**Rescheduled** EJ & Adu: Aek - Aris (Playoffs) Sunday 5/9 9:45AM EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, May 3, 2010.

1. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i'm very disappointed for the defeat, i would see next year adu in champions, but i think cuper did a lot of errors, you can't put in meriem and not adu, and the defense was imbarassing... nacho garcia must play and prittas not.. i think adu and koke are the star of this team, todey cuper could use only freddy, and didn't use him.. i'am very disappointed

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How did Nacho Garcia play today?

3. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aris friends, was there any mention of Adu having a minor injury?

After he got fouled by Contreras last week, Adu was limping and was subbed soon there after by Koke.

Maybe that is why Meriem came in instead of Adu because Adu was being protected.

4. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Didn't hear anything like that. Most sport sites here were predicting him or Meriem to start but none of them did. He just didn't play in this game. He might start in the next one, who knows...

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice header by EJ.

I'm a bit curious about the "fight" EJ had with Majstorovic. I don't think I have ever seen EJ get angry.

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    EJ was plenty angry on the field, and so was Majstorovic. EJ's teammate was getting bounced back quite a bit as he kept trying to push EJ away from the guy. This was during the game, during a stoppage. Even after they got started again, EJ continued to have a lot to say to the guy. Not surprised at all that something continued afterwards.

9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wow.... Old EJ is back!! That header is classic EJ when he was red hot in MLS!

10. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I cant understand what Calvo was thinking. He was the Worst player of the game.
    Anyway here are the highlights
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dduOMiDXqy4&playnext_from=TL&videos=LPiYMufHlZI"]YouTube- aek aris 4-2 play off (9-5-10)[/ame]

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Campora red carded for his little tug on the AEK player who then fell to the ground like he was shot? Just before EJ got into a shoving match with Majstorovic.

12. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    The Calvo non pass to a wide open Johnson seemed very selfish

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Aris had 2 two-on-ones with the goalie blown, and neither one passed. That's just not good enough.

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    EJ was wide open for that header. EJ is confident people and we all know how that goes. I'm happy for him, he needed this loan!

15. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, EJ's creating chances, could've had a hat-trick. He had a header straight at the keeper, a tap-in goal had Calvo decided to pass earlier and a shot from outside the box & a shot straight at the keeper in the 2nd half. You could tell he was busting a lung out there, specially in the 2nd half, IDK if it's because of the USMNT/WC chance or he really wants Aris to get CL football or he was just plain mad at the bald guy he was jawing with(could be all of the above), in any case it's nice to see.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aris fans love Cuper, but I've gotta tell you, the team does alot of dumb shit. The red cards, not converting 2 v. 0s, giving up leads up a man. Not just this game, either. He's either got to coach better or get smarter players, one or the other.

The shame is that EJ was in line for some real accolades, drawing the PK and then scoring a goal.

17. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah EJ was really possessed today (and I've never been an EJ supporter) but you got to give him his due, he was very gutsy today and all heart. He was willing Aris to win but the rest of the team had other ideas.

Calvo-What's his problem?
    Meriem-Invisible- again. What is it with this guy? When I watched an assload of Monaco he did the same shit. He was decent early on but as the season progressed he played worse and worse. I really think he's tired or not in shape. (maybe a combination of his age and the way he plays, I mean he runs a lot)
    Cuper should've notice Meriem's drop in form 3 games ago it's very obvious I would say. Blinded by Meriem's resume?
    Campora- Even though the guy took a dive, why even get near the dude? Why give the ref a chance to make a mistake? Very stupid attitude to have in a game where the AEK knew that the Ref was a clown and took advantage of it, at Aris's expense. In South America they call this "picardia" and the ARIS players/Refs fell for it hook line and sinker. They need to be smarter than that.

You can't blame the refs, and old saying in American sports is only losers blame the refs.

Javito- He tries hard and I hate to say anything negative about Javito but he needs to start producing something soon.

The only thing I can think of is that with the grueling schedule coming up that he set up a rotation and Adu was set for the Wed. match and then when Calvo got red carded well then he has to save someone for that game and I guess it's Adu.

Sucks that Adu didn't play but losing like that sucked even more, what a bullshit way to lose. It was like my Dolphins losing something like 67-10 in a playoff game. Totally heartless and gutless...:mad:

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    This must be very frustrating for our Aris friends.

With a CL berth on the line, the team is not a bit inpsired.

It looks to me like they're not even giving 50%. That's just unacceptable.

19. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    for Aris fan, i think that aris is a good team for europe league, but champion's league is very very hard, with teams like liverpool manchester barcelona roma inter, so the europa league i think is better for aris that can play better and try to fly hight

20. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be disappointed if E.J. doesn't get a call in on Tuesday, but I am understanding that with the form of Buddle and Gomez, that it might not happen. I am not a fan of Casey. I respect that he has had some important contributions in the past, but I feel like we can do better. I love the resurgence of Buddle and Gomez, I just also would love to see E.J.'s form rewarded with a call up. Once he is in camp, then Bradley could evaluate who makes the team and who doesn't. Current form is critical in building a World Cup roster. I hope Bob does not leave places for the camp unused if he is not calling up E.J. I am not saying that he belongs in South Africa. All I am saying is that he deserves the opportunity to be in the camp - at least in my opinion.

21. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    How many more games in this playoff?

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I watched a highlight clip of this game. The idea of passing the ball does not look like it has really caught on in the Aris team!

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weird thing is that they have started playing so badly, without energy, cohesive passing, and only playing long ball, in the playoffs. During the season they were much better.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They really need Koke on the field!

25. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Hopefully, all the potential forwards will get runs out during the friendlies. I'm as skeptical as anyone else on the EJ front and I'm not sure his style of play fits with your team, but it is not like we are bursting at the seams with even modestly successful forwards in europe. So we should give the man a chance.