News: Revolution Hire Bruce Arena

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, May 13, 2019.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't a fan of Williams when he was a player, but I remember he took over the Metros/Red Bulls a few years ago on an interim basis and did pretty well, IIRC. When we were looking for a coach, I would have certainly thought he would have been a better choice than Heaps.
    As for Friedel's knowledge/experience, all of that may be true, but for this particular situation at this time, it was hard to see this working well. If he had gone to an ambitious USL club or worked as an MLS assistant, before coming her, he would have developed better skills in that area.

Probably the biggest flaw with both Heaps and Friedel was their inability to adjust on the fly to what an opponent was doing. If they somehow stopped you from your game plan, you need to do something else. A tactical sub or have the guys already out there do something different, or whatever. But neither of them seemed to be able to do that. I don't think that will be a problem with Arena. Or even if Lapper sticks around for a while, even he seems to be able to do that.

2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    For people expecting big immediate changes:

The league is currently out of window, so they dont really have options for changing the players. The only place changes can be made are on the staffing side

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and the heir apparent when Bruce kicks himself upstairs.

5. davidRN

davidRN Member

Oct 19, 2012
    N Central Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not really understand the dynamics of open windows for players, but can new players be hired who were retired? and in the case of the Rev's, they would not be replacing players, just adding on, and below the cap. Or can player only be brought onboard at specific times?

6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Teams cant sign on new players unless a window is open. Or rather, signings can be made, but they cant be registered to the roster (and be eligible to play) until a window is open.

Teams can release/sell players at any time

davidRN repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they can, if that player is out of contract.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Numbers are still as ugly as ever:

14 shots, but only 2 only goal (and one of the two was from a defender - Bye).
    MF/FWs only 1 shot on frame out of 11
    32% possession
    70% passing accuracy (DCU 84%)
    279 total passes (DCU 584)
    28 clearances (DCU 15)

Other than the forced substitution of Knighton for Turner, no subs used until 3 minutes into stoppage time (Caldwell).

No Castillo, Mancienne or Delamea.

goussoccer, TOAzer and dncm repped this.
  9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Saw a tweet that Charlie Davies says that with Arena, there will be no problem with funds.

Will be interesting to see who Arena goes after right away and how successful he is... (and who he gets ready to jettison - of course, some of the contracts he has to ride out that may have been poor decisions by Friedel)

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, this. I couldn't figure out what Lapper was waiting for. I think there's a good case that he cost us the win by not getting fresh legs in when he had the chance.

dncm repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible he's already receiving instructions from Bruce? Arena is notorious for the reluctance to use substitutions.....:coffee:

12. davidRN

davidRN Member

Oct 19, 2012
    N Central Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I was confused, if BA could talk a retired player to come help out the Revs, then according to you, we can sign to our limit tomorrow?
    My son plays with Escadarian and several other retired MLS players in NYC, the NYC Div 1 program is full of some quite talented players, many under 35. Lets fill up the team now, even if they didn't play each game, they could help instill a new team philosophy.

13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    When american teenagers travel abroad for their soccer careers they are ineligible to sign for their new team until they turn 18 (regardless of prior contract status). Then they are unable to play for the new team in official competitions until the next transfer window, because they can only be registered to the roster during a window.

In MLS, where all the contracts are owned by the league, some of the rules change, but roster registration rules for out of contract players are consistent around the world

14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Ugly #s, especially the shots. One comment about possession: i'm sure ceding possession for the final 35 minutes playing with only 10 skews the value, but overall DC definitely seemed to have more of the ball (and do more good things with it when they had it).

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The summer window closes in August. The Revs signed Guillermo Hauche last year on Sept 13, after the window had closed.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    OK...but I have still NOT seen anything official on the Revs site about Richie Williams joining the Revs....did I miss something (Besides a tweet??)

He's not listed under Staff either.

18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought the Revs looked more dangerous for most of the game. Of course that's totally subjective. :rolleyes:

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    a517dogg and NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about Burns rejecting a JJ signing before Jonny Kraft got involved late in the process is pretty telling too. It makes the Jones saga sound less like we ripped off Chicago and more like MLS saved Burns from yet another ignominious personnel failure of his own making.

MM66, A Casual Fan, a517dogg and 3 others repped this.
  24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much agree with Carlisle's premise, though... this is an organization that allowed themselves to fall behind other MLS teams for years.

And it's more than just player salaries. The support staff and infrastructure is sorely lacking.

Crooked repped this.
  25. revolutionaryguy

revolutionaryguy New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    You gotta be kidding! Bruce Arena? I could do better than he could.