Resolved: the Caribbean should field a single, strong side for CONCACAF and WCQ...

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Mel Brennan, Jun 3, 2005.

1. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands

Excellent post!

I have said it many times before, it is simply not a good idea. Even IF someone could make it work, there would be people so put off by the process that they would simply stop supporting the game.

Midnight, I aknowledge and respect that you acknowledge your ignorance about the region. Many people posting here advocating for a combined team are not from the Caribbean or have any knowledge of it and are simply trying to impose their views on what would make CONCACAF better, when, in fact, better Caribbean teams is what will make CONCACAF better.

2. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Is it in bad taste to ask for some rep? Just wondering :D

3. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    I'd like to put my spin on this. I am Jamaican born and I can say emphatically that Jamaica nor TT will support a combined West Indies football team. Both countries have too much pride and will not go for it.

In Jamaica, national pride is something that people will live and die for. Besides, I've read these posts here and people seem to be forgetting one thing. If infact we somehow had a combined WI team....we would no longer have the Jam/TRI rivalry which a lot of people look forward to.

Not too mention also, there would be questions about player selection, and who would be on the commitee members would be selecting these players.

Jamaica loves their stars and so does TT for that matter. Case and point there was a big debate recently on the reggaeboyz site between Russell Latapy and Tappa.

We had TT fans on the site saying Latapy and Reggaeboyz fans stating that Tappa was better.

The rivalry is good for carribbean teams, it will spur each team on to become better. I know this cuz when Jamaica qualified for France in '98 alot of our carribbean neighbours were jealous of our success.

Since our qualification, I've noticed that St Kitts, St Vincent, Barbados and Grenada have improved a little bit.

4. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    Huh? I wasnt. alot of my friends and friends parents and caribbeans in general were supporting jamaica because they a caribbean side in the world cup. Geesh you a real cocky yard man,eh, starting trouble.lol

5. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Can you speak for all Carribbean people? Who you be? When Jamaica qualified in '98 I know for a given that alot of people from other islands in the carribbean were in fact jealous that little Jamaica got there as the first english speaking island in the carribbean.

If you think i'm cocky cuz i said that, that's your problem. The facts clearly demonstrated that issue back then.

So tell mi, which likkle small island you come from?

6. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    A little tacky, but deserved nonetheless. [​IMG]

7. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    Nope, but i was talking about the majority in the uk

No need for that everyone has a say on the site. i wasnt arguing against you i was just telling you
    I thought i could have a friendly joke with you, i know you wasnt being cocky i was teasing(islanders normally joke with each other without the seriousness,you should know that), i wasnt being insultive i was having a joke and you found it offensive. i wont joke with you again
    ***sigh*** insults, it was a joke, take it you dont like ''small island'' people. its a shame because i promote caribbean togetherness.
    Im actually born in the uk to parents from Antigua & Grenada(these are my 2nd and 3rd nationatlies,with roots else where in the caribbean aswell)
    I'm not one of these people who fly the flag in labour day/notting hill and dont jack sh!t about the country, i know in depth about both and lived in antigua for some time

8. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    I put this in the should concacaf improve thread
    theres a good squad to choose from excluding JA and TNT players
    this be nice for this competition called the unity cup in england where african and caribbean teams play each other. but not in general i think. dont think it would work

Janiel Simon (Antigua & Barbuda) GK
    Gayson Gregory (Antigua & Barbuda) SC
    Kelly Fredricks (Antigua & Barbuda) MC/SC
    Akeem Grant (Antigua & Barbuda) M
    Marc Joesph - (Antigua & Barbuda) D - Hull City
    Rolston Phoenix - (Antigua & Barbada) M

Marlon Harewood (Barbados) SC - West Ham United
    Wayne Andrews (Barbados) SC - Crystal Palace
    Tom Soares (Barbados) - MC - Crystal Palace
    Fitz Hall (Barbados) - DC/MC - Crystal Palace
    Emmerson Boyce (Barbados) - DR - Crystal Palace
    Mark McCammon (Barbados) - SC - Brighton
    Paul Ifill (Barbados) MR - Sheffield United
    Mark Boyce (Barbados) -DR/C
    Gregory Goodridge (Barbados) - Brittons Hill(club in Bar)
    Kenroy Skinner (Barbados) SC - Sagior Youth Milan (club in bar)
    Ian Taylor (Barbados) - MC - Northampton Town
    Adrian Pettagrew(Spelling) (Barbados) - Chelsea Res
    Llewlyn Riley - (Barbados) SC
    Matthew Joesph - (Barbados) DR - Canvey Island
    Alvin Rouse (Barbados) GK - Sligo Rovers
    Jonathan Straker (Barbados) DC - Sligo Rovers
    Randy Millar (Barbados) ML - Sligo Rovers
    Rivere Williams (Barbados) - Sligo Rovers
    Luther Watson (Barbados) -
    Eric Lavine (Barbados) SC - Longford Town
    Michael Forde - (Barbados) MR/MC - Sagior Youth Milan

Jason Lee - SC (Cayman Islands) - Boston Town.

Alvin Bubb - MC (Grenada)
    Byron Bubb - MR/SC (Grenada)
    Anthony Bedeau - D/M/FC (Grenada) - Torquay
    Kellon Baptiste - GK (Grenada)
    Franklyn Bastiste
    Ricky Charles - MRL/SC (Grenada)
    Sharlie Joseph - DMC - Grenada - New England Revs
    Anthony Modeste - D/MC (Grenada) - Portmore United
    Patrick Modeste - (Grenada) - QPR (that’s QPR in Grenada)
    Jason Roberts - SC (Grenada) - Wigan
    Delroy Facey - SC (Grenada) - Oldham
    Craig Roscastle - MC (Grenada) - Sheffield Wednesday
    Ashley Sestanovich - MR (Grenada)
    Camron Jerome - SC - (Grenada) - Cardiff

Nigel Codrington - SC - (Guyana) San Juan Jabloteh

Wayne Dyer - MC - (M'rat) - Hinckly(Spelling) Town
    Lloyd Dyer - ML (M'Rat) - West Brom Albion
    Junior Mendes - SC (M'Rat) - Huddlesfield Town

Calum Willock - SC (SKN) - Peterborough
    Adam Newton - DR/MR (SKN) - Peterborough
    Sagi Burton - DC (SKN) - Peterborough
    Atiba Harris - MC (SKN) - Cadiz
    Ian Lake - SC (SKN)

David Flavius - mc - (St Lucia)
    Earl Jean - (St Lucia) (W-Connection)
    Anton Ferdinand - (St.Lucia but most likely to play for England) West Ham United

Nathan Abbey - GK - (SVG) - Boston United
    Jamal Ballantyne MR - (SVG)
    Julian Charles SC - (SVG)
    Wesley Charles DC - (SVG)
    Shandel Samuel SC- (SVG)
    Julian Joachim SC - (SVG) - Boston United
    Rodney Jack - SC (SVG)
    Kendall Velox - MF - (SVG)
    Ezra Hendrickson DC – (SVG)

9. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    If I remember clearly, there was a lot of mixed sentiment. I think the most hostility came from Trinidadians who felt that seeing what the Strike Squad had achieved in 1989, and their predecessors in 1974 we were virtually 'reserved' the title of first english speaking caribbean team to qualify.
    That said, I think most right thinking people were glad that they didn't advance but still happy that Jamaica beat Japan, just to prove to the world that Caribbean teams could be competetive on the world stage.

I assume that the 'diaspora communities' were a lot more supportive of the Jamaican team than the different countries back in the islands themselves. We tend to become all friendly friendly when we get out into the 'white man's' cold (as in a university setting) and support the West Indies alltogether once they get to england and beat them (its been a while now :eek: ) but when we're home we quarrel about who's been selected lol.

PS: Humour usually comes across very badly across the internet, even when we use smilies...If I were you BBC, I wouldn't worry too much about Warlord's barbs; his jamaican roots show through a lot...that's why he's so aggressive :D

10. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    LOL funny joke :D Im not worrying at it atall. i hope he knows i was joking

11. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

I have absolutely no problem with peeps from smaller islands, I just wanted to know where you came from. Maybe in the UK people were supportive but in the US here, alot of people were not at all. I would support any carribean team that makes it to the hex in concacaf....but that's just me.

Anyways, on a realistic level i think only Jamaica and Trinidad will continuously advance to the hex everytime cuz they always seem to. The other teams I mentioned have improved a little but they still have some ways to go.

Now back to the topic, A combined WI team will never happen. There's too much pride especially for Jamaica and Trinidad. One always think they're better than the other......although historically, Trinidad dominated Carribbean football. They've won the Carribean cup like 9 times but Jamaica has been more dominant in recent years. :)

12. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    And why would you think that I'm aggressive? Are you saying then that only Jamaicans in this world are aggressive? I think not. Maybe I should remind you that even tho I was born in Jamaica, my blood also has a bit of trini in it as my father is half trinidadian.

So you should not be so quick to judge me and other Jamaicans on this board ;)

13. Kick The Ball

Kick The Ball Member

Jun 13, 2001
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Craig Roscastle could represent Trinidad also.....

Caribbean players based in T&T (Jamaica players apart)...

Antigua...

George Dublin - D - Joe Public
    Gayson Gregory - F - Joe Public

Guyana...

Nigel Codrington - F - San Juan Jabloteh
    Devaughn Dummette - M - San Juan Jabloteh
    Kayode McKinnon - M - Caledonia AIA Fire
    Howard Lowe - D - North East Stars
    Charles Pollard - D - North East Stars
    Travis Waterton - M - North East Stars
    Kelvin McKensie - M - North East Stars
    Walter Moore - M - North East Stars
    Abassi McPherson - M - Joe Public
    Carey Harris - M - Joe Public

Montserrat...

Jaffar Munroe - F - North East Stars

St Kitts...

George Isaac - MF - W Connection

St Lucia...

Earl Jean - F - W Connection
    Elijah Joseph - D - W Connection
    Randolph Jerome - F - W Connection
    Vernus Abbott - M - Caledonia AIA Fire
    Titus Elva - F - Caledonia AIA Fire

St Vincent...

Kendall Velox - MF - North East Stars
    Melvin Andrews GK - Joe Public

Plus many more...

14. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    Even though i have Trini Blood. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    say it ent so :( poor Grenada they gonna lose out

15. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    What ones are there from Grenada?

16. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    I thought you were born to parents from Antigua and Grenada? So now you have roots from Trini :D

Next you will have a distant grandfather from Manchester parish in Jamaica :D

17. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    I have I didnt say my parents were from TRINIDAD i said i have roots there(think about it Grandparents, DUH). BUT WAIT isnt this the Jamaican who said their dad is half Trini??? Go and learn about the connection with Trinidad & Grenada. If you decided to learn about TNT you probably wouldnt of asked that question plus didnt you here me say poor grenada(because thats one of my countries of orgin and their a smaller nation)?

18. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    NO, NO Jamaican blood ;)

19. Kick The Ball

Kick The Ball Member

Jun 13, 2001
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Craig Roscastle was about to make his T&T appearance in the last game when we played Costa Rica back in March I think, but due to our stupid laws he was refused a T&T passport from our government.... hopefully things will change.....

Anthony Modeste played in T&T once but was sold or off load...

Tobago United about to sign 2 Nigerian Players.....

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=4000.msg29303#msg29303

20. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

I've never lived in Trini, but I've visited there on 2 occassions. You live in the UK so you cannot tell mi bout Trini. BTW your point about mi fadda being half Trini.....fyi, mi fadda met mi madda while working in Jamaica in the late 60's and 70's ...so know your facts before yu talk.

Furthermore, I'm quite aware that people migrated to TT from smaller islands that doesn't make them true Trinidadians if they weren't born there. Mi fadda was born there.

You said you have "roots" there....that doesn't make you Trini if NONE of your parents were born in the island ;)

21. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    YOUR NOT READING ARE YOU. I said i have Trini BLOOD. Just because i live in the UK dont mean ********. Lots of Trinidadians live in the UK does that mean they cant tell you about Trinidad? As I said ive lived in the caribbean and know caribbean History so dont talk to me like im stupid. My Grandmother was born dere hence the Trini Blood. I never said i was Trini I said TRINI blood people said they have irish blood but you would interpret that to them said they irish so dont do it with me. BTW your part about not being true Trinidadian who more Trini a person born and bred in Trinidad to Grenadian Parents(Because theres lots of Grenadians in Trinidad hence the saying Trini-spice,BTW its wasnt people from all over the islands 95% of them are from Guyana or Grenada) or some whos has Trini parents but neva lived there ??????

22. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Since you didn't know im gonna let you in on something. In Trinidad, there are Guyanese, Grenadian, Jamaican, Vincentians, Venezuelans, and to a lesser extent some other small island peeps that live there. Now you keep talking about you grew up in the Caribbean. I grew up in Christiana which is near Mandeville in the parish of Manchester/Jamaica. I didn't sit in England and do research ova di internet bredrin.

23. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    I read books on my history, its relevent where ever you live. As i said I spent some of my life in Antigua, St.Johns

24. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    I know that but we know where the majority are from, Guyana and Grenada. Most Vincys go Grenada first (no thats no from research thats from me being there and know that) and I know Venezuelans live there one of my best friends daddie is Trini-Venzuelan

25. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Cho.....Mi nuh have time fi dem dey ediat argument. Big up who fi get big up and small up who fi get small up.