News: Rev Roster 2018

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you knew anything about my life story you would understand how deeply I trust the value and necessity of maintaining a positive attitude and holding in mind potential workable outcomes. ;)

TOAzer repped this.
  2. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD42 repped this.
  3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can confidently say the Revs will not lose anyone to the fiery climes of California.

MM66 and TOAzer repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Burn when you Burns, Baby!.....;)

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many times have we seen them make a move only to seen no upgrade in return? Dropping a 10-15 goal scorer for a 1st and conditional second tells me they just wanted to off load him. They are probably now putting a plan together in regards to not how much of that contract they can spend but rather how much they can save

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting that they protected Farrell. My guess is they are hoping to resign him at a lower salary

dncm repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a reminder, those draft picks aren't even for 2018. The only thing they did was open up salary cap space for this year (which means nothing since we're generally under the cap anyway). As of now, this team is even worse than it was last season. Obviously there's time to improve.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We opened up some salary cap space, but mostly the move opened up a DP slot and DP budget.

Yes, our roster is less than it was, but that's pretty natural and true for most teams at this point in the calendar. This is the culling season, so far. Acquisition season is will be starting shortly.

I'm not thrilled about this deal - unless they have better plans in mind. They clearly need a number of acquisitions to fill out this roster and have resources to do it. We'll see if Friedel's hiring (and his supposed contacts) can improve on their track record and bring in some players who can transform this squad. I would think a DP is now on the shopping list and that's something to be excited about.

I like Kai, whatever people want to say about the guy, he can score goals. I don't think it's his fault that he only scored 12 last year. I think in a better situation, there's no reason he can't score 20 or more. When he had the kind of service that he's suited for, he finished at a darn good rate.

I think the cautionary tale for the Revs is that building a competitive roster is more than just added players with talent - it requires a vision of how you want to play and win and bringing in players who fit that vision. I'm pretty hopeful that Friedel has that vision, so I think we can at least expect them to be targeting the kind of players who fit that plan.

Soccer Doc and dncm repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A guy at work told me they traded him, but not for any players, I figured it had to me some sort of TAM or RAM-a-llama ding-dong or other MLS funny money. I can live with that. But a college draft pick? Whuuuuu?

When is the last time a player selected in the second half of the first round ended up amounting to anything?

MM66 repped this.
  11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed - Heaps move to add Kamara puzzled everyone in MLS. And Heaps lack of addressing how best to integrate him contributed to his firing.

So, for Friedel to come in and say - I don't want the guy, he's not the right fit, he doesn't like it here anyway, and they move him quickly - is already a good sign IMO. Agreed, we don't have "replacements" yet and I too rolled my eyes to the draft picks, so Friedel is still on the clock.

But I like already that Friedel is already making what seems to be pro-active decisions - something Heaps was horrible at.

Soccer Doc, teskicks and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I must have missed something. Originally Femi and Tierney had options picked up, and Farrell and Bunbury did not. Now they protect Farrell and Bunbury (but haven't re-signed them?), but not Femi and Tierney who they did sign?

Do I have that right? Or did they re-sign Farrell and Bunbury for lower money like firtshirt points out? Strategy here?

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh good. An open DP spot. I can understand that being key since we're using the other two already...

MM66, pwykes, firstshirt and 2 others repped this.
  14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I'm with you - jury still out in this regard.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is something of particular value in proudly not signing 3 DPs than in proudly not signing 2 DPs. Progress!

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I think it was Heap's fault that he only had 12 goals. Heaps just did not know how to manage the roster he had. That was plain and simple.
    While I have no doubt that Friedel had a vision and probably has let Burns know what is on his shopping list I have ZERO, Nill, Nadda , Zilch, no confidence Burns possesses the know how or skills to get it done. he has shown in the past he can't and has not gotten any better at it. The 8th wonder of the world is not King Kong its Burns still having a job

Doublecard repped this.
  17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Roster spots are Burn's signature

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I wasn't really rendering a judgement, just a clarification. It too soon to know if it is good or bad (it now looks like they have at least 3 big - if not all DP level - salaries available to replace: Kamara's, Kouassi's and Angoua's).
    I'm not sure that it's Burns' role to do that now. And Friedel, with his team (assistants, contacts and scouts[?]), should have plenty of time to mine for players until, when, late January?

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burns is no longer responsible for signing players?

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given club history, I'd say about May 1st... :p

firstshirt repped this.
  21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 RevsRule, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Well Im glad they offloaded Kamara. They basically gave him away since draft picks are mostly worthless BUT they did dump his salary and that's good. I just have never seen him fitting in with the others and to me he's always looked mostly out of place. I remember many times seeing him, the target forward, out near the sideline, trying to help bring the ball up the field. I couldnt help but think .... who's going to score if your nowhere near the goal? On top of that, he wasnt a great dribbler or passer sooooo that pretty much didnt work

The next step is critical. Burn's, or whoever is doing the signings, has to start actually signing new players soon. We have a good core BUT we need 3-4 more starting caliber players to contend. Plus we just opened up a bunch of cap space.... use it and get somebody good with it

dncm repped this.
  22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it isn't helpful to open up salary space but I just HATE the term CAP space:

$3,845,000 MLS Salary "Budget" (this will go up a little in 2018)
    $1,200,000 MLS TAM (but 2019 can be pulled in to achieve $2,400,000?)
    $ 200,000 MLS General Allocation Money
    $Unknown MLS Miss the playoffs or qualify for CCL GAM
    $ 125,000 Homegrown Player Subsidy (per player?)
    $ 260,000 Supplemental Roster (4 x 65K)
    $ 318,000 Reserve Roster (6 x 53k)
    $2,800,000 Discretionary Targeted Allocation Money (DTAM coming in 2018)

$8,748,000 Spendable in 2018 before you even begin to talk about covering DP Money. Clearly, the "Salary Cap" or "Salary Budget" is largely a farce. It is less than half of the pre-DP money a team can spend. The REV team salary is reported by the union as $5,800,118. They are hovering just under the 2017 total (without DTAM) except they had DPs included in that number.

How many teams in MLS are going to spend North of $9M/year in 2018? 7 did, per the union list, in 2017. Will the REVs, 18th on the union list in 2017, be among them? Imagine the potential improvement to the league if all 14 teams that were BELOW that total (many significantly) last year jump above that number in 2018...

patfan1, goussoccer and dncm repped this.
  23. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    OK, so protecting Koffie in spite of him being on loan would mean... what? Revs expect to sign him on a permanent contract? Or is that a hasty conclusion? (sorry if the question is stupid but the draft / extension system is incredibly alien to us Europeans)

He got off to a very rough start in Hammarby and many of us are kind of hoping for a solution that would benefit everyone. Seems a good guy, and not a bad player, just not a perfect fit.

24. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tinnerholm just signed with NYCFC.

RevsLiverpool, TOAzer and dncm repped this.
  25. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s probably saner to think of it as “RevsCAP space” - that is, the limit that the Krafts will pay. Because in practical terms, that’s what the Kamara move does - frees money that we otherwise wouldn’t have to get new players because the Krafts are thrifty. It’s a de facto cap.

RevsLiverpool, TOAzer and NFLPatriot repped this.