Rest of the World Football v9.1 [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA and Virginia played to a 0-0 draw and after both overtime periods, Virginia wins the national title with penalty kicks. UCLA had a lot of talent on their team and should have won, but then again in soccer, the best team doesn't always win. I watched semifinal and final for UCLA and their big star Leo Stolz didn't impress me at all. On the other hand, junior Larry Ndjock, if he elects to play in the MLS, has the potential to be dangerous scoring threat.

terps repped this.
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumored Mexico-Paraguay friendly in KC has been confirmed by FIFA.

3. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Southampton is pretty good at the soccer!

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ha, that game was hideous. I turned it off at half time. Southampton are fun when they're in charge, but their intense defending coupled with United's pithy midfield makes for a pretty dull time.

5. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't help pulling for them. They are like the Boise State of the EPL. They have a good manager, and a good talent development plan. Plus I can't stand Manchester United.

I just hope they don't actually qualify for the Champions League. They don't have the depth for that. Europa League would be better for next season.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh, I very much root for Southampton too. It's more a statement on Man U in that their games are all hideous these days.

Also hard to comment on how Southampton will do depthwise in Europe. Unless they come into a lot more money, they're going to lose a lot of their first team next summer as it is, just like last year. Let's see how they reload again, ha.

7. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They may not need to sell like they did this summer. They used the revenue from last summer to pay for their Academy upgrades, plus they get some money for qualifying for Europe.

8. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Everything after Southampton scored was pretty entertaining, I'd say.

9. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If/when Southampton makes Europa play next year, I anticipate their depth won't be too much of an issue, at least not debilitating. Take a look at Everton. Their "depth" has been ravaged by injury this season and, despite a poor league showing (which isn't really depth related), they've impressed me in Europa play. Southampton reminds me quite a bit of Everton last season.

10. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am hoping that they don't become this season's Everton next season. Spurs also did well in Europa League with a bunch of B roster guys. I think they would be in over their heads in Champions League.

11. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As long as Southampton don't insist on playing EVERYTHING out of the back with shaky CBs who can't handle the high press, they should be fine. Roberto Martinez flat refuses to change style or tactics and it has killed them this season. I don't see that out of Southampton.

ZooCougar repped this.
  12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Was also about to post this. All I can say is: FINALLY!
    New York Times:
    "Top Soccer Officials Indicted on Corruption Charges
    The Justice Department has indicted several top FIFA officials as part of an investigation that alleges widespread corruption in soccer’s governing body over the past two decades, law enforcement officials said Tuesday.
    The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering. They involve bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals, according to three law enforcement officials with direct knowledge of the case. Prosecutors planned to unseal an indictment as early as Wednesday against more than 10 current and former soccer executives, the law enforcement officials said. Some of those being charged are living abroad and would face extradition to the United States.
    The charges are a startling blow to FIFA, a multibillion-dollar organization that governs the world’s most popular sport but has been beset by accusations of corruption and bribery for decades. The inquiry is also a major threat to Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s longtime president who is generally recognized as the most powerful person in sports, though officials said he was not charged. An election, seemingly pre-ordained to give him a fifth term as president, is scheduled for Friday.
    The Justice Department was working with law enforcement agencies in Switzerland, where FIFA is based, to coordinate arrests. The investigation is based in the Eastern District of New York, in Brooklyn."

16. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hopefully it's just the start.

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'd laugh so hard if it turns out Sepp threw some colleagues under the bus in return for his immunity.

18. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, 10+ FIFA officials charged sounds kind of like the guy who gets busted for drunk driving and says its the first time they've done it. Would be great if the feds can get some of these 10 to turn on 10 others.

19. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except they squeeze the little fish to get big fish, not the other way. Holy Jebus my heart is racing, why did they have to break this at midnight?!

EDIT: I just thought of something nauseating. What if Blatter turned them in because they were conspiring to replace him as president. The election is when?

20. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL's Aaron Davidson is one of those indicted. Whoa.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i want to see that organization burn.

22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the swiss have also opened a second criminal case into fifa itself for the 2018 and 2022 world cup bids. massive... massive story unfolding here.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US stuff mainly seems to be CONCACAF/CONMEBOL related, not surprising considering Chuck Blazer was their main source for information.

I so want this to be the first domino to fall...

24. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow, this puts the NASL in a rather precarious position.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's sad how surprised I am that something is actually happening. It's been such a corrupt, untouchable organization for so long it just felt like it would always be that way.

It's a good start, but they've got a loooooong way to go.