. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #5 metoo, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Considering the fact that Bilello said last year that along with running the team, the head coach was also the one responsible for finding/identifying players he wanted signed, I wonder if getting a Friedel, and/or most everyone who was interviewed, demanded that the team have an actual scouting dept?

Another question I have, does the tittle Director of Scouting mean that he will be like a director in the real world, that he'll be in charge of others working under him, or is it just a paper tittle, and his job includes being the director of the dept, as well being the chief scout, the domestic scout, the international scout, the scouting intern who gets coffee for everybody in the dept, etc? I'd guess it's more likely he's the latter of the two options, judging by the third paragraph from the announcement, which doesn't seen to imply that there will be others scouting with him, and on top of that, he will also have responsibilities beyond just scouting.

"In the role of Director of Scouting & Player Personnel, Roy will be focused on scouting and talent identification in players at the collegiate, domestic, and international levels. Roy will work with Revolution technical staff in player evaluation and will have a role in all soccer-related aspects of the New England Revolution."

I'm guessing it's just luck or kismet that, after what was surely a world wide search for a scouting Director, the best possible candidate alive happened to be a guy who happened to be working in the local area.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing against Remy, but it seems like the typical Revs way or quarter-assing it. Just like they found their first coach because he happened to be on the same flight as the Business Manager (GM) coming home on a vacation. Just like they found their second-most recent coach in the broadcast booth. Just like they found their GM pushing a shopping cart full of empty cans and bottles around the parking lot, they have just the right knack of finding the right hire without looking too far.

My guess is that in his previous role, he may have been "in charge of" scouting, but that was the fifth-most important thing on his list, one that you do if you get the chance, but no worries if you don't. At least if this is the only thing he'll be doing, at least there might be some chance of in-season trips to see players. The head coach would never be able to do that, since he will always be prepping for the next game. It is just imbecilic to think that a method like that could work, but that's what we did for many years. 22 to be exact.

But what about Friedel's posse? Didn't he have an entourage of 3-4 guys with connections, and he insisted that it was a package deal? Assuming at least one had a scouting background, is he going to be working for Roy?

7. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Oh good. This really scratches the we-better-sign-someone itch.

8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not arguing that speaking Spanish or Portuguese wouldn’t help. I can’t help wondering why the Revolution haven’t done better with their French signings. The French league itself excels at signing players from 3rd world French speaking countries (Africa)... It shouldn’t be their only pot to draw from but they shouldn’t have such mediocre results either.

a517dogg repped this.
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remi is the former GK coach so there's that.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's all talk. I'm waiting for all those connections to materialize into something greater than 1 int'l signing. Not impressed with early dividends so far.

dncm repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside PSG and sometimes Lyon/a couple others, the French league is mediocre. The revs get below average players from lower half teams (Angoua). That said I like Dielna. He's got a good attitude and is the right size for a solid MLS defender (by comparison, Angoua was not). I think he will actually stick around a couple more years.

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reading this as Remi is finding them but Burns still has to get them to agree to come here and put pen to paper

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to mention half of Belgium and parts of Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy speak french

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I read this as Friedel figuring he can oversee the keepers (his way), so this was a way to find a different role for RR.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel hired a GK coach (Reuben Garcia), so Remi was out of work.

TOAzer, metoo and rkupp repped this.