Revisiting the right ref shoes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Nov 5, 2017.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after being away from officiating for 10 years, I'm seriously considering returning to do games (having a son who plays in tournaments means there are some chances to offset the travel expenses!). If I do decide to do this, new shoes will likely be on the Christmas list. I know there are some old threads about shoes, but what are you wearing now? 10 years ago, I wore Nike baseball trainers or Spot-Bilts (RIP to those shoes!) and then some pretty basic black and white soccer cleats for muddy fields.

I just don't see that many shoes that would work well for the running that soccer officials require. New Balance makes shoes that MLB umpires wear, but I don't know if those would work. I also don't see that many trail-running shoes that are all black or black with white logos. Any photos, links, etc. would be helpful.

2. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    A lot of games are on turf now so you'll see Nike and Adidas are most popular. They seen to be regular black tennis shoes with white swoosh or stripes. Nothing too fancy and not really turf shoes anyway. Grass fields same thing unless it gets wet to muddy then it's basically same brands in regular cleats, nothing fancy like ankle sock cleats just basic

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been going with New Balance running shoes on turf and dry grass. I have some cleats for situations where they are needed.

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I ref in New Balance 410 trail running shoes. They're cheap and available in wide sizes. I go through a pair a year.

jayhonk repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I still really like my original version Adidas Boost running shoes. I probably have 300 games in them now, heck maybe 400, so I think I got my $150 worth after all. And for cleats I'm very happy with my classic Adidas Copa Mundials. Yes, that's another $150, but with any luck I'll get two or three hundred games out of them too. I went through a lot of different shoes and a lot of pain before finding those two.

Dayton Ref repped this.
  6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I personally find that running shoes are the most comfortable for me. Your need depends on your locale and depending on what type of weather conditions you have to deal with. I lived in a dry arrid area and moved to a more wet area. So I mostly wear trail running shoes for natural grass and running shoes on turf (pending my position).
    If I have to pull out the cleats then I seriously contemplate whether the field is suitable for play ;)

As far as types of shoes. I am a Nike guy but that's bc I have a narrower foot. I use the Nike terra kiger 3 with Goretex. Those are my all around shoes. I also use a pair of lunar glides (I think 6) and a pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes. I do have a pair of copa mundials. And I am contemplating investing in adi-boost shoes

7. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Asics has a fair number of black on black running shoes. I picked up a pair of GT-1000s for $60-80 to wear on firm or artificial surfaces. They have pricier products as well. I have a pair of black adidas cleats (don't recall the model) for sloppy fields.

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Speaking of unplayable fields - the HS field I specifically bought those cleats for after having my feet shoot out from under me in two separate games is finally getting turfed this year. What a gift that will be - that field was a menace to all who came upon it.

9. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'd be happy to find comfortable black shoes in a size 15. I have Under Armor lightweight running shoes for dry fields, and those are OK. I have UA football cleats for wet/muddy ones. But for four games, the cleats hurt my heels at the end of the day.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    My son wears size 16. the best sources we have found for shoes are Zappos (though their stock is unpredictable) and buying direct from Nike's website. He stopped playing soccer before his feet became huge, so I don't have any specifics.

11. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Running warehouse .com is where I usually shop, free returns and they have crazy sizes usually and free shipping. Prices usually cheaper than local and lots of other online places.

Check their clearance tab. I normally buy last year's models at a discount.

mvgary repped this.
  12. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I typically referee in Brooks Cascadia 11's when it's moist or wet. It was very hard to find a predominantly black ones but I think that they are close enough. I used them on USL games and had no complaints.
    [​IMG]
    Typically I use New Balance Vazee Quick Trainers. [​IMG]
    They have great grip and lateral transition on dry surfaces (grass and turf).

I never use cleats any more.

13. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you've read here, you really need to get shoes that fit your feet. Some brands run narrow, others wide, etc. I personally run in and train in Saucony and they have several all or mostly all black that I use for refereeing 90% of the time.

My only set of cleats are kangaroo leather Adidas Mundial and they are as comfortable as any cleat I have ever worn but no where near as comfortable as running or trail shoes.

14. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    How important is to to have a fully black shoe? Mine have some green spots, but are the most comfortable, affordable shoe I've used. They are salomon speedcross

15. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I'll second Running Warehouse.
    They are having their gift card sale until November 10th. That would be 20-25 per cent off a gift card.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/giftcards.html
    Then use code runblog10 or fb15d with gift card for an addition 10-15 per cent off.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  16. mvgary

mvgary Member

Jan 12, 2006
  17. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
  18. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    If I ever get to AR for Bubba or Socal I'm wearing these:

loudshoe.jpg

19. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have a set of Salomon X-Ultra's that I have worn for the last 6 months. They are a bit heavy but they have incredible support. That's all I have worn since I got them. Grass and field turf.

20. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I was wondering if sanybody wore these. I have red ones I use for obstacle course racing. They're bullet proof

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    only if you bring me a pair!

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMO you can't go wrong with the Adidas Team Mundial shoe. Their little nubs give you excellent traction on turf as well as dry or wet grass fields. With these on your feet on a damp morning you can make any cut you want and not worry about ending up on the ground.. If you plan on doing games on soggy or soaked fields I would probably go with a set of cleats but I have done plenty of muddy fields in these shoes and only have to make a small adjustment to my stops and starts.

The only issue is that I can't get them shipped to California so I need to pick them up out of state.

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Performance-Mundial-Soccer-Cleat/dp/B000O3U0PI

24. AlsoRan

AlsoRan Member

Aug 17, 2005
  25. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    And they will not, WILL NOT get permanently clogged with mud. They let it go with ease.