Request for tech help - not specifically LAG related

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Cadaver, Feb 14, 2018.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to be able to watch streaming video of games on my television rather than my computer or tablet. I have an LG "smart" TV (probably smarter than I am) and would like to be able to broadcast from my computer or tablet to the TV. The LG comes with software that enables me to do that with saved video files, but as far as I can tell that software doesn't work with streaming video. The TV is already on my home network.

I have looked at Chromecast and Roku, but have no experience with either, nor am I sure they will do what I want. Ideally I don't want to pay a monthly subscription fee on top of what I already pay for DirecTV and internet access.

If anyone here knows if these (or some other device) will do what I want, and can educate me on the pros and cons, I would be grateful. Thanks,

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I use both Roku and Chromecast.

The Roku has a remote control and a ton of channels available for it and is easy to use.

The chromecast you have to stream from your phone/tablet/PC using the app for what you wish to stream.

The chromecast is cheaper for sure, but personally i'd go for a Roku.

3. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For MS Windows you want to use miracast receiver. For MacBook you want Apple TV. Then you can wirelessly mirror your laptop screen to the tv.

Don’t get the cheap $20 devices. Get Microsoft receiver($50) or real Apple TV ($150)

4. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to be sure I understand. When you say Chromecast requires the use of an app, do you mean a Chromecast specific app or do you mean a more generic app. Like, if a game is streamed on YouTube (like the USL matches) or is streamed on the LAG web site, can Chromecast serve as a bridge to get the TV to show the streamed video? Sorry to need to be spoon fed, but this is one technology that I just haven't kept up with.

I don't really need all the extra channels that Roku provides because a lot of stuff is already built into the TV, like Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc. And I have never even looked at them. For me, simple is better.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to respond

5. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do I get for the extra money - are we talking quality of reception or some other features? As I mentioned to Profiled, for me the simpler is the better.

And thank you too for responding.

6. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cheap ones stutter, freeze and disconnect often—at least the ones I tried. Use the miracast and Apple TV in conference rooms and media carts. Expanding to classrooms soon I hope. They work great, as long as you’re MacBook is post 2012 or your running windows 10. Need to make sure to update to latest WiFi card driver on laptop if you have problems.

And the ones that say they do both are a complete waste of time and money. If someone knows different I’d LOVE to hear what you’re promoting

7. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And miracast works with any android or windows phone/tablet to mirror. Apple TV with any iPhone or iPad

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What you do is within an app, say Netflix, or MLSLIve, there's an option to cast (a little icon that looks like

[​IMG]

You select that and it will show you a list of all devices you can cast to.

So it's up to the individual apps to enable casting, not a specific casting app (though google home does provide a front end).

You can also cast from a laptop as others discussed above, casting a web browser tab for example.

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Again as far as reliability and simplicity I'd really push Roku over casting. Casting works great, except for when it doesn't then it can be annoying. Plus having to control it with another device vs. the simplicity of a remote also plays a part in complicating things imo.

10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Cadaver: If you want to be spoonfed, please let us know about your system. First you have stated that you can get video streams on your PC and tablet. For the sake of simplicity I am assuming that you have a wifi signal that reaches your TV. If so you have options.

1) If the program being streamed is on YouTube start the built-in YouTube app on your TV and watch away. Don't bother with your PC or tablet. It probably has been tweaked to give the best performance. If it isn't on YouTube (or some other app built-in to your TV) continue on.

2) If your PC or tablet supports an HDMI out feed, you can buy an HDMI cable for a very small amount of money. Hook it up, select that HDMI input on your TV and you are set. This will probably give you the best picture for your money but beware long HDMI cables (more than 15ft).

3) If you want a wireless connection and don't want to spend any money, check to see if both your TV and PC/Tablet support MIracast as wcmanes indicated. Many but not all newer TV's have Miracast technology from Intel built-in. Older devices like my top of the line Plasma from March 2013 don't. With PCs its operating system related. Windows 8 and 10 definitely support Miracast. Miracast allows the TV to function as a secondary display for a PC, Mac, cell phone or tablet. I believe this occurs over a direct device to device wifi connection. To check this on Windows 10 and your TV on, go to Settings, Display and then look at the bottom for "Connect to a wireless display". Clicking on this will bring up a list of devices that are close enough for the computer to connect to. You need to follow your TV's instructions from there. Once your connected, you now have two displays. Stream away.

If your TV does not support Miracast natively there are literally hundreds of devices that support the same functionality using a HDMI connected "stick" or cable. I am looking for one myself and they seem to differ on capability (e.g. HD vs 4K) with the Microsoft cable being thought of as the gold standard for streaming from Window devices.

3) A Chromcast device is like one of these HDMI sticks except that to the best of my knowledge it doesn't display the PC or devices entire screen only the contents of selected apps like a browser.

3) A Roku or Firestick can eliminate the need to use a PC or tablet entirely. For example if the game is being on ESPN or MLS you should be able to get to it via the ESPN or MLS apps. There are all kinds of channels and capabilities that can be installed on these devices. Some allow you to watch stolen programming.

11. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    StillKickin repped this.
  12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    One thing you might think about is trialing an OTT service. OTT being an internet based replacement for standard cable/satellite service. Many companies provide it starting at $40 a month you get ~60 channels. Sony has Vue, Google as YouTubeTV, Dish has Orange/Blue, DirectTV has DirectTV now. I’ve tried most, been happy with most and found cancelling to be relatively painless. YouTube TV was the worst. Bonus if you sign up and cancel they’ll usually hound you to return and offer to a “free” Roku/Chromecast/AppleTV. So over the course of the year you could probably cancel your cable, sign up for and cancel various of these services and acquire a Chromecast, Roku and AppleTV for “free” (DirecTV is offering an AppleTV right now up front if you pre-pay for 3 months at $35).

All that to say I vote for Roku or AppleTV. Casting or AirPlay while very solid still don’t approach the simplicity of a dedicated device with a remote and on-device applications. It’s considerably easier and more reliable to launch the YouTube app or the NBC Sports Live app from Roku or AppleTV IMO and my cord-cutting days go way back to using an iPod video with RCA cables to watch Battlestar Galactica on my TV.

Personally I think AppleTV with its last update is the better option for sports since you can set your favorite teams and the software finds where those games are playing across all services available and they’re “just there” in the “watch now” queue, no hunting around through various apps which is an annoying and unnecessary holdover from cable/satellite TV.

13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While I agree with pretty much everything you have said, I believe there are a couple of caveats or perhaps gaps in my knowledge.

First and foremost it is my understanding that in order to get the vast majority of Galaxy games live over an internet feed that you have to subscribe to a TV service that provides Spectrum Sports Nets. As far as I know that means a cable or satellite TV service provider and implies you can't just cut the physical or virtual cord. I checked a while ago and none of the internet only services supported Spectrum Sports Net. I also found that other sports channels were also frequently missing or not available at all even at extra cost (e.g. Fox Soccer Channel, BeIn Sports and in my case the Pac12 Network). I haven't checked Univision either.

Second, in order to see if you are saving money by cutting the cord, you need to check on what the cost of your internet service alone is without TV and perhaps phone. Ditto adding up all of the other packages you may need to buy to get equivalent programming.

Finally, as a plus for Roku, their Spectrum TV app is pretty decent and you can use it to eliminate cable boxes and reduce the monthly hit.

14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Correct Spectrum Sports Net isn’t available on any of the OTT services I’ve tried. As far as non-regional sports networks though every OTT service I’ve chosen even at the cheapest level has had a very good selection. Obviously your miles will vary based on what you want, but for me following Spurs (FA Cup, CCL, PL), Galaxy, USMNT and England the only games I wasn’t able to get were Galaxy local games (which was both annoying and a blessed relief last season)

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. It appears my TV predates built in Miracast support, and an HDMI cable to my PC would be long and in the way. I wasn't planning on cutting my DTV cable service, so I know I can get the LAG Spectrum games as is. That's not a considetration.

Yes, I have a home wireless network that links my Windows 10 PC, my printer, and my DirecTV box and my iPad.

What I am looking to watch are USL games that are streamed live on YouTube. I will again try the LG's built-in YouTube app first, but I recall trying streaming video on the LG's built-in YouTube app and it didn't function. But it could be me that didn't function correctly Worth another shot..

The other odd-ball thing that I would like to watch is BTNtoGo, the mobile Big Ten Network sports app, At the moment, I watch it on an old iPad. If Roku has that app as an option it sounds like Roku is attractive, but wouldn't that involve an additional monthly subscription if it is an option at all?

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Nope. Roku will stream YouTube out of the box for free. You can think of it like an iPad without the screen and an HDMI out. Just like YouTube is free on your iPad it’ll be free on Roku. Depending on your current cable subscription/satellite you’ll also be able use things like NBC Sports Live and the ESPN App to watch games that way.

The Cadaver repped this.
  18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looks like it's available -

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/66258/btn2go#!

19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    in terms of the YouTub app on your TV, I would check it again. Look at some popular postings to get a gauge of how picture would be. FWIW, Galaxy streaming of all content has been very poor in the past, but has improved by several quantum levels over the years. Note, the actual start of the feed may be black or a screen saver. I have seen over 45 minutes of "filler" especially for things like Galaxy news conferences. I usually wait a bit until the game has started and then look for the stream. You can usually "rewind" to the start of the game via trial and error. I subtract the game time from the stream feed time to approximate the point in the feed where the game starts.

From what I can see Roku has the BTN2Go app. If your DirectTV service provides the BTN service, I believe you can get the BTN2Go content on any supported device including Roku at no additional charge. BTN plus content seems to be an additional charge.

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog and profiled repped this.
  21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #21 profiled, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Just as a follow up, one of the reasons I've been big on Roku vs some other options is they don't (well until recently) have much of an eco system to push that the other players all do (Amazon, Apple, Google), which I like to think gives me a little more confidence that they'll be fairer in support for various other services.

Lazy Assed Assassin and 73Bruin repped this.
  22. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    As a counterpoint they’re the increasingly reliant on advertising to subsidize their hardware & licensing revenue streams and they’re not as immediately upfront about that as Amazon or Google. I’m not sure how long they survive as an independent, revenue was up last year but costs were up even more and they posted loses of ~$50m.

They seem destined to be acquired by a discount Chinese TV maker.

profiled repped this.
  23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched last week's Galaxy game this way.

I'm using it with a MS Surface table running Windows 10. It should stream with an android phone if you download the Miracast app. However, I've had trouble streaming from the newer Samsung models (S7 and up)

24. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I use BTN2GO on iphone with lightning to HDMI adapter that I got years ago. Same with ESPN2GO and any other app that supports it. Based on this thread it sounds like there's lots of newer better ways, but if it ain't broke...

The Cadaver and 73Bruin repped this.
  25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    There are definitely newer ways, but they are not necessarily better from a picture quality point of view. Wifi signals are subject to all kinds of interference (especially the 2.4ghz channels). IMO, wired connections always provide a better picture with fewer hiccups.