Rest of the World Football v9.1 [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Southampton's next 10 games they have

Man City (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man United (H)
    Everton (H)
    Chelsea (H)
    Arsenal (H)
    Man United (A)

Right now to me they remind me of Charlton back when they were in the Premiership. Where they'd start the season off gangbusters and have themselves in the top 4 or so. Then they'd hit the Christmas fixture congestion, the start of the FA Cup, etc and they'd fall back to earth. Charlton's issue is the same Southampton will likely have, squad depth.

2. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Arsenal has been sketchy, as has Everton. Chelsea is a loss, but Chelsea has to slip up somewhere. And Man City is far from an automatic loss. Man U, who knows. They are really suspect in the back.

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The distance has been closing in the last few years. But that is primarily not because all these mid-table teams are catching up. It's because the teams at the top have been getting worse. Just look at the last few years in the UCL. England keeps getting its ass kicked internationally, and often badly. This scenario has more in common with the structure of MLS than you think, then. It's becoming more exciting because the top teams are not as many miles ahead of the rest of the pack at the moment. Of course, it's not due to money but to mismanagement and, frankly, restrictions on how many international players they can play. The problems they have right now is that there is a serious dearth of absolutely top tier defenders right now, and just very few of those around are playing in England. So the top teams like Man City and Man U and Arsenal too will keep struggling because they're spending all their money on some bright attacking players but leaving their defense as shit. And then when they play teams who have 9 defenders and a fast-break forward, they will keep finding it hard to stop that little one or two attempt goal spree every bunkerball team has.

4. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Some of that has to do with FFP. Some of it has to do with the fact the competition in league play is taking precedence over UCL. Fans would prefer to see their team play QPR than play Galatasaray. Since EPL teams ar being built to win the league they just seem to be less prepared to playing Continental teams that play with more finesse and who also play in softer leagues. CSKA Moscow plays lesser competition on a weekly basis than Man City.

Also Dortmund is undefeated in UCL but they are in the relegation zone in the Bundesliga, so I would be careful about drawing conclusions about league strength based on dodgy Transitive Theory borne out UCL results.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very unusual that they would use that shield design since DC United is just down the street.. :cool:

9. AdamRS

AdamRS Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Johnson County, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this thread is as good of a place as any for this. Since Sporting's now in off-season and MLS only has 5 games left, I'm starting to go through soccer withdraws. Also since MLS's schedule is weird (or the rest of the world is weird, depending on how you look at it), we at least get to watch the rest of world play. But the question is... Who should I watch play?

I'm looking for a second team to casually support. A team to root for, but not die hard like I am for Sporting. I've come up with a problem with every other league in the world not named MLS (besides not being located in KC) whether it's, for example, because I don't speak Portuguese or because Barclays is just... too overly popular. Do any of you have another team that you think is worth setting your alarm to make sure you don't miss their games?

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I could never get a second team to stick. I tried following several clubs around Europe in several different leagues and I just don't care enough. Not going to games, having no real connection to any club, it makes it a lot harder. I eventually just gave up. I just follow the leagues (to an extent) as a whole now.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm with Vividox. I don't care who wins, really, in England or Spain or anything. So I really just watch the most famous and rich teams because why not? Real Madrid is a very solid bet because pretty much every game they play is open. They always score a few goals and always allow at least one. But I don't care for them at all. I pretty much watch anything that airs, except I keep finding myself bored to death with Serie A.

12. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I treat Saturday morning EPL games as a pleasant diversion while I have some coffee, and midweek CL games as something good to have on TV while I'm working. Hopefully, I'll see a fantastic goal or a major upset.

Why? Because I tried being a Spurs fan (due to Dempsey) and saw all of Bale's amazingness, but it ended in tears. Since I'm already emotionally invested in enough teams, screw that.

13. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I love watching a little EPL. But I think the EPL is sort of like SEC football. It's just marketed and packaged incredibly well. They do a great job in bringing out the personality clashes with Mourinho and Wenger. Also, it's a competitive league where there is more unpredictability.

I've tried to root for several English clubs but I have no emotional connection and I am not into Cosplay.

I lived in Germany for three years. I lived within an hour of the Frankfurt clubs, Mainz and FC Kaiserslautern. But I had more fun watching third division matches in Wiesbaden.

14. AdamRS

AdamRS Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Johnson County, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I got myself fairly excited when Kamara went over to Norwich, thinking he might get singed on and become a fairly regular starter. That obviously was a bit premature. I might start watching a few EPL games and Championship games to see if there's a team I can get a little excited about. Either way, it'll be enough to ease my twitching from soccer withdraws... Or maybe I'll give the Comets a try, since they stream for free and 3-0 isn't a bad start :cool:

15. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get beIN Sports, try to watch La Liga. Most matches in Spain kick off around 9-11PM, so alarm setting won't be a huge issue. Best football on the planet.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Paraguay vs Mexico in Kansas? (Probably Arrowhead, in Missouri, but it's foreign media, we're all Kansas).

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the game includes any of usa, mexico, brazil, or argentina, it should be held at arrowhead. any other would likely be alright at sporting park. i think we could still do 30k+ for just about any matchup in that tournament though... given the right promotion for it (and the right pricing).

20. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sitting here watching the NCAA College Cup match between Providence and UCLA. This is a much more enjoyable game than the LA vs NE MLS Cup game.

21. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Providence was unlucky on 2 UCLA goals (the deflected-cross to Ndjock's head for the equalizer, and of course the extra time golden goal that the Providence captain own-goaled). Exciting game though.

22. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Where? I can't get it on my ESPN app.

23. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's over, it was on ESPNU. UVA v. UCLA final will be on Sunday at 11 AM on ESPNU.

24. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad for Providence, because I thought they played the better game. Very well coached team.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just gonna say that Southampton lost their 4th straight....