News: Revolution Acquire Edgar Castillo from Colorado in Exchange for Kelyn Rowe

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how I feel. I see a 27 yr old Rowe going for a 32 yr old (33 in Oct) left back. I don't see any big gain for the Revs and Rowe might have been one of few that could be traded. I dont see this as a Rev win but Im happy for Rowe cause maybe this will help his career.

TOAzer, CynicRev and Crooked repped this.
  3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yeah Rowe was at best the 3rd choice CM, 3rd or 4th choice winger, 3rd or 4th choice CAM, and 3rd choice LB, and he definitely wasnt going to re-sign.

Trading him for a starting quality LB, even one who is toward the end of his career, is a good use of assets.

I wonder if this means that someone other than Espino was the topic of discussion for the Uruguayian agent in Foxboro

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Also worth questioning: Castillo was in Colorado on loan from Monterrey. It was a loan with an option to buy ending december 15. I haven't seen any news of Colorado completing the buy option, so there is a chance that the Revs dont even have Castillo yet. The option was reported to be in excess of $1M, which is a number you dont associate with the Krafts spending habits

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Revs, and every other team involved in the deal, make the announcement without everything being in order.

7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think Monterrey still own Castillo, so maybe Colorado agreed to another loan deal before trading him? I dont think they would have paid the >$1M clause just to trade him. Its also unusual to trade loaned players.

To be clear, I'm not saying this deal didnt happen. But I am saying that I think Burns is sufficiently incompetent that he would trade for a player whose loan ends in 3 weeks.

pwykes repped this.
  8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Burns is incompetent, it would require the Rapids management to be equally incompetent (or unethical) for the trade to happen.

Mind you, the Rapids website says the loan expired on Nov. 27.

9. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Press Release...

The trade was completed on Tuesday after Colorado re-signed Castillo, a U.S. international who started 28 matches for the Rapids in 2018 after an 11-year career in Mexico’s Liga MX.

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Per Maxwell (the guy who covers the Rapids):

So Burns traded Rowe for the right to spend $1M on a (fairly good) 32 yr old defender.

Also the Rapids had until Nov. 27th to make a roster decision about him by MLS rules, but the loan was through Dec 31st.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to bet that the Revs did not spend 1 million on Castillo. They probably negotiated with Monterrey for a lower price. Burns is an idiot but he is also frugal and will try and save every penny possible

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard about this trade going through on Monday night from a good friend. The only hold up at announcing the trade was the third party portion. Since he was obviously right on the info he gave me, I've been told the salary is around $250k for Castillo.

13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Thats double what the Rapids were paying him, but is still good value for an above average starter at his position. He showed he can be effective as an offensive contributor in CO, which is huge considering the Revs struggles to get positive contributions from their fullbacks

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There was a report of KC ending up with GAM/TAM as part of the deal. I hope it wasn't the Revs throwing that in - I think Rowe has more value than that.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Saw this answered in the negative in the other thread.

16. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    When people ask 'why does Burns still have a job' this may explain it. In this context he's perfect for the way the Krafts run their team.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we got Castillo, KC got Rowe and Colorado got what, TAM/GAM?

Good for us that we got a guy who certainly should start and fill a huge hole. Rowe is talented, but he really didn't have a place here. He should do much better in KC than in Colorado, so this is good for him as well. The Rapids are pretty much like the western version of us.

Good move, but I hope the Revs don't think they are "done" for the off-season.

It was discouraging to hear that they could have had a better offer for Rowe (I'd be curious what that was) during last season. It also seems like they could have gotten a decent player for Lee Nguyen last year as well. Lots of good attacking players changed hands, and we could have been in the mix for someone like Nagbe, who would have had a more immediate impact that whoever the guy they bring in this year with the GAM/TAM they got from LA.

tsb11 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio from SKC went to Colorado. The TAM/GAM went from Colorado to SKC.

tsb11 repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see how Vermes uses Rowe and if he becomes a starter a la Feilhaber where the revs couldn't find a way to use him properly.

TOAzer repped this.
  20. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I guarantee that Rowe becomes more effective under Vermes. Player development has been the Revs' biggest weakness from a coaching perspective for the past 10+ years. Burnout-era Nicol wasn't interested and had antiquated strategies, and Heaps and apparently Friedel have/had no idea how to work with college/homegrown players either.

Trading for a 32/33-year old LB is strange though. That's a move you make when you're already a contender and need depth/flexibility, not when you're in the bottom half of the league with half a dozen holes in your lineup. I hope this doesn't become Didier Domi Redux.

Jon Martin repped this.
  21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So great, another player we couldn't find a way to maximize going to K.C. where they always seem to squeeze much better performances therefore value out of them... Watch next summer how Kelyn will burn us. I can't take it any longer. :(

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I admit it is an interesting marketing strategy: systematically send off our best players to some good team X who cares to make use of their talents, and then tell the kiddies to buy tickets for Revs-vs-Team X "so you too can see our best players!".

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revo planning is season to season. Friedel didn't want Rowe and we desperately needed a lb. So, this makes a lot of sense for the Revo.

24. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Dont know how much faith to put in this statement:

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. That sounds pretty definitive, not the usually "hope" caveat.